Boomers Got the Vax - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 10:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Wife and I got our flu shots today.
Don't forget your flu shots.
My wife and I have been Boosted and Flu-ed and we still crave ice cream and bacon. I'm telling you folks, those shots just don't work.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Let’s not forget the shingles shots, not fun going thru that. Watch a good friend go thru that he was kicking himself for procrastinating n not getting them.

David
Old 11-03-2021, 09:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Boosters Sept 28th, flue on Oct 7th.
I saw an interview on TV where they asked a 7 year old girl why she intended to get the shot as soon as they were available. She said "because it is the brave thing to do". Mouths of babes.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Please be careful in this thread. When we express a moral judgment about a person or group of persons based on whether or not they've gotten vaccinated, a political argument or worse is soon to follow. Just asking everyone here to tread lightly so the thread can remain open. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Please be careful in this thread. When we express a moral judgment about a person or group of persons based on whether or not they've gotten vaccinated, a political argument or worse is soon to follow. Just asking everyone here to tread lightly so the thread can remain open. Thanks.
What's worse than a political argument?
Old 11-03-2021, 01:38 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Thank You, no moral or political judgment intended.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
just talking about health - not political - who knows why it became political. I just got my booster and flu shot not just for me but for my patients, friends, and family.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Nothing to do with how we vote, I'm glad my 95 years-young Mom got her booster yesterday and I have a Saturday appointment for mine (we are the only two in the family that are eligible under current age/risk factor guidelines).

So far our (fully vaccinated) family has avoided any infection even though the niece and nephew have both been notified of 'potential exposure' in school classrooms, gymnastics classes, and 'crew' (rowing) on multiple occasions with resultant isolation and multiple follow-up tests in that unit of the family when those occurred.

Whether our good fortune (knocking on wood) is due to luck or our habits of rigorous personal adherence to CDC guidance (vaccination, masking, distancing, etc) we don't know of course (perhaps a combination of both?), but we'll continue those practices and press-on through the fog, doing our best to balance risks of life with enjoyment of life's pursuits.

Wishing the best for everyone whatever your choices and practices may be, but please consider 'strangers' you inevitably encounter, your acquaintances and loved ones, and remember that we are all in this together!
Really well said, Alan! Stay healthy!

I have my booster appointment tomorrow. My wife already got hers last week.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #29

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
What's worse than a political argument?
An 'oil thread' on any forum
Old 11-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Let’s not forget the shingles shots, not fun going thru that. Watch a good friend go thru that he was kicking himself for procrastinating n not getting them.

David
Some time ago, a sailing buddy, while out yachting, told me his wife got the shingles...........in her EYES! Some serious vision loss, as that virus follows neural pathways. Right away, I got my shingles vaccination. At that time, it wasn't covered by insurance and only 50% effective, but jez, that's better than nothing. A $350 bite in the wallet, but I was glad to pony up.

Disease microbes ain't to be messed with. We live every day amongst the cloud of microbes, everywhere, but the bad hombres among them are best to be taken seriously.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:38 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We got our boosters, flu shots, 6 month supply of cough syrup
and cough drops. We had our shingles shots last winter and spring. Bought a new box of band aids. Should be set for the winter. I have much respect for the medical profession as a whole, they’ve been good to me over the years.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-03-2021, 09:24 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Ranger Man;
To respond to your timeless queries, grasshopper........

"What's worse than a political argument?"
#1. A religious discussion turned sour into an argument.
#2. A favorite sports team comparison vs another team.
#3. A family meet up (Thanksgiving?) with opinionated relatives, or brothers-in-laws.
Danger Will Robinson, DANGER.

Nothing. Same old, same old darkness. Oh, maybe some glimmer, a halo of errant photons, but not much. Theoretical particles, tachyons, may exceed the speed of light, somehow, but right now, that is the SPEED LIMIT of all things.
Your speed may vary...YSMV. Have I coined this one?
Old 11-04-2021, 08:42 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Got my second shingles shot yesterday. Nurse then assured me it was now safe for me to get back to working on the roof. (Left arm, then the flu shot in the other arm. If the flue fits, wear it.)
Old 11-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
If the flue fits, wear it.)
Over my lifetime I have received shots for: polio, diphtheria, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, pneumonia, hepatitis, shingles, covid, flu, and perhaps others. Yet I have no immunity what-so-ever against beer, donuts, ice cream, etc.

