Escape 17B or 19 somewhat near Minnesota - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > Classifieds Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Looking for a 17 foot plan B
Escape 17B or 19 somewhat near Minnesota

After lurking on this forum and fiberglassrv.com I've decided that an Escape is the right trailer for my family's needs. However, obtaining one in time for the summer looks like quite the challenge!

We're in Minnesota so if I could find a trailer that didn't require me driving to B.C. that would be preferred. I've seen a number of units that fit our needs out that way so who knows, maybe a long road trip is in our future! But first I wanted to see if there are any midwest owners looking to sell. We have an 18 month old son and will hopefully have a second child one day so a unit with the gaucho bunk is preferable.

Thanks for your time!

Bobby
Old 01-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Bobby, we have a beautiful 17B that we will be selling, but not until the end of the 2016 season (fall), as we have to wait until 2017 to be able to get a new 21. That will probably be the case with lots of potential sellers. But you are surely welcome to come see ours if you haven't been able to see a 17 in person yet. I don't know if we are the closest to your area or not - but Escape Trailer can tell you.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Eric! I have an email out to Escape to see where the trailers near us are. Looks like you're only 3 hours away so that isn't too bad. My wife is really interested in an r-pod because it has a slide which will provide more room, but I'm trying to win her over on the quality and longevity an Escape will provide. Hopefully seeing one will make her a believer. I'll reach out if we're unable to find a closer trailer to preview or if by the end of the 2016 season we still haven't found a trailer to buy
Old 01-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I can always spot rPod couples cause one leans to the left and one to the right.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbymarko View Post
My wife is really interested in an r-pod because it has a slide which will provide more room, but I'm trying to win her over on the quality and longevity an Escape will provide.
Join a forum for the R-Pod owners. I was very interested in one while on a month-long motorhome rental trip last April. A friend and I even looked multiple times at the dealer's inventory in Coos Bay, OR when I was there. Each time they had fewer and fewer on the lot. We talked to a couple of owners at the campsite I was at.

However, when I got home, I joined a forum and there were lots of folks bitching about this and that about their R-Pods. Steps that didn't work, leaks, staples sticking out and I forget what else. Too many complaints for me to want one, that's for sure.

That's when I started researching the fiberglass trailers and now we have one on order. So, stick to your guns, let her read the complaints and decide if it's worth spending that much money on something that has problems, and keep looking for the trailer you want. More will probably come available once winter starts disappearing. And, yeah, you might have to take a road trip, as I imagine lots more are sold and owned in the West than the Midwest, due to where the factory is.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Resale value. There's a reason that an all molded fiberglass trailer holds its value like no other. Hard to wear one out, and relatively few maintenance issues compared to stickies.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #7

Yeah, I was worried about leaks and quality problems with the r-pods because of the way they were built. I'll have to dig into their forum a bit more and show her some of the examples of people complaining. A leaky trailer sounds like the worst thing ever, I might as well be sleeping in my tent at that point!

The resale value is another reason I've been drawn to the molded fiberglass trailers along with less maintenance. And they look so cool all marshmallowy!

Thanks everyone for backing me up!
Old 01-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
lots of folks bitching about this and that about their R-Pods. Steps that didn't work, leaks, staples sticking out and I forget what else. Too many complaints for me to want one, that's for sure.
Par for the course from my experience with conventional trailers. What do you expect for 1/2 the price.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Yeah, I was worried about leaks and quality problems with the r-pods because of the way they were built. I'll have to dig into their forum a bit more and show her some of the examples of people complaining. A leaky trailer sounds like the worst thing ever, I might as well be sleeping in my tent at that point!

The resale value is another reason I've been drawn to the molded fiberglass trailers along with less maintenance. And they look so cool all marshmallowy!

Thanks everyone for backing me up!
I'll bet the R-Pods are like most RVs and lose about 30% of their value the day you drive them off the lot. Might be worth looking at used prices of them if you can find some online compared to used prices of Escapes.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #10

Yeah, looks like they lose a ton of value. A quick search showed used r-pods for $11,000-$13,000 and new ones for $17,000-$20,000. I also found some recent forum posts of people complaining about the sides coming off after 2,000 miles and some other issues.

