COVID and Traveling Safe - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2020, 06:05 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Steven M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21 currently pulled by a 2014 Chevy Traverse
Posts: 312
https://www.waff.com/2020/07/01/doct...-wearing-mask/


https://www.businessinsider.com/anti...ditions-2020-5


To say that you can't wear a mask for medical reasons is, probably, the most important reason TO wear a mask in public. Those who have trouble breathing, asthma, COPD and other lung problems have a greater chance of dying from COVID=19 or the Coronavirus or whatever you wish to call it.

More and more stores are requiring that people wear masks in their stores. Here in Illinois it is mandated and I only wish that everyone wore the mask properly. I've seen too many people with their noses exposed or wearing it as a chin warmer until an employee approaches and they pull it up. To those who say it is their choice to wear a mask or not I say yes, but it is the right of the store to refuse you service.

Do I like wearing a mask, no but I understand the reasons why and do so. I protect others from me and maybe gain a little protection from them. If others wear a mask then maybe we can stop the /slow the spread, if not than maybe the government will close us down again as in California. Others have already said this, you can't fix stupid.

And push comes to shove wear a face shield.
__________________

__________________
Peace and safe journeys,
Steven M
Steven M is offline  
Old 07-18-2020, 07:04 PM   #42
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 22,794
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Our daughter and family traveled last week to their new home in KS from GA. They wore masks at all stops. The nearly three year old loves hers so much and doesn't want to remove it even in the van. She wanted to sleep so just pulled it up over her eyes.
Now that is cute.........
__________________

__________________
Jim
Sometimes life gets in the way of living......
cpaharley2008 is offline  
Old 07-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
strawbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rockwell, North Carolina
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
Posts: 130
Open your heart and put your trust in the lord, not the television.
strawbarry is offline  
Old 07-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Steven M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21 currently pulled by a 2014 Chevy Traverse
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbarry View Post
Open your heart and put your trust in the lord, not the television.

In God we trust, all others pay cash.



One can believe in God and science. Or for the story of the man who is in a flood. He's up on his roof praying to God to protect him; A fire truck rolls by and with a ladder offers help and he says God will protect me.A boat comes and offers to take him and he says, God will protect me. A helicopter arrives and offers to take him, and he says God will protect me. Finally the rising waters come and sweep him away and he drowns. He arrives in Heaven and finally comes before his maker. why did you not protect me Lord? God's reply, What do you want I sent a fire truck ,a boat and a helicopter.
__________________
Peace and safe journeys,
Steven M
Steven M is offline  
Old 07-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,476
Yup

I heard that one a while back but forgot how it came out. Hope you’re coping as best possible.
Best of luck for the rest of the summer and fall. We are sheltering in place pretty much.
Iowa Dave
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline  
Old 07-18-2020, 10:37 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
diannelgraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Snohomish, Washington
Trailer: 2017 19 foot Escape
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
You can get her a face shield which should be acceptable in lieu of a mask. But this mask thing isn't stopping soon so it might be a good idea if she spends a few minutes each day trying to get used to wearing one, sitting calmly at home. And try a few kinds. If she needs to go somewhere and doesn't have a face shield, they aren't likely going to have one to give to her but they might have a mask.

Many people do not get very sick or don't get sick at all. A lot of people end up hospitalized for weeks and then have what may be permanent heart lung, or neurological damage. And a lot of people die. Masks protect us from the asymptomatic person who unknowingly is spreading virus- they work best if that person is wearing a mask but they help even if that person is not wearing one. The recent science suggests that the more virus you get the sicker you get so even if 10% of that person's cough gets to you that's better than 100%.

I don't know anyone who likes wearing a mask. Ok, my grandkids thought it was fun for a few minutes. I make sure mine fit so that I can see the mask fabric raise and lower with my breath, and that means it isn't very comfortable in warmer weather. I carry more than one with me when I'm going somewhere because I don't reuse one once I take it off. Take it off put in the dirty mask bag or my pocket, clean my hands put a fresh one on if I go somewhere else. Fresh helps and being able to breathe without one in the interval alone helps, But all of it is better than getting sick and having trouble breathing or worse, giving it to someone who dies, such as my 91 year old mother.

