Inventory Units - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > Escape RVs Wanted
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2021, 05:09 PM   #1

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Inventory Units

Am I understanding this correctly?

Escape Trailer is planning on building 60 Inventory Units between March and July 2021 while their earliest definitive date to receive a new unit is August 2023.

Sounds like a major change in how this once customer focused company is now going to market. You're either forced to buy the heavily optioned "production" units now at a higher price point or simply hand over your hard earned cash ($2,000 USD) "interest free" as ransom for a 2 1/2 years to buy one that fits your needs and if you back out after 2 1/2 years because they increased their prices to extreme levels they will then scam you out of another $150 USD to get your money back.

For example: the 21NE we would prefer is $31,400 USD in 2021. We don't need to spend another 10 Grand on foam bottoms, off grid NASA engineered solar, high tech lithium batteries, new age refrigeration technology etc. We just want a unit with air conditioning, a stove, a regular old refrigerator and a window in the bathroom.

We're really are not asking for much. Honestly, their 2 1/2 year production delays are not "delays" they are simply driving up their price of their units while telling you it's because of production delays.

Is that about right?
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #2

Trailer: None...yet
I think they are figuring out the custom processes are not helping with their lead times, these cookie cutter "extras" allow them to get some out quickly with any extra items they might have and they know they will sell...so why wouldn't they? They claim once their process improvements are in place (July-ish), these "extra" units will actually be customer units. I think you are seeing the future in action. They will realize they can go ahead and make a few with some high margin options, toss them online and people will trip over eachother to grab one. I don't see any being left unsold for another week, are they?
(None) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Has anybody waited 2 1/2 years, that's news to me.

Escape has a business to run and is finding a way to make their business work as well as possible, yet be able to make custom units for those wanting them. Not ideal for every customer, but most who end up with one are happy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Maybe look for a used trailer? Seems like you are sour on ETI ordering process, so why not just bypass it?
Old 05-11-2021, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Maybe look for a used trailer? Seems like you are sour on ETI ordering process, so why not just bypass it?
The 2 1/2 Year figure comes directly from Escape Trailer's website and Samuel from Escape.

I just find it odd that nobody seems to care that Escape has changed their business model from a unique builder who services their niche customer base and has moved to a production line manufacturer. That's a huge change that goes directly against what made them who they are today. (A unique personalized builder)

I'm sure Escape likes all American money. Even the ones that comment about their process.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I just find it odd that nobody seems to care that Escape has changed their business model from a unique builder who services their niche customer base and has moved to a production line manufacturer. That's a huge change that goes directly against what made them who they are today. (A unique personalized builder).
Trust me, plenty of us care. But since Reace and Tammy sold the business, it is what it is. Us caring, or not caring, has nothing to do with it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by (None) View Post
I think they are figuring out the custom processes are not helping with their lead times, these cookie cutter "extras" allow them to get some out quickly with any extra items they might have and they know they will sell...so why wouldn't they? They claim once their process improvements are in place (July-ish), these "extra" units will actually be customer units. I think you are seeing the future in action. They will realize they can go ahead and make a few with some high margin options, toss them online and people will trip over eachother to grab one. I don't see any being left unsold for another week, are they?
Nope, they are all sold.

We'll see where this new process goes. I'm just hoping that they don't forget what made them who they are.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Nope, they are all sold.

We'll see where this new process goes. I'm just hoping that they don't forget what made them who they are.

The company that owns them now is a hedge fund. I don't think hedge funds are sentimental.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Has anybody waited 2 1/2 years, that's news to me.

Escape has a business to run and is finding a way to make their business work as well as possible, yet be able to make custom units for those wanting them. Not ideal for every customer, but most who end up with one are happy.
Taken directly from an email sent to me moments ago by Escape.

"In terms of time: We will update the lead time here as we see bookings fill up our calendar. Currently we are September 2023 "
Old 05-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 E19, 2014 F150 S-cab 5.0L
Quote:

Escape Trailer is planning on building 60 Inventory Units between March and July 2021 while their earliest definitive date to receive a new unit is August 2023.

