Covid-19 door opening!!! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2020, 09:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I see many here are evidently insulated from the financial realities as most are retired and are lucky enough to own an Escape and be on this forum. Most however out there are not that fortunate and want to keep a roof over their head and food on the table.

Yes. Being retired and living alone with my nearest neighbor a quarter-mile away over open fields, I am in a very good position for riding this thing out. I have to remind myself daily that I am an exception and that many people in my area are having a really hard time.

My biggest problem so far is that I haven't had a haircut since February and I look like a Q-Tip. Well, okay-- a fat Q-Tip.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Mike I saw you at the Gold Bar Rally outside Moab. Remember that great ride up on the dusty canyon land trails? I know Q-tips Mike and you're no Q-tip.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:06 PM   #23

Yeah, bad analogy I guess. Couldn't think of a more appropriate one for the mop of white hair that I now have. Think I'll wait until June to get it cut. Might even let it grow and put it in a pony tail. Yeah...

And that was a great trip to Dead Horse Point.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:16 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Mike,
Sounds like you are alone and separated from civilization. With age and accidents at home, I feel more comfortable in a neighborhood that if I had to crawl outside someone would find me before I freeze to death. Have you given any thought to "time of need" situations? Having a relative or someone reliable near can bring a sigh of relief.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:35 AM   #25

I have a cousin who lives a mile up the road and I keep a cellphone with me all the time. That's the best I can do. I made my choice and have to live with it.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #26
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I Sincerely Thank you for your post and your service to humanity as a doctor whether is be at this time or in the past.
I have very limited medical knowledge but believe you have hit the nail on the head
Iowa Dave
Than you Iowa Dave, and others who have replied. You are all very kind.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #27

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
This is interesting

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/15/w...-cottages.html
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:44 AM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
We are dealing with that here. I have no problem with "come to Whidbey and shelter in place" but going back and forth as many are doing is not okay unless they do not shop or buy gas here.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 ft
Hindsight?

When following stats it is apparent those over 60 &/or with underlying health conditions are at greatest risk for COVID 19 - 6% death rate world wide (though cases for children are emerging..). Therefore protecting the vulnerable population by isolating and locking them down, while letting everyone else work with best practices for distancing and infection control could have been a strategy. However, enforcing by having people share health conditions would be a challenge plus admitting risk conditions - we don't feel vulnerable despite being seniors! Hoping to get back to our campground which already had a policy of cleaning bathrooms three times a day. I have often thought campers could play a role in cleaning.
Weluvcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvcamping View Post
When following stats it is apparent those over 60 &/or with underlying health conditions are at greatest risk for COVID 19 - 6% death rate world wide (though cases for children are emerging..). Therefore protecting the vulnerable population by isolating and locking them down, while letting everyone else work with best practices for distancing and infection control could have been a strategy.
The problem is that if everyone else is out they don't follow best practices and they bring the disease home to the vulnerable. And either we go shopping for ourselves or risk having someone bring it to us- or starve. Most of us settle with going out as little as possible. But a former neighbor of mine died of it and she had not left her home, a family member who was an essential worker brought it home.

The problem is that what people are in such a hurry to have- with the exception of camping!- is the things involving close contact (salons, barbershops) and crowds of people (concerts, bars, shopping, festivals). Self-contained camping should be safe. Gas stations would be safe with hand sanitizer available (or someone wiping down pump handles).
Old 05-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
You're spot on Bobbie. We've decided that we're going to continue being very isolated and using caution through 2020 to see what Fall brings. However, we have two kiddos, one finishing HS and one in Jr year of college which are the vulnerable points. Can't require them to stay in much longer and you just have to hope they are careful when they're out.
A balancing act for sure, like your former neighbor had to deal with. We're sorry to hear about her passing. It must have been very tough on the family member who brought it home, that would be hard.
I guess it's the new reality for many of us until it passes, which it will at some point.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Can't require them to stay in much longer and you just have to hope they are careful when they're out.

Tell them they can go out, but they can't come back in. It's your health at stake.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #33

There is one silver lining to the current situation, drive in movies are seeing a resurgence, shades of the 1950/60's. Now if they would only open a drive in movie cg where one could watch a movie out their rear window. Every night a new feature with bluetooth speaker for sound.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is one silver lining to the current situation, drive in movies are seeing a resurgence, shades of the 1950/60's. Now if they would only open a drive in movie cg where one could watch a movie out their rear window. Every night a new feature with bluetooth speaker for sound.
There's one in Oregon! https://www.hiwayhaven.com/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #35

Great find, there Donna, thanks. We normally take 97 north at Mt. Shasta but we can stay on I5 to Sutherlin, spend the night, watch a movie and then head north and work our way over to 97 on 20.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #36

There is one on Whidbey, too, but right now they are not showing movies, just doing takeout.
https://www.bluefoxdrivein.com/
Old 05-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #37

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Well come on over, you can park the Escape on the side of the house. Here's the rules for Pleasant Valley Drive In in Barkhampsted CT.

Due to the Covid 19 Pandemic the following rules will be in place:
If the rules are not followed we will be forced to close so PLEASE do your part!
  • PARKING: 1 car between poles or pylons. You must sit inside your car (until May 20, 2020) As of 5/20/2020 you will be allowed to sit outside directly in front of your own car.
  • CONCESSION: One window is for ordering and one is for pick up with 6 foot distancing markers in place.
  • RESTROOMS: One person at a time in the restroom. The line will form outside the door with 6 foot distancing markers in place.
We are begging all of you to abide by these rules so the state allows us to remain open. That way we can all have a little bit of enjoyment during these very difficult times.
Thank you and thank you for your continued support!

Call of the Wild starts at 10:25
Old 05-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #38

I think the reason the theater can't operate here is the restrooms. (Pretty much the only safe theater would be a drive-in if everybody went before the left home!)
Old 05-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I think the reason the theater can't operate here is the restrooms. (Pretty much the only safe theater would be a drive-in if everybody went before the left home!)

We could just bring the porta-potty out of our 17A. Some trailers just have All the advantages!!!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
We could just bring the porta-potty out of our 17A. Some trailers just have All the advantages!!!
And just where would you put it to use it??