I think we can travel safely but there are risks such as having the car break down (remember, the tow truck driver won't be allowed to take you anywhere) or getting sick away from home. Those are always difficult things but are a larger concern now.
Very well written, thank you from someone at higher risk of dying if I get infected by someone not wearing a mask and not socializing from me in a store.
diannelgraham is offline  
Old 07-18-2020, 11:39 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Trailer: 2013 Li'l Hauley
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
... To those who say it is their choice to wear a mask or not I say yes, but it is the right of the store to refuse you service...
That is true.


My sister works at a Meijer in Michigan. The state has mandated mask wearing. My sister says the first thing customers encounter when walking into the store entrance is an employee advising them that if they have no mask, right here is a rack full of them ready for purchase. Instant up-sell... they have a nose for commerce, methinks.
__________________
Losing weight puts one at much greater risk of becoming thin.
Mike G is offline  
Old 07-18-2020, 11:56 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2019 Expedition
Posts: 3,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
That is true.


My sister works at a Meijer in Michigan. The state has mandated mask wearing. My sister says the first thing customers encounter when walking into the store entrance is an employee advising them that if they have no mask, right here is a rack full of them ready for purchase. Instant up-sell... they have a nose for commerce, methinks.
Our local ACE Hardware has a greeter too to be sure people have masks- if not they will give you one free.
__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline  
Old 07-19-2020, 12:30 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
arniesea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Posts: 1,135
Liberty without responsibility is not freedom. It's adolescence. We do many things in our society for the good of the community, obey traffic laws, wear shirt and shoes in restaurants for public health, etc.

If I'm seeking advice on how to fix a leaking pipe, I call a plumber not a politician. Regarding the spread of Covid 19, the medical experts say the most effective way to curb its spread is if everyone wore masks. Ironically, if this advice were followed by most people, then the infections in the US would be declining not rising, leading to more opening of businesses and more freedom of movement / activities in our lives.
__________________
- Arnie & Paula & Kizzy the rat terrier
https://www.arniesea.com
- 2019 5.0 TA, 2017 Tundra Platinum.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline  
Old 07-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #50
Member
 
HarleyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Posts: 91
My rights end at the end of my nose, not the end of your nose. I wear a mask to help keep you safe, what are you doing for me, and for yourself?
Zero difference than wearing a hard hat in a construction zone. No one balks at that.
__________________
HarleyD
2018 5.0TA-
-2016 F150 3.5EB 4X4
HarleyD is offline  
Old 07-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
TTMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
My rights end at the end of my nose, not the end of your nose. I wear a mask to help keep you safe, what are you doing for me, and for yourself?
Zero difference than wearing a hard hat in a construction zone. No one balks at that.
Regardless, of which nose you use as the measure, not wearing a mask can cause the virus to spread further from your body, and possibly into the nose of someone else. Which means if you don't wear a mask there is a possibility that you are extending your rights past the tip of someone else's nose.

In other words don't be selfish wear a mask when shopping.
TTMartin is offline  
Old 07-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #52
Member
 
HarleyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Posts: 91
My point exactly.
__________________
HarleyD
2018 5.0TA-
-2016 F150 3.5EB 4X4
HarleyD is offline  
Old 07-19-2020, 09:39 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,557
Visitors to an area who come in and refuse to mask up or social distance is a huge problem for tourist destinations. My daughter works in several restaurants on the California coast and she hates to see groups come in, no distancing, no masks. (She's less worried now the governor closed restaurants again as of Friday but it still affects take out and anywhere she has to go to shop.)
Bobbie54 is offline  
Old 07-19-2020, 10:05 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 2,897
When I enter a store , I look around to see if people / store employees are wearing a mask and social distancing .
If I see people bunching up or not wearing masks I head right back out the door .
For me that is a signal that the establishment does not want my business or care about their customers
Sometimes the only way to get a business to do the right thing even though it is not mandated is too hurt them in the wallet

We went to see my sister this week and camped at a Dane County Wi park .
Dane County requires you to wear a mask in any public space and in our 3 days there did not see one person not complying with the order . It doesn’t take much effort to comply just a mask , a brain.and a little common decency!
steve dunham is offline  
Old 07-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Perryb67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Posts: 812
This morning I got the results back from my Covid-19 test I took yesterday.
Negative!
Turns out the cold I got from my year-old grandson is just a cold. He tested negative too. People look at me when I hack though. And yes, I wear a mask!

