Winter is on its way - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Winter is on its way

A skein of Canadian geese just flew heading south over the house, beautiful birds and lovely sounds, soon snow....
Old 09-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Leaves are changing color , acorns are dropping like crazy , geese are flying, so I ordered 5 cord of oak logs yesterday and hope we make the winter . All the signs point to a cold one.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #3

Steve, do you not know the old adage about wood heating you twice, once when you split and once when you burn it?? Or are your oak logs unsplit?
Old 09-03-2017, 09:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Steve, do you not know the old adage about wood heating you twice, once when you split and once when you burn it?? Or are your oak logs unsplit?
Part of my order is 102" oak logs (not cut and split) and part is cut and split ( 16" pieces )
A lot depends on what I can get and the price
I use to cut my own but at my age ,dragging logs out of the woods is not practical.
Wood prices seem to follow propane prices .
If propane goes up wood goes up.
I've seen wood ( Hardwood ) as low as $100 a cord and as high as $300 / cord
Spring is cheaper than the fall (Supply and Demand)
We loose electric power a lot in the winter and wood heat works without power so it's more reliable.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:15 AM   #5

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
wood

Down here in SW Fl. we don't need wood we need boats to get us out of our streets when it rains like this last week . although nothing compares to Texas problems with water .
usually our Summer storms we can loose electrical power so no well water but that what our Escape 21 is for . We have a 2400 watt Yamaha to power up our escape 21 it powers everything A/C , water heater and fridge on propane .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #6

I agree 100%, I miss my wood stove.I'm sure you are experienced in this but for others do not ever trust a 1/2 ton pick up delivering a cord of wood, after they dump and leave you will see it is not a cord, a cord weighs from 3-6000 lbs dependent on wood type!
Log Cord Weight Calculator
Old 09-03-2017, 09:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
A skein of Canadian geese just flew heading south over the house, beautiful birds and lovely sounds, soon snow....
Speaking of winter, how much antifreeze does it take to winterize a 19?
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #8

A gallon should do it if you got the e-z-winerizing option, don't forget the w/h bypass, the p traps in shower and sink and release the fresh water pressure button outside.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Part of my order is 102" oak logs (not cut and split) and part is cut and split ( 16" pieces )
A lot depends on what I can get and the price
I use to cut my own but at my age ,dragging logs out of the woods is not practical.
Wood prices seem to follow propane prices .
If propane goes up wood goes up.
I've seen wood ( Hardwood ) as low as $100 a cord and as high as $300 / cord
Spring is cheaper than the fall (Supply and Demand)
We loose electric power a lot in the winter and wood heat works without power so it's more reliable.
I heated my house with wood from the early 70's to 2011 when natural gas ended up less expensive (and a lot easier!) I don't have a wood lot, but went from "share cutting" on other lots to slab wood, delivered logs, and finally (gasp) paying for cut wood. Other than the free wood, slab was the least expensive at $16.00 for a full cord, while cut & split hardwood was going for $125 a face cord. Better than what my brother on Nantucket Island would have to pay if he didn't haul his own - last I checked hardwood was $500.00 per face cord!

I solved power outages with a 15K natural gas stand by generator & a whole house transfer switch. So far the longest run was for 5 days...
Old 09-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I heated my house with wood from the early 70's to 2011 when natural gas ended up less expensive (and a lot easier!) I don't have a wood lot, but went from "share cutting" on other lots to slab wood, delivered logs, and finally (gasp) paying for cut wood. Other than the free wood, slab was the least expensive at $16.00 for a full cord, while cut & split hardwood was going for $125 a face cord. Better than what my brother on Nantucket Island would have to pay if he didn't haul his own - last I checked hardwood was $500.00 per face cord!

