Well, I am officially "old".... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #41

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I agree Jim. I think Jim N.'s suggestion was more tongue in cheek than anything. You know Jim!

I'm just back from my daily walk, finally a decent day, up to -6C and no wind! Can hardly wait to get away to more heat end of Feb.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

Exactly....
Old 01-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #43

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
No!

But normal stuff? Yes.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For those over 60, how about hiking, biking, working at stuff, sight seeing, bocce, Frisbee tossing, and active stuff like that during the day? Much better health wise.

Evenings around the fire is a great time for silly chatting, music and of course a cocktail or five.

Am I weird and off base? LOL
Perfect, except you forgot skiing.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #45

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I was wondering.

Did you feel old before they told you that you were old.

Or did they have to tell you that now you are actually old..
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:12 AM   #46

I think the feeling of aging increases with the passing of your contemporaries....
Old 01-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #47

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Your realization of mortality gets especially focused when a young man who was one of the boys in your Scout troop who came in at age 11 is the reason you’re standing in line to pay your respects at the funeral home and he was only 35.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I never felt old until at a reunion one of my former students introduced me to his granddaughter who would be attending Oswego (the college where I was still teaching) in the fall.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #49

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I never felt old until at a reunion one of my former students introduced me to his granddaughter who would be attending Oswego (the college where I was still teaching) in the fall.
My father taught middle school for almost 40 years. He knew it was time to retire when he had a grandchild of one of his original students come through.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #50

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
ID'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
I keep getting you want a 'senior' discount and I'm only 60! Took advantage for haircut and movies, why not! Most millennials couldn't tell the difference between 50 and 70.
I was getting long in tooth but the tooth broke off so I am good now.

Stopped in at a hardware store and the guy in front of me asked for the seniors discount which the clerk gave. When I asked about it, the little snot nosed punk asked for my ID to verify my age. I laughed as I gave it to him and asked if he really enjoyed doing the age check... He smirked, and said it was karma. I qualified for the discount.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #51

The karma is going to be when all of those youngn’s see their taxes and other forms of cost of living go up as our generation ages out and they were too busy to learn how to get by cheap and are fleeced by the opportunists out there who know how incompetent the new population is. Like charging people extra for a cut up Chicken, cut up fruit and shrimp arranged in a circle on a plate. That will be karma. Especially if they ever turned down any lesson when it was offered for
free
Iowa Dave
Old 01-26-2020, 11:14 AM   #52

I found out yesterday that Italian tomatoes have the exact same ingredients as stewed tomatoes but cost .20 less per can. Most people these days do not read the labels....
Old 01-26-2020, 12:08 PM   #53

My old commissioner is a terrific grower. I showed him a seed catalog the other day and he admired some heirloom tomato varieties. He especially liked a near black tomato. I’m about to order seeds and think I’ll get him a couple packs to try. His wife cross pollinates day lilies and has a couple new recognized varieties. He has 8,000 plants in his growing field. If you’re interested in day lilies and are near Cedar Rapids I’d be happy to introduce you. The peak bloom is close to the Fourth of July. I figured we could all use a little summer daydream today
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
EE5FB281-2A3B-407A-994C-A793B5911D62.jpg   8976BDD3-6391-49C7-8196-3B0C5BFB21D6.jpg   816E91CE-4EDE-473B-8E94-9AA3E9A0A655.jpg   BB496926-8D0B-40C5-B391-6A24A84D1B57.jpg  
Old 01-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #54

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Here is what I did. Warning, balance test ahead! NOTICE: NOT FOR EVERYONE!!!

Get an electronic skateboard. Takes about an hour to get off of beginner speed. Actually quite easy! Then I started ripping around the neighborhood. About 10 MPH. Not a big deal. Great brakes!!!

I have jumped off several time but I have not fallen once. Got all the safety protection. Totally wonderful!!!

Totally fun, once you get the muscle groups worked out. If you get fatigued, just stop and wait for things to calm down. You have to build up your muscle group strength. Not hard!

Not for everyone, but GREAT fun and a GREAT way to get around. You can easily, in control (I always stop for people that are perplexed by this, including dogs) you can cruise around your local streets. Streets seem to be more fun than bike paths. What a great way to get around campgrounds. Totally silent. Nothing but electricity.

I feel 20 years younger.

I know there will be people that object to the very idea (in principle), but this is quiet fun!

A few years ago, my wife and I were in the Cranbrook BC geocaching. There is a 28 km rails to trails paved route from Cranbrook to Kimberly and has several geocaches along it. We were spending the day riding bikes along it and getting the caches. We would do a section, ride back to the car and move onto the next access point.

We were finishing the day off and had just ridden back to the car after doing quite a lengthy section that went down a long hill and back up it. As we sat in the car, an elderly lady pulled up and got out of the car. I thought to myself that she must be going for a walk. Nope, she pulled a set of inline skates, a helmet and elbow pads out, put them on and went onto the trail. We were having a late lunch so were still there when she returned.

I had to go and have a chat with her because I was so impressed with how well she had skated and the speed she did it. Not super fast but faster than I thought a lady in her 60's should be going. One of the the first things I asked, politely of course, was her age. 73 she answered. I has floored, here was a lady 20 years older than me at the time that had just demonstrated how high the fitness bar should be and how much work I needed to do to get there. (Still nowhere near it)

We had a nice talk about places lived and family. She mentioned her son lived on Vancouver Island, were we reside, and I wondered if he knew his mom at 73 was ripping it up on inline skates and whether he would be worried about it. I think I would be if she was my mom but it showed me that when done properly and in the right frame of mind, you shouldn't limit your activities because some may perceive that you're too old to do it.

(I guess I'll go for a walk now but with a smile thinking about her)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #55

Trailer: Combi-Camp, Trillium, Casita, E21 next
I was fortunate enough to go heli-skiing. In our group we had a 61 year old lady who skied circles around us, I'll not forget.... I was 25 years younger....
Fred K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
When they ask me if I want help carrying my groceries out and I have two bags, one with a loaf of bread and package of buns and the other with a half gallon of ice cream, I say “I’m feeling especially strong today, I think I can get it.” Usually gets a smile. When I buy a six pack on a hot summer day and the kid is putting a cart full of groceries in the Highlander I tell him to give me the beer for the front seat. “Might have to have a road pop on the way home”.
They look at me like “Man I thought I did crazy stuff”
I really like young people and never miss a chance to talk to them. Makes me feel young.
Iowa Dave
Love that road pop comment. I'm definitely keeping that in my back pocket for future use.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:17 PM   #57

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
We were in a sporting goods store and noticed a tray with cookies that was labeled "For Seniors". We each took a cookie and in a few minutes, realized that, since it was June, the sign meant High School seniors.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:45 PM   #58

Trailer: Combi-Camp, Trillium, Casita, E21 next
Quite a while ago, while still working, dropped by McDonald's to grab a coffee on the way to work. At the end of the day I came home and told my wife there is a special on coffee at McD's. She laughed - they charged you the senior rate. Duh.....
Fred K is offline   Reply With Quote