New option for US pick up - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > Escape RVs Wanted
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2023, 07:41 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
New option for US pick up

Got an email yesterday; No discount or price difference just convenience

Hi there,

We are excited to offer a new pick-up process for our US customers. Instead of having to pick up in Sumas, WA, you can now pick up directly from our facility in Chilliwack, BC. You would be able to view your trailer and pick it up at the same time, eliminating the need for a separate viewing and delivery appointment. This would also eliminate the need for extra accommodations, saving you money. Escape would provide you with all the required documentation needed to export the trailer yourself. You would not have to pay any of our provincial taxes ( you would still need to pay your state taxes )

If this is something that interests you, or you have any other questions please let me know!

Alicia Gregorowich
Escape Trailer Industries
43851 Industrial Way
Chilliwack BC , V2R 4L2
alicia@escapetrailer.com
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:54 AM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Last January we took our used Bigfoot we purchased on Vancouver Island across the border. It took about 15 minutes from the time we parked at the US border, enter the building, have the papers stamped/approved to finish crossing. As long as you have the ETI signed Bill of Sale, form 7501 (Entry Summary), and form HS-7 (Declaration) you're golden.

Those above forms were in the ACE Manafest we received from ETI when we purchased our 5.0 in October, 2018.

Before we even left to pick up the camper last January, I went to Minnesota's Department of Motor Vehicles and had them print out the necessary documents needed from their instructions and presented those documents at the April registration. Due Diligence!

Trailer registration in Minnesota last April with those forms was Eazy Peazy. It took about 15 minutes to walk out with plates.

Enjoy,

Perryk
Old 06-10-2023, 09:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
I hope we get this offer.
How far out is your pick up date?
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 09:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
off-topic about MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Last January we took our used Bigfoot we purchased on Vancouver Island across the border. It took about 15 minutes from the time we parked at the US border, enter the building, have the papers stamped/approved to finish crossing. As long as you have the ETI signed Bill of Sale, form 7501 (Entry Summary), and form HS-7 (Declaration) you're golden...

Perryk
Perry, I read that MN law now will pay you up to $1500 toward a new ebike. Sounds like it's a great deal for Minnesotans who like to pedal. Are you going to take advantage?
Old 06-10-2023, 09:57 AM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Perry, I read that MN law now will pay you up to $1500 toward a new ebike. Sounds like it's a great deal for Minnesotans who like to pedal. Are you going to take advantage?
Our Terns were purchased in 2021 and 2022, so no state money. Thanks for the tip though.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 06-10-2023, 10:01 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
I hope we get this offer.
How far out is your pick up date?

The end of June, getting very close. 2 1/2 weeks.
We are sticking with the Sumas pick up. Due to other travel plans we already set up it is more convenient to pick up in Sumas.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 10:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
The end of June, getting very close. 2 1/2 weeks.
We are sticking with the Sumas pick up. Due to other travel plans we already set up it is more convenient to pick up in Sumas.
Are you staying overnight at Bobs burgers? It’s a nice overnight, and the dairy place across and down the street serves a good milkshake!
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 10:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Well that's certainly a great improvement for some in the pickup process.

A lot more efficient and the opportunity to inspect your trailer before it's even left ETI.

Also eliminates the little bit of apprehension some folks have about picking up in Sumas and then coming back into Canada.

I'm sure that a lot of folks will take advantage of this new option.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 01:22 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape
Hmmm...
I wonder how Escape will continue to justify charging US customers a higher price if the company no longer sells in the US or exports trailers to the US.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
So I'm extremely curious if this pick up option is for all US customers or just CA. It's been a known fact for a while now that CA is trying to force Escape to collect sales tax for all CA sales. If the pick up point is now in Canada versus Sumas does this somehow take the winds out of California's demand. Don't know just a thought that passed by when I read this.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Hmmm...
I wonder how Escape will continue to justify charging US customers a higher price if the company no longer sells in the US or exports trailers to the US.
ETI is still exporting the trailer to the US and paying the customs brokerage etc. to clear it in.

Ron
Old 06-10-2023, 06:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
ETI is still exporting the trailer to the US and paying the customs brokerage etc. to clear it in.

Ron
When I picked up my 19 and then my 21 I paid a 250 dollar customs clearing fee to Escape. This fee was them to do the clearing paperwork and the physical clearing at the border. There are no other out of pocket fees that Escape pays to bring the trailer to Sumas. With this new delivery process it sounds like they still complete the paperwork but the new owner now needs to physically clear the trailer through customs at the border. It's a win/win for Escape as now they no longer have to pay a delivery driver to take the trailer through customs and to the drop off at Bob's.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:

Ron
The message from ETI quoted in Post #1 says ETI will provide necessary documentation “so that you can export the trailer yourself.”

It is my understanding that previously ETI exported the trailer and the final paperwork for change of ownership took place in Sumas. Now the change of ownership (sale) takes place in Chilliwack and the buyer exports the trailer if they choose to.
Old 06-11-2023, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post

Now the change of ownership (sale) takes place in Chilliwack and the buyer exports the trailer if they choose to.
I'm not seeing how this is possible. I could see that happening if the US buyer shows up with a license plate and insurance as some folks in some states have been able to do.