Our home of Lanesboro (pop 754) is a tourist destination:
Root River for tubing, kayaking, canoeing,
Root River Bicycle Trail has about 100 miles of to-die-for bike trails
Golfing
Trout fishing
Two live theaters (not this year though)
Great food venues
Bed and Breakfast Capital of Minnesota
Numerous gift/souvenir shops
Eagle Bluff Environmental Center
1,000 or more campsites within ten miles
On a weekend there are easily 10-20,000 people enjoying the area. It's a zoo!

Perhaps 10% of the people are wearing masks.
And we wonder why the US leads the world in Covid-19 cases/deaths still today, while other countries are getting back to normal?

Perry
__________________
Those who know everything use pens. Intelligent people use pencils.
Perryb67 is offline  
Old 07-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
diannelgraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Snohomish, Washington
Trailer: 2017 19 foot Escape
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When I enter a store , I look around to see if people / store employees are wearing a mask and social distancing .
If I see people bunching up or not wearing masks I head right back out the door .
For me that is a signal that the establishment does not want my business or care about their customers
Sometimes the only way to get a business to do the right thing even though it is not mandated is too hurt them in the wallet

We went to see my sister this week and camped at a Dane County Wi park .
Dane County requires you to wear a mask in any public space and in our 3 days there did not see one person not complying with the order . It doesn’t take much effort to comply just a mask , a brain.and a little common decency!
Yesterday I went to Home Depot and was only in the stores less then 10 minutes and I saw Five people not wearing masks, In Washington state masks are mandatory. I went home and sent an email to the store manager explaining why I would be taking my business to their competitor. Chances are even after this pandemic is over I will never spend my money in Home Depot again.
diannelgraham is offline  
Old 07-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,476
I’ve been told I’ll run out of places to shop because I don’t spend money where I don’t like the policies, attitude, prices or whatever. I smile when poorly run businesses go out of business regardless of the size. As Americans we need to do our very best at all times and not wearing a mask isn’t in anyones best interest.
Iowa Dave
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline  
Old 07-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
Yesterday I went to Home Depot and was only in the stores less then 10 minutes and I saw Five people not wearing masks, In Washington state masks are mandatory. I went home and sent an email to the store manager explaining why I would be taking my business to their competitor. Chances are even after this pandemic is over I will never spend my money in Home Depot again.
Home Depot just announced they were going to require masks in ALL their stores.
Bobbie54 is offline  
Old 07-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #59
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 22,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
This morning I got the results back from my Covid-19 test I took yesterday.
Negative!
Turns out the cold I got from my year-old grandson is just a cold. He tested negative too. People look at me when I hack though. And yes, I wear a mask!

Our home of Lanesboro (pop 754) is a tourist destination:
Root River for tubing, kayaking, canoeing,
Root River Bicycle Trail has about 100 miles of to-die-for bike trails
Golfing
Trout fishing
Two live theaters (not this year though)
Great food venues
Bed and Breakfast Capital of Minnesota
Numerous gift/souvenir shops
Eagle Bluff Environmental Center
1,000 or more campsites within ten miles
On a weekend there are easily 10-20,000 people enjoying the area. It's a zoo!

Perhaps 10% of the people are wearing masks.
And we wonder why the US leads the world in Covid-19 cases/deaths still today, while other countries are getting back to normal?

Perry
Perhaps your City Council can pass a mask rule for all visitors subject to a fine, one way to curb scofflaws and generate revenue. I heard Gallup, NM will not let anyone into their town which is mainly native americans who have been hit hard by the pandemic.
__________________
Jim
Sometimes life gets in the way of living......
cpaharley2008 is offline  
Old 07-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Steven M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21 currently pulled by a 2014 Chevy Traverse
Posts: 312
Steven D It's the last two things on your list that seem to be lacking in too many people.
__________________

__________________
Peace and safe journeys,
Steven M
Steven M is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×