Border opening, maybe - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 12:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
US border and polio

It will be a economic boom to many of the border towns in both directions. In the area around the five freeway Washington state. About 70+ percent of the business is generated from Canadians. Anyone doubt this just go to the Cosco in Bellingham and take a look at the license plates when the border opens. Into Canada is the Americans vacationing. Both sides benefit. As for polio polio has been pretty much eradicated and almost all first world countries. It still exists in those areas that we classify as Third World. When it does show up in Western Europe North America is being brought in by someone from a less developed area. They have never been vaccinated. I remember standing in line with my mother and my brother about 1956 getting our first shots. In our best go to church clothing, my mother and her dress and makeup. I have often said that if a anti-vaccine had shown up at that point, they would have had about 350 holes in them from the mother's with their heels on stomping them slowly to death. I can remember at the age of seven being told I couldn't go outside in the summer because we had polio in the city.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Polio and smallpox were not eliminated by natural herd immunity but by a vaccine.
The more people that get vaccinated the sooner the border will open.
Hi Ed, I misread this, when I read your post I didn't distinguish the qualifier (natural) in your post (not eliminated by natural herd immunity). In doing so I thought you were inferring that herd immunity was only accomplished by a vaccine. I agree with your post.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
It will be a economic boom to many of the border towns in both directions. In the area around the five freeway Washington state. About 70+ percent of the business is generated from Canadians. Anyone doubt this just go to the Cosco in Bellingham and take a look at the license plates when the border opens. Into Canada is the Americans vacationing. Both sides benefit. As for polio polio has been pretty much eradicated and almost all first world countries. It still exists in those areas that we classify as Third World. When it does show up in Western Europe North America is being brought in by someone from a less developed area. They have never been vaccinated. I remember standing in line with my mother and my brother about 1956 getting our first shots. In our best go to church clothing, my mother and her dress and makeup. I have often said that if a anti-vaccine had shown up at that point, they would have had about 350 holes in them from the mother's with their heels on stomping them slowly to death. I can remember at the age of seven being told I couldn't go outside in the summer because we had polio in the city.

Science also thought Thalidomide was a great idea, then came thousands of flipper children.
Many vaccines have had many great benefits there’s no doubt about that, but it seems almost forbidden to have any analytical study’s published on this one vaccine.
Many side affects from the covid vaccine seem to be getting pulled off the information sites.
It would be more than a shame if the millions that are now experts on vaccines and suddenly have total trust in big pharma were wrong, or we are afraid due to societal pressures to at least question.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Science also thought Thalidomide was a great idea, then came thousands of flipper children.
Many vaccines have had many great benefits there’s no doubt about that, but it seems almost forbidden to have any analytical study’s published on this one vaccine.
Many side affects from the covid vaccine seem to be getting pulled off the information sites.
It would be more than a shame if the millions that are now experts on vaccines and suddenly have total trust in big pharma were wrong, or we are afraid due to societal pressures to at least question.
They'd have to be awfully wrong in order for the side effects to be worse than the effects of the disease. Thalidomide is not a vaccine.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:05 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
I don't think the vaccine was available in England in the early 50's or I'm sure my parents would have had me vaccinated so my welcome to Canada would not have been polio. Fortunately I had a minor case.

You're right about the border towns regaining the business, especially from Canadians slipping over. Here at the second busiest crossing in Western Canada people flock from Winnipeg to Grand Forks (Sam's club, Menards) or Fargo (Costco). Meanwhile one of our town's most well off citizens will again be able to have good business at his duty free shop as Canadians head south and visiting Americans head home.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #26

Although the dearth of Canadians at Trader Joes in Bellingham was a bonus when I went up to get my trailer last fall!

But Point Roberts and Bellingham are probably suffering from loss of Canadian trade. And I know I'd like to get up there camping, and we'd love to have the BC folk be able to make it down here.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #27

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
They'd have to be awfully wrong in order for the side effects to be worse than the effects of the disease. Thalidomide is not a vaccine.
Today’s ventilator is the 50’s iron lung.

State health officials in Mississippi have issued a warning about the hospitalisation rates of children with Covid-19 as the Delta variant soars.

Thomas Dobbs, the State Health Officer, said on Twitter that there are currently seven children with coronavirus in the ICU. Two of those are on ventilators.”
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post

State health officials in Mississippi have issued a warning about the hospitalisation rates of children with Covid-19 as the Delta variant soars.

Thomas Dobbs, the State Health Officer, said on Twitter that there are currently seven children with coronavirus in the ICU. Two of those are on ventilators.”
Not to be political in saying this but it must be recognised that MS has the lowest vaccination rate of any state in the union, 37% with one dose and 33% with both.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It's not the CDC that's made vaccine a political issue.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #30

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Polio

First off I had polio at the age of three. Luckily the strain going around that time did not cause severe nerve and muscle damage. I can remember my kindergarten class there was 32 of us. Four of my classmates had braces and crutches. Today we do not have smallpox it has been eradicated by vaccines. Diphtheria was a disease that was rampant in the United States my father had it, as a child. You don't hear of anyone getting that disease today because we are vaccinated. I was vaccinated in the military for plague and yellow fever and cholera. I did not get any of these because I was vaccinated. As for the the drug you mentioned, you are correct it wasn't properly researched. The European countries authorized it for pregnant women and the results were devastating. But there was a mere handful in the United States because the FDA did its job. Yet that drug today is the best possible drug to use for leprosy, and most women cannot get it because of the possibility of birth defects. If you choose not to vaccinate yourself that you're right, in my opinion it's not a good choice. But here again in this country we have the right to say no. I think this will be the last thing that I have to say on this issue.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Interesting read on why the border should remain closed.
https://www.nsnews.com/opinion/baldr...closed-3123868
Old 07-16-2021, 04:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It's not the CDC that's made vaccine a political issue.
On the plus side, there is no longer a political appointee at the CDC that can edit information before it’s released to the medical community.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #33

People may have choice, but not allowing the unvaccinated from either country across the border is a good choice too.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:44 PM   #34

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Our GCD is June 2023 so I'm hoping this Covid Pandemic will be well under control.

Maybe the next worldwide pandemic will be having too many happy people.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
New info just posted: Canada will finally open its borders, first to Americans, beginning August 9
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/world...ing/index.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
New info just posted: Canada will finally open its borders, first to Americans, beginning August 9
The details.

“To be eligible for entry, fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and permanent residents must present a negative covid-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of flight departure or arrival at a land crossing. They will also be required to upload proof that they have received a full series of an authorized coronavirus vaccine at least 14 days before departure to a Canadian government app.”
Old 07-19-2021, 02:51 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Aug. 9th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi: Donna D... Just proves what can happen when you've got your back turned. I was busy reading the inside of my eyelids!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #38

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Just a note that this is not yet a reciprocal agreement.

The US federal government has not announced plans to open land borders to Canadian citizens except for essential workers.

This is what I found which has a July 21 prohibition date that may be extended
https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-rest...ns-fact-sheet/
Old 07-19-2021, 05:49 PM   #39

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
After canceling last year, we’re now reserved for site 26 at the Niagara Wine Festival Rally from Sept. 14-20. Should be fun! Following the COVID protocols is a small price to pay for getting to travel again.
KevinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I don't know if it is true for all Walgreens, but ours here in upstate NY offers free Covid 19 tests.

They list both Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) - 24 hour results, and Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR) - Results Times Vary