COVID and Traveling Safe - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 12:00 AM   #1

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
COVID and Traveling Safe

Here's my take to avoid human interaction after numerous trips with COVID. When stopping for fuel, wear gloves when touching pump, no need to go inside, squirt your hands with alcohol spray or use alcohol wipes when taking off gloves. Carry cooler for drinks and make your lunch before you depart. For pottie breaks, go in trailer and have bottle water available to flush down. Most camp registrations are drive up where you don't need to get out of vehicle, wear mask. RV camping is a great way to get outside during these troubling times.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You don't need gloves. Covid does not enter the body through the skin. After pumping gas, use a sanitizer or wash your hands with soap and water. This is done to keep you from moving the virus from you hands to your face ( eyes, mouth, nose ) where it can enter your respiratory system.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
At one point, I would carry wipes and wipe the pump down, not only for my self, but others, when finished, grab my hand sanitizer I left on the roof before I get back in the car. Gloves, they just fill the dump.

Yes, RVing is a great way to travel, but I have a hard time getting to far from home in case we get sick. For a family of 4, we're high risk, we all are working, all around people.

Luckily, the London area has had very few cases over the last month.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I agree with gbaglo's comment regarding skin contact transmission. However it is better to be safe than sorry. You can't over do the sanitation, your only risk is in failing to do enough. Social distancing is critical, particularly if you are approached by someone not wearing a mask. The mask is primarily to protect others from the wearer's virus.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I gassed at a Quik Star yesterday. They had hand sanitizer dispensers at each island and pull out paper towels. I wipe down my credit card, use a towel on the handle of the pump, use the pump nozzle to make my fuel selection and ask for a receipt. Then when I get back in the vehicle I use my sanitizer on my hands and a chlorox wipe on my credit card, the door handle and any frequently touched buttons etc it’s been working for us so far.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I leave a pump bottle of hand sanitizer in the door pocket of my pickup. Initially I tried to use it after every stop, but now I use it even when I get into the truck to leave the house. That seems to be the only way to train myself to use the stuff reflexively.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You don't need gloves. Covid does not enter the body through the skin. After pumping gas, use a sanitizer or wash your hands with soap and water. This is done to keep you from moving the virus from you hands to your face ( eyes, mouth, nose ) where it can enter your respiratory system.
I have diesel vehicle, and I wear a glove when pumping fuel just so my hand doesn't stink like diesel for the rest of the day. Did this before Covid 19, will continue to do it afterwards. The nice thing is I had a supply of gloves before they sold out.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Don't forget to use sanitizer before you go into a store or to a gas pump- protect them from you, too!
Old 07-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I use the one glove method on my right hand. I use my left hand to get out of truck and open my Gas cap . I then insert my card with left hand making sure I don't touch pump. enter my zip code and pump with the gloved hand.I replace my covid free gas cap with left hand again. remove glove and dispose with out touching the out side. open door with left hand then hand sanitize . I now always wear a mask when pumping. We our still planning to do a trip and pick up our new 19' I am not to excited driving into Washington so where going to get it delivered into the least affected western state.witch ever that may be at the time.It seems to be changing daily.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
supplies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Here's my take to avoid human interaction after numerous trips with COVID. When stopping for fuel, wear gloves when touching pump, no need to go inside, squirt your hands with alcohol spray or use alcohol wipes when taking off gloves. Carry cooler for drinks and make your lunch before you depart. For pottie breaks, go in trailer and have bottle water available to flush down. Most camp registrations are drive up where you don't need to get out of vehicle, wear mask. RV camping is a great way to get outside during these troubling times.
What do you do for groceries or other supplies?
Short term - long term, more than a week.
THX!
Old 07-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
What do you do for groceries or other supplies?
Short term - long term, more than a week.
THX!
Both Walmart and Sam's Club (and other stores) offer contactless, curbside pickup. You put your order in, schedule the pick up time, you go to the store at the pickup time, you check in on your cellphone with your spot number and the color of your vehicle, they bring the order out to your vehicle and standing 6 feet away wearing a mask (please you do the same) they verify your name, if anything was out of stock they verify that you are aware of it, also, when you place your order you can choose to allow substitutions on certain items, if substitutions were made they verify they were okay, they ask if it is okay for them to sign for your order. They will then load the order in your vehicle, close the door or the trunk lid, they go inside and you drive away with your shopping complete.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I use the one glove method on my right hand. I use my left hand to get out of truck and open my Gas cap . I then insert my card with left hand making sure I don't touch pump. enter my zip code and pump with the gloved hand.I replace my covid free gas cap with left hand again. remove glove and dispose with out touching the out side. open door with left hand then hand sanitize . I now always wear a mask when pumping. We our still planning to do a trip and pick up our new 19' I am not to excited driving into Washington so where going to get it delivered into the least affected western state.witch ever that may be at the time.It seems to be changing daily.
That's identical to what I do. Except, I'm still planing on picking up my Escape 19 in Sumas, WA.

