COVID and Traveling Safe - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #101

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Attachment 48874

Exhalation takes the path of least resistance. A tight fit could reduce leakage. But I wonder if any people manage a good enough fit to prevent leakage from occurring?
Some leakage is better than no mask. But if the mask is going up and down as you breathe in and out, it's not leaking too much. Some aerosol is going to go through a mask, too- even the best ones. The point is to reduce exposure and therefore reduce spread and reduce serious illness.

Staying home is better than any mask (assuming nobody visits you.)
Attached Thumbnails
store without a mask.jpg  
Old 07-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #102

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I have a little bit different take on mask wearing then some others. As a society we are not good at compliance that we dont like...wearing mask in public and enclosed buildings. Its ironic because if we could slow down the spread by wearing mask you would think everyone would do it. I mean we all want business and the economy to get back to normal as quickly as possible yet many continue to object to the wearing of masks. With mixed messaging from politicians but a pretty clear message from medical professionals we still object to doing what is probably in our best interest.

We have done some traveling since the covid out break. We actually picked up our E19 on 3/23 in Sumas when that area was the epicenter. We wore mask and used hand sanitizer and kept our hands away from our face. It was not difficult and really proved to be very easy. We found that in most small towns mask were almost none existent. Even here in Texas many of the small towns had people without mask. Are they too proud or stupid or just interested in what they feel is right...who knows.

All I know is that countries that have successful testing and mask wearing seem to be able to open their economies up. We have opened our economies up and covid is spreading and mask wearing is still receiving push back. Its hard to ignore what seems obvious yet some are ok with it and life goes on...hopefully without any bad repercussions from catching this virus.

Stay safe out there
Old 07-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #103

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Exhalation takes the path of least resistance. A tight fit could reduce leakage. But I wonder if any people manage a good enough fit to prevent leakage from occurring?
LOL! Looks like something you'd find on Facebook. If masks were that poor think about how many would be infected on operating tables.

I'll take my advice from:
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
Cleveland Clinic
New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell, N.Y.
UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
Pick one and show me where they agree with you. I'm 45 minutes from the Mayo, so they're my expert of choice.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #104

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Staying home is better than any mask (assuming nobody visits you.)
Even with high risk individual staying home and getting contactless curbside pick up of groceries, people going into stores without masks, still endanger those high risk individuals.

When someone goes into the store without a mask and they happen to be asymptomatically positive for Covid 19. They risk infecting the person who picks the groceries for the high risk individual who is not coming in the store.

As someone goes through the store without a mask and they happen to be asymptomatically positive for Covid 19 they are directly contaminating the surfaces of products in the store that may be selected for contactless delivery to a high risk individual.

So, it's really annoying when people say if you don't like me not wearing a mask stay at home. While, I know you didn't use those words, your statement does imply it.

And, again you don't wear a mask to protect yourself, you wear a mask to protect others!!!

CDC updates COVID-19 transmission webpage to clarify information about types of spread

The primary and most important mode of transmission for COVID-19 is through close contact from person-to-person. Based on data from lab studies on COVID-19 and what we know about similar respiratory diseases, it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this isn’t thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:38 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Even with high risk individual staying home and getting contactless curbside pick up of groceries, people going into stores without masks, still endanger those high risk individuals.
Oh, I know. A friend of ours died without leaving her home. A family member who was an essential worker brought it home.

Quote:

The primary and most important mode of transmission for COVID-19 is through close contact from person-to-person. Based on data from lab studies on COVID-19 and what we know about similar respiratory diseases, it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this isn’t thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
At least some super-spreader events have been essentially no contact except through the air. The Mt. Vernon choir, the restaurants- people nearby and downwind (in the case of singers, wind they were creating!) infected multiple people. Surface spread may not be important (though I'm not convinced of that yet as it is harder to trace) but airborne spread is real and if the air currents are right, you don't have to be that close.

And no- I'm implying that if someone doesn't think a mask works they should stay home!
Old 07-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #106

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Medical expert advised on a recent radio show that one should wash reusable masks with soap and water, not spray with disinfectant. Anybody know why an application of 70 per cent alcohol would not work on a mask, when it is advised for hands?
Old 07-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #107

Quote:
Oh, I know. A friend of ours died without leaving her home. A family member who was an essential worker brought it home.
Sorry for your loss.

Quote:
And no- I'm implying that if someone doesn't think a mask works they should stay home!
And sorry for my reaction. I've seen too many people say that, and it hits a nerve with me.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:49 PM   #108

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Medical expert advised on a recent radio show that one should wash reusable masks with soap and water, not spray with disinfectant. Anybody know why an application of 70 per cent alcohol would not work on a mask, when it is advised for hands?
I bought a UV sterilizer, I use it after every use of my masks. Also great for credit cards, keys, glasses anything that will fit in the box.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #109

Quote:
It's probably less about 70% isopropyl alcohol, which will completely evaporate and more about other chemical disinfectants that may remain on in the mask. That chemical residue could be drawn into your lungs as you inhale. Despite what someone may have said, getting chemical disinfectants inside of you is not a good idea.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
I bought a UV sterilizer, I use it after every use of my masks. Also great for credit cards, keys, glasses anything that will fit in the box.
Just be very careful about your eyes when using UV light.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #111

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hmmmm

Quote:
It's probably less about 70% isopropyl alcohol, which will completely evaporate and more about other chemical disinfectants that may remain on in the mask. That chemical residue could be drawn into your lungs as you inhale. Despite what someone may have said, getting chemical disinfectants inside of you is not a good idea.
Dip that mask in Everclear, let it air out, or not and you ought to be good to go .
Just kidding. But sounds like a science experiment for returning college students.
Personally I use a home made Star Wars pattern cloth mask with a shop towel insert both of which can be washed and dried.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-20-2020, 06:17 PM   #112

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
It's probably less about 70% isopropyl alcohol, which will completely evaporate and more about other chemical disinfectants that may remain on in the mask. That chemical residue could be drawn into your lungs as you inhale.

What I have is PSP (brand ) Spray On Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70%.
Says 70% v/v and rest is water.
Would that make it safe for my COPD lungs?
Old 07-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #113

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
We simply throw our cloth masks in with the rest of the laundry.

Sam
Old 07-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #114

Quote:
What I have is PSP (brand ) Spray On Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70%.
Says 70% v/v and rest is water.
Would that make it safe for my COPD lungs?
With COPD, you should ask your pulmonologist that question.

For my personal (non-cloth) mask, I'm comfortable spraying it with 70% isopropyl alcohol, and blotting it with a clean white towel to remove any accumulated dirt and oils.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #115

I put my used cloth mask in my pocket or a plastic bag and when I get home I wash it with soap and water as I wash my hands. The mask gets put up to dry (or thrown in the dryer if I might need it soon) and I finish washing my hands just in case. Easy peasy. Having multiple masks is helpful as I do not like to rewear one if I go into a second store plus I like to breathe between uses and taking it off is a good way to contaminate hands. (At which point they get the hand sanitizer.)
Old 07-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #116

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Very cute Bobbie
Thanks for the laugh
Attached Thumbnails
store without a mask.jpg  
Old 07-20-2020, 07:31 PM   #117

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Just be very careful about your eyes when using UV light.
Yes I know, I make sure it is closed completely before turning on...thank you
Old 07-21-2020, 07:22 AM   #118

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
An interesting read on "Why men are less likely to wear masks" on BBC.

Enjoy,

Perry