Fuel tank crossing border - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > Escape RVs Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2023, 09:29 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Fuel tank crossing border

Rules on having a fuel tank in the back of a pickup truck

We are scheduled to inspect our 5.0 at the end of this month and pick up in Somas the following day.

Have an aluminum 50 gallon fuel tank mounted with pump on top and hose in the back of the pickup truck. You have to fill the truck with the pump and hose, it is not directly connected to the fuel tank of the truck. I’ve googled rules about coming into Canada with extra fuel and there are a lot of different responses of yes / no.

Does anyone here have experience with crossing into and out of Canada with a permanently mounted fuel tank in a pickup truck?

Thanks.

Have a second question about bringing our dog with us, but will make a separate post asking about that.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:39 AM   #2
Site Team

Bringing Pet (dog) crossing border

What’s needed to bring a pet (dog) into and out of Canada.

I have copies of the documentation showing vaccinations and other shots.

We are going to Escape to inspect our 5.0 the end of the month and pick up in Sumas the following day.

Are there any other items we should have for the dog when crossing the border.

Thanks,

Sometimes goggling stuff is just more confusing and then people give their opinions, I already have my opinions I’m looking for the rules / facts.
Old 06-09-2023, 10:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
Sometimes goggling stuff is just more confusing and then people give their opinions, I already have my opinions I’m looking for the rules / facts.
So you're looking for rules and facts here?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 11:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
So you're looking for rules and facts here?
Good one Donna.

Don't know about the type of tank you have but I'd take a real wild guess and say that it's a non-issue. Asking about extra gas carrying capacity isn't high on the border folks priorities. Even if it was, it's a common feature on a lot of work trucks and shouldn't be a problem. Only place that I know is an issue is entering Mexico where your jerry cans have to empty.

Again, a dog is a non-issue. Even when our dog decides to bark her head off at the border guy they ignore her. We've crossed with dogs for the last 30 years and I can probably count on one hand how many times we've been asked if they've been vaccinated. I wouldn't cross the border without proof of vaccination though.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:34 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Good one Donna.

Don't know about the type of tank you have but I'd take a real wild guess and say that it's a non-issue. Asking about extra gas carrying capacity isn't high on the border folks priorities. Even if it was, it's a common feature on a lot of work trucks and shouldn't be a problem. Only place that I know is an issue is entering Mexico where your jerry cans have to empty.

Again, a dog is a non-issue. Even when our dog decides to bark her head off at the border guy they ignore her. We've crossed with dogs for the last 30 years and I can probably count on one hand how many times we've been asked if they've been vaccinated. I wouldn't cross the border without proof of vaccination though.

Ron
Thanks for the response.

And Donna’s response gave me a chuckle also.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Here’s Canada’s official word on pets..
https://inspection.canada.ca/importi.../1326600500578
Old 06-09-2023, 06:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We crossed with our dog once and the border guard asked if he was ok. I confirmed he was fine and asked why he asked me that. He smiled and said “I couldn’t understand why he wasn’t barking at me.
We always have the vaccination papers with us and we hand them to the guard with our passports. We know our license “numbers” so if they ask I don’t have to find the registration. I just say IADAVE on the tow rig and RITAS21 on the trailer.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-09-2023, 09:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I have seen motorhomes with up to 6 big Jerry cans of fuel strapped to the back bumper crossing at Port Huron Michigan. Americans coming up for hunting season.

If it was me I wouldn’t worry about it.
Old 06-10-2023, 07:36 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
Here’s Canada’s official word on pets..
https://inspection.canada.ca/importi.../1326600500578
The rules look reasonable and the office rules. Thanks
Old 06-21-2023, 10:58 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21NE
When we went over the border from Sumas to Chilliwack two weeks ago we had an entire pickup bed full of stuff and the border patrol didn't even look at it. They checked our passports, looked in the backseat and waved us through.
Johnspierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
There are restrictions on food, wood, soil and alcohol. But being from Texas all we are asked about is if we have any guns.
Old 06-22-2023, 12:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 escape 5
Less than 450 liters no problem

Hi, to answer your question, here in Canada it is transport Canada that is responsable for all hazardous substance. What is permited without any certifications or permits, is containers of less than 450 liters in a certified tank, with the warning symbols on it, visible from outside, properly ancored to the vehicule. In fact you're allowed to carry up to 2000 liters in a open bed pickup as long as the they are in seperate containers of less than 450 liters.

I refer you also to the ministry of transport of the province you will enter because they might have other regulations, but basically, Transport Canada is the line to follow.

Regards,

Martin
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 01:46 PM   #13
Site Team

Border patrol may have looked at the fuel tank but barely.
And he looked at the dog to see that he was the type that the rabies certificate described.