You are also more susceptible to these scourges as evident by bad puns.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Over my lifetime I have received shots for: polio, diphtheria, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, pneumonia, hepatitis, shingles, covid, flu, and perhaps others. Yet I have no immunity what-so-ever against beer, donuts, ice cream, etc.

You are also more susceptible to these scourges as evident by bad puns.
I would love to have an immunity to ice cream and wine. So far no luck. When I processed into the army I lined up with others and got a series of shots. I have no idea what vaccines were given to me. I am old enough to remember when the Polio vaccine became available. The whole neighborhood went down to my elementary school and got the vaccine. We were so relieved. My older brother had a mild case of Polio in the early 50s. Thankfully it resulted in nothing more than a slight limp when he walks.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #36

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

David
I tried for the shingles shot today as well as the pertussis/tetanus shot. I was shocked at the co-pay, especially the shingles, so I only got the pertussis/tetanus. Checking out ways to save money on the shingles.

Flu and pneumonia on Sept. 1.

Booster 2 weeks ago, the day they were approved. I was surprised to be able to get an appointment, although we had to drive a bit for it. Someone within the boomer generation was at Walgreens today trying for a booster, and they only had shots for the newly approved age 5-11.

CindyL
Old 11-04-2021, 01:19 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just uploaded my CDC vac record card to my insurance and they are sending me $50, that will buy me some beer........
Old 11-04-2021, 01:39 PM   #38

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Just read some of this thread regarding vaccines.... Wolf had a stem cell transplant in 20007 and had to have all the vaccines that are done from infancy again.... when we asked about the shingles vaccine ( which we see commonly in commercials) we were told they do not recommend vaccination for shingles.... The Docs are all Hematologists/Oncologist/Endometriologists... so no shingles vax for us.....
Old 11-04-2021, 01:43 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Just read some of this thread regarding vaccines.... Wolf had a stem cell transplant in 20007 and had to have all the vaccines that are done from infancy again.... when we asked about the shingles vaccine ( which we see commonly in commercials) we were told they do not recommend vaccination for shingles.... The Docs are all Hematologists/Oncologist/Endometriologists... so no shingles vax for us.....
I won't argue with your doctors, but did you ask WHY they don't recommend the shingles vax? Have any of those doctors had the shingles?

My elderly Mom had the shingles on the entire left side of her face. Imagine a line from head to chin right down the middle of her nose. The shingles side was swollen, hot and scabby. I had never seen my Mother cry until then and she said she had never been in such pain. What worried her was losing her eyesight and nerve damage. Five years after she had the shingles she DID lose sight in her left eye. Cause and effect?
Old 11-04-2021, 03:19 PM   #40

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I won't argue with your doctors, but did you ask WHY they don't recommend the shingles vax? Have any of those doctors had the shingles?

My elderly Mom had the shingles on the entire left side of her face. Imagine a line from head to chin right down the middle of her nose. The shingles side was swollen, hot and scabby. I had never seen my Mother cry until then and she said she had never been in such pain. What worried her was losing her eyesight and nerve damage. Five years after she had the shingles she DID lose sight in her left eye. Cause and effect?
Oh Donna, that is really awful. When I was young ( about a hundred years ago) there was a friend of my parents who had a terrible episode of shingles ( not as bad as what your dear Mum will have suffered), that is what had me ask the Docs when Shingles was not on the list of vaccines Wolf was to have . The reasons given were - the vax is 50% effective at best, efficacy does not last, and the side affects can be severe - especially in immune suppressed people. I have not asked in recent times if there has been a change of thought as they do make a point of telling us anything required regarding vaccines. I am very sorry that was so awful for your Mum... and for you.