Canadian border closing - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 11:15 PM   #61

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
So I don't disagree with you; we just returned early from a trip to the desert- it's just am wondering why WA isn't responding similarly to other states nearby, especially given the numbers.

Well, I’d say the current measures are pretty restrictive, coming short of the shelter in place action in Cali and elsewhere, of course. As to allowing camping, I think it’s purely from recognition that it’s an activity highly conducive to social distancing. As long as you don’t do the group campfire thing, of course. No - You just sit over there at your campfire and we’ll sit here at ours. And we’ll yell a little bit louder for conversation is all. Especially with that other fellow over yonder with his generator. Funny thing - the generator guy has a truck camper, which is not on a truck, and a boat on a trailer, which is also not connected to a truck. Somehow there has to be a truck in this equation, but it’s nowhere obvious. I should ask him if he somehow pulled the truck camper with the boat. I’ll yell at his fire pit from ours. Over his generator. Tomorrow. Nice to talk at you, Ross. Hope all’s well with you and yours. Would enjoy bumping into you again sometime after the world settles down again.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:28 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Me too Scott; would enjoy that. Hopefully we'll turn the corner on this emergency very soon.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
My theory on the camping closures (the parks themselves are open) is they don't want out-of-towners bringing the virus into small communities. It isn't so much the camping itself is dangerous, but trips to the grocery store, etc. This is compounded by the fact that small communities generally have very little health care capacity, it becomes high risk for the communities if loads of people come into town to isolate themselves in the campgrounds but then develop symptoms and need health care.

We are still planning to pick up in Sumas at noon on Monday. We have reduced our spring break vacation coming back to 1 night (Monday) in the Anacortes KOA and then the long drive back to Portland. My only concern is for bathroom stops with the kids but careful washing should eliminate any risks.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:21 PM   #64

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Am surprised that WA- with one of the largest outbreaks and fatalities has not shut down in the way others have.
Ross my grandson is not getting to walk down the aisle in June due to his schools closure in Washington . He is 18 and autistic and doesn’t understand why he can’t go to school . This was a big deal for him . Can’t even go to Washington as planned now . His sister is ready to have her first baby any minute , another great grand child I don’t get to hold or see . Besides us in California , Washington is pretty much shut down . I am worried about my daughter , granddaughter ‘s Mom ,who has to work at the Island’s ‘s Safeway and very long hours . She is a Cancer survivor . Another daughter a RN at VA hospital who tells me they are rationing masks because they are short on supplies .
I never thought we would ever see , what we are seeing happen but it is . All we can do is be kind to each other and follow the rules we are given every day until hopefully things can go to back to some normalcy. Pat
Old 03-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #65

Trailer: allanmacdonald
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Just heard on the news, 1 o’clock CST. Trudeau said Canadians should start to “come home“. It sounds like the southern Canadian border will be closing.
It is closing today. 20march2020>open to commercial traffic and special exceptions only.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #66

Trailer: allanmacdonald
U.S. Citizens.....Not.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #67

Trailer: 2020 E19
Hello fellow Escapees. We are literally sitting in the parking lot at Bob’s Burgers and Brews, in Sumas, waiting to see if our E19 will be able to cross into the US from Canada. Delivery was planned for noon, but because of an issue at the border crossing, it may not happen. We know that the first Escape of the day did make it over. Karl reached out to us and he and Dave will be making the delivery if they are allowed to cross. Regardless of the outcome, Karl went above and beyond today. Please cross your fingers for us!
Attached Images

TV Audi Q7 TDI
Old 03-20-2020, 04:24 PM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Kim & Tom- here's hoping you're hitched up later today! Send a picture if you are.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #69

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Border isn't supposed to close until midnight tonight ( Eastern - 9pm Pacific ).
Old 03-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #70
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdelaney View Post
Hello fellow Escapees. We are literally sitting in the parking lot at Bob’s Burgers and Brews, in Sumas, waiting to see if our E19 will be able to cross into the US from Canada. Delivery was planned for noon, but because of an issue at the border crossing, it may not happen. We know that the first Escape of the day did make it over. Karl reached out to us and he and Dave will be making the delivery if they are allowed to cross. Regardless of the outcome, Karl went above and beyond today. Please cross your fingers for us!
Hi Kim and Tom, If it's any consolation, we too, had to wait quite a while at Bob's Burgers last year for our trailer because the driver told us our trailer got tagged for the 'thorough' inspection at the border. All went well, just took time. Might be the same or you...Fingers crossed! -Bea
Old 03-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #71

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post
We have reduced our spring break vacation coming back to 1 night (Monday) in the Anacortes KOA and then the long drive back to Portland. My only concern is for bathroom stops with the kids but careful washing should eliminate any risks.
Lack of bathrooms on return trip is a nonissue. You’ll have your own personal bathroom right behind you! Unless you’re getting a 17A. Escape will likely fill your water tank before they deliver, if you ask. Then you’re all set.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #72

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hello Everyone,
I'm not sure quite how to get started on writing this but will do my best.
This virus is proving to be so very contagious … unlike any illness we have ever seen before. One thing that makes this virus so hard to control is that an infected person can be infected and contagious for up to 2 weeks before showing any symptoms. This pretty much assures and guarentees that the virus will be impossible to contain.

