Canadian border closing - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #101

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Again, Doug2000 is a Canadian customer, not US. They may have different rules which do not apply to US customers.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #102

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Gonna try and plate it when the paperwork comes in. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Seems the only consistency is inconsistency. When we were close to the completion date our Jefferson County, Colorado DMV office said we could only get temporary plates - good for 21 (?) days at the time, and that we had to have a VIN inspection done before receiving permanent plates. Things do change, of course.

--
Alan
Old 03-23-2020, 06:23 PM   #103

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I picked up my trailer 17 May, went to Osyoos, traveled home to Calif, tried to register, got a run around, paperwork delayed, drove all the way to Bar Harbor, Maine before the plates made their way to me three months later. Not a soul ever mentioned the lack of plate except for one retired cop in a campground who inquired. And come to find out, places with automatic tolls take a picture of the rear, so my valiant efforts to call and pay tolls resulted in "we don't have any record of your car license plate. carry on!".

your actual mileage may vary.
That sounds like California! Couple of comments, just experienced the toll roads of OC a couple of weeks ago and we forgot to pay within 5 days. Received the notice of violation, and they waive the fine, just have to pay the tolls. They did take a pic of the back of the trailer as we were funneled into a special lane. Second, did you end up with a regular plate, or a permanent trailer plate? Have two friends that have new Escapes, and on has the regular plate, the other has the permanent one, and they have no idea why!
Old 03-24-2020, 07:14 AM   #104

A lot of states government offices are closed to public interactions so registering and titling a vehicle or trailer may be even more of a challenge now.....
Old 03-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #105

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Insurance while Escape is stored

To answer the insurance question, I sent ETI a letter questioning the necessity for new Escape owners to have insurance on their stored trailer. Many of us are storing our trailers in Canada until it’s safe and reasonable to pick up.

Here is the answer, a direct quote from ETI,

“...while your trailer is stored at ETI, it is covered under ETI's insurance. That being said, often owners get additional storage insurance so they have extra coverage.”

If you still have questions, contact ETI.

*But please be aware that they are operating with a skeleton staff, so replies may be delayed.

They are overwhelmed trying to juggle everything while under the border crossing restrictions and their own staff self-isolating.

As an added note, they were a bit relieved when I pushed off my pickup date to the end of May.
Apparently, to retrieve a particular stored trailer, it takes at least five days for them to move the trailers around.
So, if you think you will delay picking up your new Escape, they’ll need a couple weeks notice at least.
*Note that this is my recommendation from what I’m observing and hearing, rather than an official request from ETI.

Stay well and safe, everyone!
Old 04-16-2020, 03:03 PM   #106

Trailer: ?
From the Washington Post.

TORONTO — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday that there is still a “significant amount of time” left before restrictions on nonessential travel at the U.S.-Canada border are relaxed.
His comments come one day after President Trump said the U.S.-Canada border will be “one of the early borders” to open and commended both countries on their handling of the pandemic.
The United States and Canada agreed last month to temporarily close their 5,500-mile land border to recreational travel and tourism. The measures, which went into effect March 21, expire next week.
Chrystia Freeland, Canada’s deputy prime minister, said Canadian officials have had “productive” conversations with their American counterparts about the border this week.
“Canada believes that the right thing to do would be to extend those border restrictions,” she said. A spokesperson for Freeland would not say how much longer Canada wants the limitations to remain in place or whether it is looking for any restrictions on travel to be eased or added.
Border traffic has been significantly curtailed since the curbs were implemented — so much so that the Canada Border Services Agency said this week it would be temporarily reducing service hours at 27 land border crossings.
Any efforts to ease restrictions would irritate many in Canada. Some mayors, particularly those whose cities share a border with American states hard-hit by the pandemic, have already expressed worry that the current measures are not stringent enough and have been critical of the U.S. response to the pandemic.
“When you see in parts of the United States that they’re allowing large church services or they’re not respecting physical distancing, that concerns us,” Mike Bradley, mayor of Sarnia, Ontario, told The Washington Post.
More than 1,000 people have died in Canada from the coronavirus — far fewer than in the United States.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:38 PM   #107

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
The temporary closures will not affect those crossings open 24 hours. It's the smaller ones. Our border crossing in town is 24 hours and is busy with trucks but few other vehicles. The one next further west is open normally 8am-10pm, but will now be 9-5, just one CBSA guard's shift.