But for those without plates or insurance even the drive to the border would be problematic. The fine for no vehicle insurance is $598. Any police officer that sees a trailer without a plate is going to pull it over. No insurance is no insurance no matter what the reason. If that happens then the trailer will be towed to an impound yard until the owner can show proof of insurance.

It might be possible to get to get temporary insurance but since the trailer wouldn't be registered that might not work.

Not sure how this option will unfold.

Ron
Old 06-11-2023, 11:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:

Ron
Sounds like they are only preparing the paperwork and saving money by not hiring a driver to actually do the importing. Before the VIN snafu there was no customs brokerage; then Reace & Tammy had no choice but to use a third-party broker to facilitate the Border crossing into the U.S.

In any event it is pretty interesting that all of a sudden this option is being offered. What changed?

Regarding insurance- with AAA my new purchase is automatically covered for 30 days. Not all insurance carriers do this, however AAA does.
Old 06-11-2023, 12:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Regarding insurance- with AAA my new purchase is automatically covered for 30 days. Not all insurance carriers do this, however AAA does.
That's convenient in one aspect. But, in BC, the license plate is renewed yearly along with the required insurance. So a trailer without a displayed permit or license plate would likely still be pulled over. Whether the police officer would waive the lack of a license or permit and accept that the trailer was insured would be the question.

Given my previous experience I wouldn't use a vehicle in BC without a permit or license and insurance. The fine is roughly equivalent to the cost of two years insurance.

Ron
Old 06-11-2023, 12:29 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm not seeing how this is possible. I could see that happening if the US buyer shows up with a license plate and insurance as some folks in some states have been able to do.

But for those without plates or insurance even the drive to the border would be problematic. The fine for no vehicle insurance is $598. Any police officer that sees a trailer without a plate is going to pull it over. No insurance is no insurance no matter what the reason. If that happens then the trailer will be towed to an impound yard until the owner can show proof of insurance.

It might be possible to get to get temporary insurance but since the trailer wouldn't be registered that might not work.

Not sure how this option will unfold.

Ron
Temporary insurance and registration are available through the BC provincial agency. I purchased it for one day when I bought my trailer used in BC. All that I needed was a bill of sale. That got me to the border to import the trailer to the US. After that I was on my home state requirements. The insurance was a duplicate of my own policy, but I needed the temporary registration.

The message from ETI to the original post is that the company will not be involved in collecting any taxes or fees... once you are out the door it is up to the buyer to do all that and export the trailer themselves.

What strikes me as a scam is that an American buyer travels to Canada to purchase the trailer, no export is involved at that point and ETI will not be doing the export in any case. But that buyer is not allowed to obtain Canadian $ on the open market to pay for the trailer. They have to pay in US $ at the exchange rate dictated by ETI. Adding $3,000 or so to the price of the trailer. And with the new pick up policy they can't claim the additional charge has anything to do with exporting and selling in the US.

It would be as if a Canadian traveled to the US and purchased something using $US. But when the store saw the buyer was Canadian they said, "You can't use those $US here. You can only use $US you get through us, at the rate we charge."

ETI found a way to tack on a high exchange rate fee when selling in the US. Probably most buyers were not aware of the cost of this exchange rate compared to other exchange markets. They most likely figured they were getting a fair or competitive rate from ETI.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:33 PM   #18

Quote:
That's convenient in one aspect. But, in BC, the license plate is renewed yearly along with the required insurance. So a trailer without a displayed permit or license plate would likely still be pulled over. Whether the police officer would waive the lack of a license or permit and accept that the trailer was insured would be the question.

Given my previous experience I wouldn't use a vehicle in BC without a permit or license and insurance. The fine is roughly equivalent to the cost of two years insurance.

Ron
One thing to remember: liability insurance while towing a trailer flows from the tow vehicle- at least in the U.S.

Regarding registration- this has been discussed as nauseam for the last ten years at least. No one has ever reported a problem, yet some people still worry about it.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:30 PM   #19

Not in BC. The trailer is a separate vehicle.

We used to have a decal on the license plate that showed the current date. That's been done away with because the police cars now have license plate scanners that show if the trailer has current insurance.

The absence of any trailer license would automatically trigger being pulled over. The only way that I can see that a person could pick up at ETI and drive to the border without incident is the two ways mentioned previously, either a temporary BC permit or having the plate from your home state on the trailer.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0018_resize.jpg  
Old 06-11-2023, 05:19 PM   #20

No, travel trailer insurance is not required by law in Canada. Since a travel trailer is non-motorized, it does not have the same insurance needs. Therefore, you are legally allowed to use your travel trailer without an insurance policy, so long as it is being towed by an insured and registered vehicle.Jun 26, 2022

https://www.brokerlink.ca/blog/do-i-...ered%20vehicle.