Older people like most of us may not survive. Here is the problem: as the virus takes over our bodies, it seems to concentrate in our lungs, destroying lung tissue and especially the cilia necessary to move foreign bodies and dead cells out of our lungs. Our bodies response is an inflammation response which fills the air sacs in our lungs with fluid. Making breathing very difficult. You might be able to overcome this and survive but those whose symptoms become more acute will need a ventilator to help get oxygen into their lungs / bodies. Our community of about 35,000 people only has about 15 ventilators in out hospital … we need about 10 times as many but so do most other hospitals in the entire US. Our town is planning to screen anyone coming to the hospital … if in an acute stage maybe you will be allowed in …. otherwise you will be sent home and ordered into quarantine. Good luck in getting medicines and or medical attention.

This is an increditably serious situation folks. STAY HOME! I know and understand the fact you have made an important large purchase and want your trailer and want follow through with your plans. Please stay home …. make arrangements to have your new trailer stored until all this calms down. Predictions from modeling ( ) are that this may peak in early August but no one really knows. You might want to get Canadian insurance on your stored trailer … Canadian because no US carrier will insure your trailer while stored in Canada. No problem being insured while traveling in Canada but storage is a different animal. I know as I tried.

I wouldn't count on there being a Rally this year. Too large a group. There are closures all over the US …. closures for a reason. No political official wants a closure … this isn't happening because they want to be mean. Its happening in an effort to slow down the infection rate and save lives.... maybe yours or your loved ones.

All that said …. Good Luck to you all and I hope when we meet out on the trail, we can laugh and be thankful.

Tom
Old 03-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #73

I can tell you that as of 3/20/3020, yesterday afternoon, that single driver delivery possibilities across the Canadian border are iffy. That was the issue that caused our delay yesterday. Canada has far fewer cases of coronavirus than Washington does. The delivery people risk being quarantined when returning across the border. We are driving back to Oregon this morning, but based on travel restrictions being implemented and some states in lockdown, it’s a rapidly shifting scenario. I don’t think we would have made the decision to travel today as we made just a few days ago.
TV Audi Q7 TDI
Old 03-21-2020, 05:23 PM   #74
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
I can tell you that as of 3/20/3020, yesterday afternoon, that single driver delivery possibilities across the Canadian border are iffy. That was the issue that caused our delay yesterday. Canada has far fewer cases of coronavirus than Washington does. The delivery people risk being quarantined when returning across the border. We are driving back to Oregon this morning, but based on travel restrictions being implemented and some states in lockdown, it’s a rapidly shifting scenario. I don’t think we would have made the decision to travel today as we made just a few days ago.
Hi Kim and Tom, So sounds like they were able to deliver you your trailer yesterday...hope so. Safe travels home. Be safe all...as we 'shelter in place'. -Bea
Old 03-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi Kim and Tom, So sounds like they were able to deliver you your trailer yesterday...hope so. Safe travels home. Be safe all...as we 'shelter in place'. -Bea
Hi Bea,
Thank you. We did pick up. The person who delivered the am Escape on Friday was warned by Canadian border patrol that he could risk losing his pass or face quarantine if he showed up again. Karl reshuffled the paperwork and delivered our trailer. I hope they got back across without incident. We are heading home right now. We planned the most unusual road trip and have stopped for nothing except fuel and rest stops. Other than Karl and Dave, we have spoken with only two other individuals the entire trip. I hope this finds you safe and healthy and we appreciate your note.
TV Audi Q7 TDI
Old 03-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #76

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm not sure quite how to get started on writing this but will do my best.
This virus is proving to be so very contagious … unlike any illness we have ever seen before. One thing that makes this virus so hard to control is that an infected person can be infected and contagious for up to 2 weeks before showing any symptoms. This pretty much assures and guarentees that the virus will be impossible to contain.