Escape just got back to me and told me someone has a 2011 really close to us. Hopefully we can get to see it, although I imagine it's in storage for the winter.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You can get most stickies for about 25% off MSRP, although good times are rolling in the industry so they are not as hungry for sales. If you haven't noticed, with Escapes, you pay what they ask.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Yeah, looks like they lose a ton of value. A quick search showed used r-pods for $11,000-$13,000 and new ones for $17,000-$20,000. I also found some recent forum posts of people complaining about the sides coming off after 2,000 miles and some other issues.

Escape just got back to me and told me someone has a 2011 really close to us. Hopefully we can get to see it, although I imagine it's in storage for the winter.
Good info then - lets hope that and getting her to see one will win her over for you!

Old 01-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If you haven't noticed, with Escapes, you pay what they ask.
Yep, and the same holds true for all molded fiberglass trailers that are sold direct and not through a dealer. The price is the price.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
After lurking on this forum and fiberglassrv.com I've decided that an Escape is the right trailer for my family's needs. However, obtaining one in time for the summer looks like quite the challenge!

We're in Minnesota so if I could find a trailer that didn't require me driving to B.C. that would be preferred. I've seen a number of units that fit our needs out that way so who knows, maybe a long road trip is in our future! But first I wanted to see if there are any midwest owners looking to sell. We have an 18 month old son and will hopefully have a second child one day so a unit with the gaucho bunk is preferable.

Thanks for your time!

Bobby
If you are interested in looking at a 21 (just to see the build quality, etc) we will have our 21 at the house starting late next week as we begin to prepare for the spring adventure. Feel free to send me a PM if you are interested in looking at it.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #15

Thanks everyone for your comments! We went to a few different dealers in Minnesota today to see some other trailers to get a better idea of size and to see an R-pod. As soon as we saw the R-pod we knew it was inferior. The layouts were weird and we saw one that was used for one trip and it already had a hole through the bathroom door. It really showed us that you need to see the trailers in person - researching online can only do so much. Our search is down to two different trailers now:

•19' Escape
•Lance 1575

We want something we can take on remote forest roads and will fit our 80 lbs Golden Retriever and 2 kids. We also want something that can handle colder temps in case we're in the mountains in the early spring or late fall. We're big backpackers so we want our trailer to be our basecamp, but also comfy enough to be in with all of us on a rainy day.

We saw a Lance today and the construction quality was much better than any of the other more conventional trailers we saw. It's also well insulated (but the Escape would be better with the thermal windows options). The Lance is also framed with aluminum instead of wood so it should hold up a little better than the wooden trailers. The sales guy did admit that he has had a few come in with leaking issues but that they'll take care of you (whatever that means).

I love that an Escape would have fewer maintenance issues, but the Lance has a slide out that provides enough floor space for our son to run around along with some place for our dog to lie. The Lance's also look to hold their value reasonably well. We're scheduling a visit with an owner to see an Escape and we'll be able to make our final decision after that. One thought is that we could get a Lance now until the kids grow up and then get an Escape when it's just the two of us again.

If anyone has past experience with a Lance I'd love to hear it! I found a few people online who had them in the past but had since moved on to Escapes
Old 01-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have had 2 Lance trailers, a 2010 Model 1880 which I sold within a year when I discovered roof bubbles. I then bought a 2012 Lance 1575 because it had a solid roof. There is a design flaw, my slide motor went out after 90 days and there is no way it can be be retracted manually. The $2100 repair was covered but I immediately sold it and ordered my Escape 19. The Lance slide has no manual retraction nor anyway to secure the slide other than using a 2x4 as a brace. Since I do not feel like being stuck someplace, stay away from slide models.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #17

It seems like a lot of us migrate to Escapes after bad experiences with other brands.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Wasn't a Lance, but my nephew spent two days with his family, crawling over furniture etc because he couldn't get his slides to open. Not easy getting a RV mechanic to show up on a long weekend in the middle of nowhere. Didn't ask what it cost for the service call.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #19

Eep! A stuck slide would definitely not be good!
Old 01-09-2016, 08:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Eep! A stuck slide would definitely not be good!
Unless you REALLY like the campsite you're in.