Canadian border closing - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #81

Trailer: ?
First off, I know nothing about Canadian law. Based on typical US state law, and such laws do vary from state to state,
if I were you, I would get a written statement from Escape stating the exact date and time, title/ownership to the trailer passed from them to you. There is too much money at stake to make a guess.
Referring to my paperwork from Escape. The completion date, bill of sale and certificate of origin are all dated 13-Feb-19.
It went through customs on the 15th.

When I registered the trailer in CO, they used the 13th as the date I took ownership from ETI.
Had I chosen to have ETI store the trailer for say 30 days, CO would still have used the 13th as the date of transfer.

Enjoy your new trailer.

Ed
Old 03-21-2020, 09:58 PM   #82

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
As far as possession of the trailer, ours was finished at the end of November 2018 and we had to pay up the total at that time and Escape stored it until we could pick it up in May. We asked at that time and were told we should get insurance as it was now ours so we did. Our 21 was at Escape last year during their fire so you never know what can happen.
The insurance was only for when it was in storage so it was a reasonable cost. We were coming from within Canada so that might be different?
Old 03-22-2020, 01:52 AM   #83

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Tom, thank you for posting this sobering account of what occurs to the body from this virus. It certainly puts things into perspective.

We came to that conclusion ourselves, and canceled our April date. There are just too many risks for everyone involved, including ETI members having to quarantine for two weeks!
Would you or anybody else happen to know of, or have used any Canadian insurance companies for the purposes of insuring our new Escape while in storage?
- Perhaps ETI may have some information about that?

I’d like to know what everybody else is doing, especially those of you with pick up dates this upcoming week. Postponing? Until we have more info, or until after it’s peaked?
Stay well and healthy everyone...
Yes, I would like to know what every one else is doing.

My trailer is ready for pickup and I don't like it sitting 4000 km away. If it was a little warmer, I would go and get it. Sleep in my truck and eat off my tailgate minimizing any contact with anyone. I don't need an orientation, this is trailer number 7.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:25 AM   #84

Concerning insurance coverage.
We are insured through Progressive.

Here is what our policy states concerning where the policy applies.

POLICY PERIOD AND TERRITORY
This policy applies only to accidents and losses occurring during the policy period shown on the declarations page and that occur within a state, territory, or possession of the United States of America, or a province or territory of Canada, or while a cov- ered vehicle is being transported between their ports.
If the Mexico Coverage provision extends Collision Coverage or Comprehensive Cov- erage for a loss, the territory shall extend to Mexico and transportation between its ports, but only to the extent described under Part I—Damage To A Vehicle.

My trailer was completed on 13-Feb-19. I had the insurance coverage start on the 12th. At no time during my discussions with Progressive did the question of the trailers exact location on the 12th come up. The policy clearly states that I am covered in Canada.

I would check with your insurance carrier. Your trailer may well be covered in Canada .
Old 03-22-2020, 07:31 AM   #85

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My truck was built and completed in May, 2014 at the factory, but I did not purchase it until August 2014, when I picked it up and drove it home from the dealer. My insurance was in effect the day I picked it up, not any earlier. My title/registration is dated August, not any earlier, and I only received title after paying a tax to register.
I can not register/title my Escape until I pay a excise or sales tax. Sometimes that date is 60 days after picking up. That later date is what is on the title/registration.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #86

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Until the trailer is imported into the US and you take possession, it is not yours. Escape still is responsible for getting it across the border to you, then it become yours. Your insurance will cover you after you take possession, not before the paperwork is signed and the trailer is imported to the US and Customs signs the paperwork. Let Escape store the trailer, used to be 90 days free.
So sorry for the predicament in Alaska, Tom, I hope and pray your village does not need any more ventilators.
This makes sense to me. I've arranged to store our trailer until the end of May, an Escape has never mentioned anything regarding me insuring it until I pick it up, at least from what I recall. Will look back thru everything today and email them tomorrow to confirm.

Larry
Old 03-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #87

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
There might be a difference of ownership date between trailers bought by Canadians, and trailers exported to the USA.

When I bought my trailer in 2013, I had to pay in full on the completion date. ETI claimed I then owned the trailer, and told me it was my responsibility to insure it until orientation/pickup at the ETI factory. My pickup was 2 months after completion.

I am thinking that for US customers, ETI may own the trailer until after it has been exported.

I could be wrong on this, but worth checking with ETI.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #88

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Hopefully we are plating our new 5.0 at least 30 days before taking possession.

I think I can do it in Colorado. So I can show up with Colorado plates and tags.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Hopefully we are plating our new 5.0 at least 30 days before taking possession.

I think I can do it in Colorado. So I can show up with Colorado plates and tags.
Check with your local DMV office. Oddly enough, some CO owners get different answers from their local office.

I had to provide the following to get the trailer registered and licensed:

Final bill of sale
Manufacturers certificate of origin
CBP Form 7501 stamped by US Customs
HS7 US DOT declaration
US Customs invoice
NAFTA certification.
Form 5106 importer ID

ETI provided all the necessary documents.