Older people like most of us may not survive. Here is the problem: as the virus takes over our bodies, it seems to concentrate in our lungs, destroying lung tissue and especially the cilia necessary to move foreign bodies and dead cells out of our lungs. Our bodies response is an inflammation response which fills the air sacs in our lungs with fluid. Making breathing very difficult. You might be able to overcome this and survive but those whose symptoms become more acute will need a ventilator to help get oxygen into their lungs / bodies. Our community of about 35,000 people only has about 15 ventilators in out hospital … we need about 10 times as many but so do most other hospitals in the entire US. Our town is planning to screen anyone coming to the hospital … if in an acute stage maybe you will be allowed in …. otherwise you will be sent home and ordered into quarantine. Good luck in getting medicines and or medical attention.

This is an increditably serious situation folks. STAY HOME! I know and understand the fact you have made an important large purchase and want your trailer and want follow through with your plans. Please stay home …. make arrangements to have your new trailer stored until all this calms down. Predictions from modeling ( ) are that this may peak in early August but no one really knows. You might want to get Canadian insurance on your stored trailer … Canadian because no US carrier will insure your trailer while stored in Canada. No problem being insured while traveling in Canada but storage is a different animal. I know as I tried.

I wouldn't count on there being a Rally this year. Too large a group. There are closures all over the US …. closures for a reason. No political official wants a closure … this isn't happening because they want to be mean. Its happening in an effort to slow down the infection rate and save lives.... maybe yours or your loved ones.

All that said …. Good Luck to you all and I hope when we meet out on the trail, we can laugh and be thankful.

Tom
Tom, thank you for posting this sobering account of what occurs to the body from this virus. It certainly puts things into perspective.

We came to that conclusion ourselves, and canceled our April date. There are just too many risks for everyone involved, including ETI members having to quarantine for two weeks!
Would you or anybody else happen to know of, or have used any Canadian insurance companies for the purposes of insuring our new Escape while in storage?
- Perhaps ETI may have some information about that?

I’d like to know what everybody else is doing, especially those of you with pick up dates this upcoming week. Postponing? Until we have more info, or until after it’s peaked?
Stay well and healthy everyone...
Old 03-21-2020, 06:05 PM   #77

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Would you or anybody else happen to know of, or have used any Canadian insurance companies for the purposes of insuring our new Escape while in storage?

When I first got my trailer in 2008, Escape directed me to Hub and I've been insured by them ever since. Address and phone in pic ( top right ).
Attached Thumbnails
Insurance copy.jpg  
Old 03-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #78

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Until the trailer is imported into the US and you take possession, it is not yours. Escape still is responsible for getting it across the border to you, then it become yours. Your insurance will cover you after you take possession, not before the paperwork is signed and the trailer is imported to the US and Customs signs the paperwork. Let Escape store the trailer, used to be 90 days free.
So sorry for the predicament in Alaska, Tom, I hope and pray your village does not need any more ventilators.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #79

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Hi Bea,
Thank you. We did pick up. The person who delivered the am Escape on Friday was warned by Canadian border patrol that he could risk losing his pass or face quarantine if he showed up again. Karl reshuffled the paperwork and delivered our trailer. I hope they got back across without incident. We are heading home right now. We planned the most unusual road trip and have stopped for nothing except fuel and rest stops. Other than Karl and Dave, we have spoken with only two other individuals the entire trip. I hope this finds you safe and healthy and we appreciate your note.
Congrats! Haven't checked this thread in a few days, a lot has changed! We PU our 19 late in May, so hopefully things don't get worse. Have a nice trip back!

Larry
Old 03-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #80

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Until the trailer is imported into the US and you take possession, it is not yours. Escape still is responsible for getting it across the border to you, then it become yours. Your insurance will cover you after you take possession, not before the paperwork is signed and the trailer is imported to the US and Customs signs the paperwork. Let Escape store the trailer, used to be 90 days free.
Gbaglo and CPA- Thanks for this information! Everything is so confusing now. This forum helps so much, especially from people like both of you, who’ve dealt with ETI for so many years, or are otherwise “in the know“.

Congratulations to everyone who’s been able to pick up their trailers so far.
DH and I have decided to wait a while before we venture out to pick up ours.
Of course, that all depends on this virus and all of its consequences. That goes for ETI as well, regarding the possibility of having to be quarantined after delivering a trailer over the border.

We are staying put for the time being. No traveling at all. Still trying to keep up with the daily disinfecting routine of surfaces, door knobs, clothing, and anything else that doesn’t move.

DH, a healthcare provider and administrator, is still working at his hospital. I wish he could stay at home as well. So far, we are very fortunate this virus hasn’t infected us or our family, friends, or peers at work.

However, we are aware of the predictions, and the statistics are quite frightening. Hopefully what we and everyone else are doing by staying in place will mitigate some of these dire predictions.

My heart and prayers go out to those suffering with this terrible sickness, or who had it.

I hope everyone here is staying healthy and safe. Continued best wishes for y’all!
Closed Thread