I solved power outages with a 15K natural gas stand by generator & a whole house transfer switch. So far the longest run was for 5 days...
We don't have access to natural gas . There is a NG pipeline in the area but it is 2 to 3 miles away . Every one here uses propane or wood. Propane was $3 to $5 / gal a few winters back and many people in my area turned their heat down to the upper 50's and still had $1000 / month heating bills. The one redeeming thing was the lack of mosquitos.
My cost for a full cord of oak (4' x 4' x 8') is $150 cut , split , and delivered. I just stack it in the 1 1/2 cord wood racks I built.
There is a lot of dead fall on the ground from a tornado a few years back but anything within a half mile of a road has already been taken and the rest is too hard to get out without a D8.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We've gone to a pellet stove at our cabin and never does the furnace run when the pellet stove is in use. Nice because it is on a thermostat control and runs just like a furnace and stocking the fuel is easy, inexpensive, and readily available. Drawback is, you need a standby gen, like Jon, for power outages or the pellet stove won't operate.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Maybe it's too hot here... and take a flight to the south...
Yesterday 30C, today a little cooler, forecast for coming days 28C.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #13

Quote:
I agree 100%, I miss my wood stove.I'm sure you are experienced in this but for others do not ever trust a 1/2 ton pick up delivering a cord of wood, after they dump and leave you will see it is not a cord, a cord weighs from 3-6000 lbs dependent on wood type!
Log Cord Weight Calculator
My wood is delivered by a one ton Ram 3500 dually diesel towing a 24 ft dual axle trailer with tilt bed. He just backs up in my driveway and dumps the wood . My wood racks when full to the top hold 1 1/2 full cords . He has never given me a short load , usually he is a little over . Up here where wood is a common fuel if you short load the word gets out pretty quick and your business dries up.
We thought about switching to a pellet stove cause there is a wood pellet plant near us but as others have said without electricity a pellet stove is just a piece of furniture.
Our cabin has R35 walls and R60 ceilings so we can heat our 1800 sq ft cabin easily with our Quadra Fire wood stove , in fact we often open the windows in winter cause it's too warm in the cabin.
Anything abover 72 deg F is too tropical for our liking.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
In British Columbia, all we have is dry weather, wildfires burning everywhere, and temperatures on the coast in the upper 20'sC (i.e. low 80sF) and in the interior, well into the 30s (90F plus). The snow on the mountains is still melting for last year and is nowhere close to winter.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
I wish you could keep this and every skein!!.
The Canada Goose is not a very popular bird on play grounds, soccer fields, picnic areas, baseball parks or grassy areas near the beach. The mess these 'beautiful birds with the lovely sounds' leave behind them is uncontrollable. I think they're damn lucky they don't taste good!!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #16

Trailer: None now
Yep winter is on the way.
Just finished rototilling the garden. I have tomatoes and lots of other seeds in starter pots ready to plant in October.
And one of the trees is bearing again this year. I have 6 fruits on it this time. Last year we had 4 fruits and the total weight was 96 pounds. One weighed a couple ounces less than 40 pounds.
Here is a 3 week old baby. It might tip the scale at a pound and a half.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170901_192522.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 AM   #17

What kind of fruit is that? I do not think I have ever seen one....
Old 09-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #18

Quote:
What kind of fruit is that? I do not think I have ever seen one....
Jackfruit, they can weigh up to 80 pounds and are the largest fruit.
Taste wise somewhere between banana, pineapple, papaya.
The seeds are good too.
You can do what I am going to try with one of the unripe ones as a meat substitute. I've had jerked jackfruit before and it had a similar texture to pork and a unique flavor.
They are tropical and mature ones can survive to 28 degrees. Which does not happen here so this one is about 15 years old.
Since I kept 6 this year they probably will not weigh more than 25 pounds.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I wish you could keep this and every skein!!.
The Canada Goose is not a very popular bird on play grounds, soccer fields, picnic areas, baseball parks or grassy areas near the beach. The mess these 'beautiful birds with the lovely sounds' leave behind them is uncontrollable. I think they're damn lucky they don't taste good!!
They are a very 'productive' bird, J Mac. Our local park rangers estimate they drop approx. 1lb. a day each. That's a lot of mess!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
They are a very 'productive' bird, J Mac. Our local park rangers estimate they drop approx. 1lb. a day each. That's a lot of mess!
One day we were out in our convertible car. As we headed south towards Englewood a pelican took off and crossed our path.
Pelicans poop as they start flight.
It looked like he dumped a gallon of crap on us.