Sounds like a major change in how this once customer focused company is now going to market. You're either forced to buy the heavily optioned "production" units now at a higher price point or simply hand over your hard earned cash ($2,000 USD) "interest free" as ransom for a 2 1/2 years to buy one that fits your needs and if you back out after 2 1/2 years because they increased their prices to extreme levels they will then scam you out of another $150 USD to get your money back.

For example: the 21NE we would prefer is $31,400 USD in 2021. We don't need to spend another 10 Grand on foam bottoms, off grid NASA engineered solar, high tech lithium batteries, new age refrigeration technology etc. We just want a unit with air conditioning, a stove, a regular old refrigerator and a window in the bathroom.

We're really are not asking for much. Honestly, their 2 1/2 year production delays are not "delays" they are simply driving up their price of their units while telling you it's because of production delays.

Is that about right?

Yeah those 60 extra units by July aren't looking too good right now unless the offerings ramp up significantly in the next few weeks anyway.

I think you're far from the only person put off by the "Winners Raffle" that Escape has going for these rolling option showcase units. There was another thread here on that same subject. I watch the Escape drawings and its like their holding a giveaway. In fact I say this because my daughter walked up when I was watching last nights drawing and after about two minutes watching she said, why don't you guys sign up for the free trailer's, maybe you can win one too! I just had to laugh that she thought that's what was going on because that's exactly what it looks like to somebody that would walk up in the middle of it.

The sad thing is that all of these excess inventory units should be offered to people that have been waiting in line for months and months. Not to people that just placed a deposit in the last 24hrs. Some of the people in line are loyal repeat customers, why would you let someone line jump in front of a repeat customer? Are profits really the only goal? Escape should go down the list starting just after those customers that have signed and locked contracts. If Escape has a 19 inventory unit to sell then start calling folks with 19 deposits to let them know the options the trailer has and when it'll be ready. I'd be surprised if they had to call more than 10 people on the list before they found a buyer for that trailer. Let customers know, available trailers will be sent in an email on Friday and all calls come on Monday afternoon, you only get one call, you don't answer then you keep waiting and maybe next week you'll get a call again. They could easily give people the option to be on the call list or opt-out and just stay in line and wait so neither party's time is wasted. In fact this process would be easier than the video production they currently employ.

But doing things this way would move people much much more quickly forward in time. Lots more of the 2022 waiting list people would take delivery in 2021. Which does make you wonder if keeping people locked into 2022 or later for guaranteed price increases is the end goal.

I don't want it to sound like I have a problem with any company for making money on their product much less a high demand product. But at least try to make it look like you're taking care of those customers that have been waiting for your product for the longest period of time and trying to get them out the door in the quickest fashion possible. You can still option the trailers up for max profit, just offer them to the people that have been waiting.

I personally think Escape is going to find it very hard to keep people on a waiting list that is 14 - 26 mos long (the wait I was given). I wouldn't be surprised to find that customer retention on a production waiting list that far out is < 50% especially for an item this expensive. There's a lot that can happen in a year or more of time that will cause people to drop out, not to mention just changing their mind. The big question is what happens when one of those people drops off the list in front of you? Does the list get shorter and move you forward or does that trailer build slot become another high optioned inventory unit that 28 new customers bid on right in front of you. I've been wondering about that lately because I've seen other people post on here that they've bought a used trailer and cancelled their delivery which was a few months in front of mine.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post

I've been talking with the wife about the used trailer and its looking more and more like that may happen. Its possible we will wait for the best case 2022 date we were given, but we definitely will not wait until the 2023 guaranteed date we were given.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Interesting comments. Marketing certainly can be interesting. It seems the um..." lottery creates some " hype". We have wondered why this is being done now when demand is so high. Why not just stick to filling the orders and save the " hype" for when demand is less. We really wouldn't like to partake in a lottery to try and get an earlier completion date, just doesn't feel nice to us. But we also don't count because have our wee gem,
Old 05-11-2021, 08:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 E19
I like the option of an inventory unit and my hats off to Escape for the option.

Granted, maybe the "first in line for deposit" approach would have been more "fair", but........?

60 inventory units to test the ramp up from 2, to 3 or 4 units a production day would eat up what, 30 production days tops? As in reducing the deposit production wait time. I think the benefit of potential added production is worth it.

GPD versus ECD - mine are a about a year different. ECD is dependent on the ramp up........