We heard Trudeau this morning and he was pretty clear that we wouldn't be moving forward too quickly. He was to meet (virtually) with the premiers today. Some want to open up sooner since some provinces are much less affected by the virus. For example ours has added only a handful of cases in the last few days. We have 246 cases and five deaths in a population of 1.3 million. Yesterday only nine in hospital, four of those in ICU. Many have recovered.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:34 PM   #108

Interestingly, Canada is about the size of the US but has the population equivalent of California, which to date has 889 deaths, compared to more than 1000 spread out over the entire country? I'd say it is close but considering the size why so close?
Old 04-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Interestingly, Canada is about the size of the US but has the population equivalent of California, which to date has 889 deaths, compared to more than 1000 spread out over the entire country? I'd say it is close but considering the size why so close?
Well Jim considering CA apparently shut things down early, their deaths are much lower than most of the country. On Worldometer they currently show 104 deaths per one million US population, in Canada only 32 per million.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #110

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
US deaths have risen to near 35,000, which is truly sad, with over 1/3 in NYC. California is currently at near 1,000 deaths which given a population slightly great than Canada, is doing much better per person as we have over 1,200.

I have looked at a lot of supposedly updated count lists and maps, and there certainly is a lot of differing results. None are good though.

I sure hope we see a decline soon. This is far from over though, unfortunately.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #111

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
US deaths have risen to near 35,000, which is truly sad, with over 1/3 in NYC. California is currently at near 1,000 deaths which given a population slightly great than Canada, is doing much better per person as we have over 1,200.

I have looked at a lot of supposedly updated count lists and maps, and there certainly is a lot of differing results. None are good though.

I sure hope we see a decline soon. This is far from over though, unfortunately.
The projections that you might be seeing regarding California say we are peaking this week, and those are from the Federal level. Here in California I'm hearing the State's projections show that we won't peak until mid-May. I don't think anyone knows for certain. I did hear that one of the campgrounds at Pinnacles National Park (closest NP to me) is open for camping, from some friends that spent last night there. They were jazzed as they picked up there new little RV a couple of weeks ago.

Larry
Old 04-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #112

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Politicians and health professionals here are careful to not predict too far into the future, and warn folks they just don't know the timing on things returning closer to normal. This is wise, as no doubt they are wishing as much as everyone that it comes sooner than later.

I don't even try to guess a the future of this pandemic, I just got for the best outcome from timing to those affected by it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #113

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
They won't know when the peak occurred until we are well past it.
Trying to predict the peak is like trying to predict the bottom of the stock market.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #114

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
What is certain is the current status quo is unsustainable to the economy. Sounds like the plan outlined today in concert with Fauci & Birx and CDC's Redfield is a thoughtful and logical approach to moving forward.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #115

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Here's an article about the exclave Point Roberts, Washington, and how it is affected by border restrictions. I haven't been there, but I'm guessing some of you have:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...erts-geography
Old 04-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #116

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Here's an article about the exclave Point Roberts, Washington, and how it is affected by border restrictions. I haven't been there, but I'm guessing some of you have:

We’ve been there a couple of times. It’s a very interesting little place. Supposedly it was highly favored by the FBI’s witness relocation program once upon a time because it’s so geographically isolated. One resident we met there described it as the largest gated community in the US. It’s a nice place. Hope everyone there pulls through. And the rest of us too, of course.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #117

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post

One of the biggest drivers of the Point Roberts economy are the US Postal mailbox businesses. Orders go out of US to Canada then back in at Pt. Roberts. Canadians drive over the border to pick up orders as though they have a PO box. This can save on brokerage, duty (possibly) and maybe receive free US shipping from suppliers.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #118

Looking at a map. one wonders why this was set up as part of US. About 2 miles offshore the international boundary drops and skirts around Vancouver Island. If they just moved that point 3 miles east then Point Roberts would have remained with Canada?
Old 04-17-2020, 11:28 AM   #119

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Looking at a map. one wonders why this was set up as part of US. About 2 miles offshore the international boundary drops and skirts around Vancouver Island. If they just moved that point 3 miles east then Point Roberts would have remained with Canada?
When the original boundaries were set up they figured that the 49th parallel would pass below Point Roberts, but they were wrong. I don't know who they were but just quoting something I remember reading about it years ago.

On edit, here is a quote from Wikipedia:
Point Roberts was created when the United Kingdom and the United States settled the Pacific Northwest American-Canadian border dispute in the mid-19th century with the Oregon Treaty. Both parties agreed the 49th parallel would delineate both countries' territories, but they overlooked the small area that incorporates Point Roberts (south of the 49th parallel). Questions about ceding the territory to the United Kingdom and later to Canada have been raised since its creation but its status has remained unchanged.
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
Old 04-17-2020, 01:06 PM   #120

Quote:
Also Jim you may wonder about the Northwest Angle of MN which you can only get to by land through Canada. Here like Barry says they thought Lake of the Woods was round and not quite where they thought it was so when the 49th parallel was chosen as the border from Lake of the Woods, this orphaned piece of the US ended up north of the 49th. It sticks into Lake of the Woods from the border between Ontario and Manitoba.

I've been fishing on Buffalo Bay with my son. It's the only part of the lake in MB. From that bay you can go either north, east, or south and end up in the US!
Closed Thread