In other words, I needed the trailer to have been imported into the US. No VIN inspection was required.

E-mail your local office telling them in detail what you are doing and request a specific list of documentation required to import a new trailer from Canada. With that in hand, and all the required paperwork, plus a large check covering sales tax, fees, etc., the process went smoothly.

Enjoy

Ed
Old 03-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #90

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Insurance

Jim, Larry, Tim, Gbaglo, Ed, Kirk, & Yang,

It seems that we all have different experiences and understanding.
I’ve sent a note in to ETI, and will post the answer once I receive it. I do know that requirements to register varies wildly from state to state.

When we had our first trailer, we insured it starting from the moment the Escape was turned over to us. In hindsight, perhaps that was risky!

Thanks for everyone’s input. Take good care everyone!
Old 03-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #91

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Send a message via MSN to rayjyee1 Send a message via Yahoo to rayjyee1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
In other words, I needed the trailer to have been imported into the US. No VIN inspection was required.
Ed, did you drive it back to CO without tags? Sounds like some people do. We are scheduled to pick up our Escape 21 on the March 30th, but that may change. I plan to call them tomorrow to get the latest status. My first post on this Forum. Moving up from a Casita.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjyee1 View Post
Ed, did you drive it back to CO without tags? Sounds like some people do. We are scheduled to pick up our Escape 21 on the March 30th, but that may change. I plan to call them tomorrow to get the latest status. My first post on this Forum. Moving up from a Casita.
I had the trailer delivered.
However, if I had all the documents proving my ownership of the trailer and if I was heading mostly straight home, I wouldn’t hesitate to drive with no tags. Now if I was taking months to get home that would be a different story. Most states give a buyer X number of days to register a vehicle without being penalized. In CO it’s ten days.

Ed
Old 03-22-2020, 09:19 PM   #93

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Our first Escape was in 2019 and we were able to get plates before going to Chilliwack. A year later we were turned down at the same DMV office in Denver. We got temporary plates (3 days) and stopped at a local car dealer in Denver on our way home for the VIN verification form. We took that to the DMV along with everything else and got the plates. Good luck, sometimes it is just the way the wind blows or the effect of someone being a stickler.
Catherine
Old 03-22-2020, 09:38 PM   #94

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I picked up my trailer 17 May, went to Osyoos, traveled home to Calif, tried to register, got a run around, paperwork delayed, drove all the way to Bar Harbor, Maine before the plates made their way to me three months later. Not a soul ever mentioned the lack of plate except for one retired cop in a campground who inquired. And come to find out, places with automatic tolls take a picture of the rear, so my valiant efforts to call and pay tolls resulted in "we don't have any record of your car license plate. carry on!".

your actual mileage may vary.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:18 PM   #95

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
And come to find out, places with automatic tolls take a picture of the rear, so my valiant efforts to call and pay tolls resulted in "we don't have any record of your car license plate. carry on!"....
That is The Best reason not to sweat no tags prior to pickup. Cops only seem to be interested in the tow plates anyway, so reap the added benes where possible!
Old 03-22-2020, 10:56 PM   #96

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Has anyone heard of the situation where someone got ticketed and fined for not having a license plate for their new Escape while towing it home from the Canadian factory to their home state? Even when the "someone" takes a roundabout vacation before actually arriving home?

I don't think this is a big issue that people need to worry about. Sure, once you get it home you'd better hurry and title the trailer, pay the use tax, and get a plate.

Maybe it's a good idea to document that you tried to title the vehicle before you picked it up. But lots of states won't title the vehicle before it actually shows up in state.

- See if you can title your trailer with all the documentation Escape sends you when they assign a VIN,

- If you can't title until you bring the trailer to your home state, keep the paperwork with you, call your insurance agent to cover the trailer (the agent will want the VIN, etc.), and go get your trailer.

- If anyone questions why your trailer doesn't have a plate, tell them your story of woe about how you unsuccessfully tried to title your trailer early, show them the official paperwork (especially point out your home state listed on the Escape forms), tell the person that you're just traveling through their state, and relax. Really. Relax.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #97

Hey guys:

I just got off the phone with Escape and was able to ask the question about insurance. I asked the comptroller. Here is his answer 10 minutes ago.

Escape Industries carries full insurance on the trailer while in their possession. You do not need insurance until you take ownership in Sumas.

He was very clear.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #98

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You reinforced what was said in post # 78, it is not yours until it crosses the border at Sumas, Wa. For those unsure when that will happen you can always insure it before hand as the cost is minimal between 1-2 months but that way it is in effect once it reaches US soil. This is for US buyers only, Canadian owners have their own issues.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:04 PM   #99

Gonna try and plate it when the paperwork comes in. I'll let you guys know what happens.

I realize every state is different, but it's still interesting.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #100

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLSB View Post
This makes sense to me. I've arranged to store our trailer until the end of May, an Escape has never mentioned anything regarding me insuring it until I pick it up, at least from what I recall. Will look back thru everything today and email them tomorrow to confirm.

Larry
I asked at what point I need to insure the trailer. They told me to get insurance at completion, don’t wait till pickup.