The chance to get a "close enough" trailer NOW, could be beneficial in many respects.........pricing and immediate usage come to mind. And, everybody in line will move up a bit (my understanding)

Production flow is an art..............custom slows it down.

If Ford has a drawing for an available 2021 F-150/250 at a fixed price - I'm in! Call me!

Tried to buy a truck / SUV / lumber / building materials / manufacturing materials lately?

YIKES!
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Trust me, plenty of us care. But since Reace and Tammy sold the business, it is what it is. Us caring, or not caring, has nothing to do with it.
Concise and spot-on, thank you.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:10 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Well if you don’t want to wait, your options are to spend a lot more money, I.e. airstream, Oliver (9 month ) wait, Bigfoot, low amount of products available, etc. Casitas and Scamps are probably available. Or stickies. Some decent things out there. There is an opportunity for someone to come into the market and supply the demand. Escape was talking about a US manufacturing facility?
Scamp and Casita are stuck in this is how we always did it. They have an opportunity here to rethink, though I suspect they’re selling all they can make.

I foresee Escapes price rising significantly over the next few years. Pity Airstream tried to gouge pricing with the Nest, they could have developed competing models with their design skills and expanded their market share in the mid tier buyer. If I was 30 years younger I’d try to establish a competitive alternative. It’s not Rocket Surgery to build a decent trailer, plenty of design talent around.

When we bought in 2017 there was about a year wait.
By the way , an Oliver about the 21 size starts at 65000, an airstream probably 75, 000, Bigfoot’s about 50, 000 ?
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:22 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Casitas and Scamps are probably available. Or stickies. Some decent things out there. There is an opportunity for someone to come into the market and supply the demand. Escape was talking about a US manufacturing facility?
Scamp and Casita are stuck in this is how we always did it. They have an opportunity here to rethink, though I suspect they’re selling all they can make.
Scamp and Casita are nearly out as far as Escape. IF you want a Scamp Deluxe... add an additional 18 months. And have you been following the used market? It's nutz.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Well, Bezos apparently is having a 417' yacht built ( size of an ocean liner ). It will have a 100' "tender" with a helipad.

So, keep buying stuff from Amazon.
He needs money for fuel.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Well if you don’t want to wait, your options are to spend a lot more money, I.e. airstream, Oliver (9 month ) wait, Bigfoot, low amount of products available, etc. Casitas and Scamps are probably available. Or stickies. Some decent things out there. There is an opportunity for someone to come into the market and supply the demand. Escape was talking about a US manufacturing facility?

I foresee Escapes price rising significantly over the next few years. Pity Airstream tried to gouge pricing with the Nest, they could have developed competing models with their design skills and expanded their market share in the mid tier buyer. If I was 30 years younger I’d try to establish a competitive alternative. It’s not Rocket Surgery to build a decent trailer, plenty of design talent around.

When we bought in 2017 there was about a year wait.
By the way , an Oliver about the 21 size starts at 65000, an airstream probably 75, 000, Bigfoot’s about 50, 000 ?

Casita is right down the road from me here in Dallas. If they had a larger offering I'd probably be all over that. I know they've been stuck with an old business model like Scamp for years but all it takes is a fresh owner/partner to change all of that. I'd be surprised if a hedge fund didn't snap them up and decide to expand. If I were running Casita and hearing about Escape possibly expanding with a fiberglass RV production line in Texas I'd have to be asking myself what market I'm overlooking.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:

Is that about right?
No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. Covid has thrown a wrench into lots of business's inventory. Escape has always had a wait list but Covid has made it much longer with people who normally wouldn't have bought a trailer deciding to buy one now. You really think delays are not delays and they are holding back selling so they can increase the price? You cant keep everyone happy, look around at this site and you will soon see that.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:12 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. Covid has thrown a wrench into lots of business's inventory. Escape has always had a wait list but Covid has made it much longer with people who normally wouldn't have bought a trailer deciding to buy one now. You really think delays are not delays and they are holding back selling so they can increase the price? You cant keep everyone happy, look around at this site and you will soon see that.
I expect it’s less COVID than an exploding demand for a fairly priced decent quality product. I like ours, I’d probably buy another one . The 23 has me salivating, but I might be too old by the time I can buy one, sarcasm noted. I am in the lottery though.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote