Where were you 56 years ago....... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2022, 11:01 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Where were you 56 years ago.......

I remember this blizzard hitting Baltimore and bringing things to a standstill. We lost our power and had to keep the cold things outside in the snow. Natural gas logs in a fireplace was our source of heat for close to a week. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...izzard_of_1966
Attached Thumbnails
The-Great-North-Dakota-Blizzard.jpg  
Old 01-11-2022, 11:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
I was in South Louisiana, to be born later that year in April
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I remember this blizzard hitting Baltimore and bringing things to a standstill. We lost our power and had to keep the cold things outside in the snow. Natural gas logs in a fireplace was our source of heat for close to a week. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...izzard_of_1966
I finished student teaching, and spent 3 days driving a MG Midget between Utica, NY & Oswego, NY (about an hour & a half drive under normal conditions). The first night in a good samaritan's trailer - he sent his teenage daughter next door to her grandmothers to protect her from "a college kid". The second night in a gas station with a bunch of other stranded travelers, including a Greyhound bus load. Both times stopped by snow blowing over the front of the car.

During a break in the storm I made it to Oswego, ended up in my future wife's apartment for a week. Her & her roommate were planning to stock the apartment that week - no cooking utensils, little food, etc. A local friend stopped by on cross country skis - the tips were less than 2" from the top of the front door frame. Over 102" measured on the ground by the end of the storm.

The photo in your post is reputed to be of Oswego, however there are many images that are mislabeled.

We do get serious snow (which is why I'm spending the winter in Quartzsite) Some photos from a 2007 storm.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I was in my home town, a senior in high school, working all the hours I could in the gas station where my dad worked (gasoline 31.9 cents a gallon). When I wasn’t working I was either hunting, spear fishing, trapping or trying and usually failing to get a date with my future and now over a half a century wife Rita.

I remember a day that started out at about 35 degrees and foggy. Melting snow made everything wet. About noon a front came through and the temp dropped to about 15 by 5 pm. I came to work at about 3:30 after school and my boss, the owner, said they had been busy starting cars all day. When a nearby factory let out and people tried to start their cars, any moisture that had invaded the distributor cap was now frozen and the car would not start. He sent me to the Link Belt Speeder lot to start two cars and said,
“If they don’t start right up, don’t waste a lot of time. Either push them or pull them here and we will get them going.”
I started both cars easily by snapping the cap off and using a warm clean dry shop rag to wipe out the cap. By then about a half a dozen guys were in line for help. One after another I got them going for $2 apiece. In all I started 18 cars. I went back to the station. My Dad was there by then and the owner lit into me as soon as I walked in. “I told you not to waste time.” We have a big list of people who need help.” I did not say anything at first. I threw $36 dollars on the glass counter. Then I said “I started 18 cars, give me the list , I’ll be back.” My Dad smiled, the owner looked at the money and said “I’ll be a SOB.” I got a Snickers bar and away I went.
It saddens me a little when I think of these things. Everyone I started and everyone I worked with is gone now except my brothers. Had to jump the Nissan today, hadn’t been run for about a month. No problem.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-11-2022, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
It saddens me a little when I think of these things. Everyone I started and everyone I worked with is gone now except my brothers. Had to jump the Nissan today, hadn’t been run for about a month. No problem.
I know how you feel buddy......
Old 01-11-2022, 02:50 PM   #6

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
56 years ago

Jim, that picture reminded me of Minot, ND and the snow drifting to the top of our trailer, our first trailer and used for our two year honeymoon in Minot. We then looked for nicer weather in California and a few more trailers over the next 50 years.
AZjack and Nancy
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Wow....that brings back memories. Wolf was new to Canada in 1966. March 4th 1966 snow storm hit Winnipeg. I was stuck at my parent's bakery for several days. ( We did not meet till January 14th 1967, married in Reno Mar 1st 68)... that was Wolf's first experience with digging out - that was his 57 Chevy ....everything was pretty much closed down for several days....
Attached Thumbnails
12-22-2009_134.jpg   12-22-2009_136.jpg   12-22-2009_130.jpg  
Old 01-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #8

Hi Gabi and Wolf,
Nice pictures, stay warm, see you in Osoyoos.....on edit, Noelia sends you salutations
Old 01-11-2022, 03:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hi Gabi and Wolf,
Nice pictures, stay warm, see you in Osoyoos.....on edit, Noelia sends you salutations
Almost can't wait !!..... hugs for you both ......is that you on the the snow bank Jim?
Old 01-11-2022, 05:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I distinctly remember the mini skirt became popular that year...
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I can’t remember which side of 1966 GO GO boots and scantily clad ladies dancing in big birdcages was on. Ronson lighter fluid on twirling tassles though.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-11-2022, 06:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I can’t recall a particular storm in Jan of 66 but remember walking to high school in Toronto with lots of cold and snow quite unlike what winters are like there now.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:32 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
1966, I was about 12 or 13 years old, living in San Francisco, probably in 6 or 7 grade.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I was in Houston, TX long before my Alaska years. There was snow that year? We didn’t seem to have any.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:36 PM   #15

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Durn, a senior in high school. Boat racing, shooting, skiing, hunting and chasing girls.
Me and my 57 chevy. Working in the summers for my dad who had an construction firm.
Getting ready to head to Texas A & M.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:26 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
On the farm 3 ft of snow ( that’s a ton here in Texas ) looking at our 4 caved in chicken barns. We raised chickens for market. We were lucky in that they were empty at the time

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:37 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 E19
I was 2 at the time. In early '66 we had just moved from the California Bay area to Houston. My father had been working for Lockheed in the bay area on the Polaris missile program and was transferred to Houston to work for NASA on the Gemini and Apollo programs. He ended up working as a supervisor in the materials testing lab at the manned space center. Their lab subjected just about everything that was going into space to tests to simulate those extreme effects and then tested much of it once it returned to earth to gauge for any deterioration. He has a lot of fond memories and good stories from that period of time.

I remember only one snowfall in Houston as a kid and looking at the snowfall record it was in 1973 with 2" recorded. It was the first time I had seen snow so for a 9yr old kid it was a lot like being on the moon. It melted quickly but I do remember staying outside in it all day.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:30 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I was in Southeast Asia. Bet I ain't the only one here who was there then.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:44 AM   #19

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Growing up in south-central Minnesota prairie land in the 50's-60's blizzards were commonplace. 10-15' bamboo poles were used to find the cars underneath snow drifts ahead of tractors with buckets to remove the snow from the streets. Hector was the home of Loftness Snow Blowers and we had plenty of snow for R&D.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-12-2022, 11:08 AM   #20

Trailer: 2012 E19
No recollection, but since I was a second grader I probably was playing at home (school closed for snow).