That is unless my wife can't make the trip, due to her cancer treatments which have now been extended to include oral chemo after her initial IV chemo, surgery, and current radiation treatment plan that was suppose to end in August.

If she can't get the time for the trip, we may just have it delivered to Ohio.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Both Walmart and Sam's Club (and other stores) offer contactless, curbside pickup. You put your order in, schedule the pick up time, you go to the store at the pickup time, you check in on your cellphone with your spot number and the color of your vehicle, they bring the order out to your vehicle and standing 6 feet away wearing a mask (please you do the same) they verify your name, if anything was out of stock they verify that you are aware of it, also, when you place your order you can choose to allow substitutions on certain items, if substitutions were made they verify they were okay, they ask if it is okay for them to sign for your order. They will then load the order in your vehicle, close the door or the trunk lid, they go inside and you drive away with your shopping complete.

THX!
That is very similar to what we do now, at our local Kroger store.
Should work much the same. quite convenient and relatively safe.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
THX!
That is very similar to what we do now, at our local Kroger store.
Should work much the same. quite convenient and relatively safe.
We take the extra step of disinfecting everything we bought either by spraying with 70% isopropyl alcohol or by dipping them in a sink full of a mild bleach and water solution. That will be a little harder on the road, hopefully we won't need to buy anything before picking up our trailer. We've been extra cautious since the very beginning due to dealing with cancer in the middle of a pandemic. Lots of fun. NOT!.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post

My method exactly. Although I wipe my card down with hand sanitizer too. We just got back from a short trip (in WA) and while most people were okay - we kayaked and people on the beach kept in their groups except for little kids who can't be controlled anyway .

However we took the steepest hike we could find - 1800' elevation gain in 1 1/2 miles - to avoid people, but we still came across three couples on the narrow trail, and they all talked to us and didn't try to avoid the couple scrambling away from them up the side of the trail. You'd think they'd take a hint...
Old 07-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I saw a man wearing a red T shirt this week that said
“ I am a true American Patriot , I refuse to wear a mask “
Kind of says it all !!
Old 07-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I saw a man wearing a red T shirt this week that said
“ I am a true American Patriot , I refuse to wear a mask “
Kind of says it all !!
I think that someone with a lot of money should fly over the states without adequate safety mandates The plane should be fairly large like a C5A. They should fly over hotspots dumping thousands of T shirts that say “Can’t fix Stupid”. Masks would be more appropriate but see suggestion one for T shirts.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #18

Trailer: 2012 E19
An older lady in a mobility cart doing her grocery shopping in Florida was verbally abused the other day by a store employee and another shopper because she wasn't wearing a mask. (There was no legal requirement in FL at the time.) She was quite upset afterward. Do ordinary people have the right to appoint themselves as self-righteous do-gooder 'covid cops'? When did public shaming and rudeness become socially acceptable?

My wife feels physically ill and nauseous if she wears a mask for more than a couple of minutes; I now fear for her safety if she were to go to the store alone without a mask, because too many yahoo zealots think they have the right to take matters into their own hands even when there's no law requiring mask use.

People need to remember that catching the virus is not an automatic death sentence (most people wind up with mild or no noticeable symptoms), and that it's none of their business what the other person wears or doesn't wear. (Well, except for pants...)
Old 07-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #19

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
You wearing a mask protects me. I wear a mask to protect you. It's simple, and yes, I sarcastically thank people for "not caring about my health." If they feel they can endanger my life than they should buck up when someone points out their self-centered lifestyle. Covid-19 is real!

If you feel you can't wear a mask don't go into a store. Every grocery store I know, you can order by phone or online and have curbside pickup.

I don't drive 120 mph, never drive when I've had more than one drink, and stay home when I'm sick. I care about other people, not just myself.

My best friend in life (aside from Terry) died of Covid-19.

Perry
Old 07-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post

My wife feels physically ill and nauseous if she wears a mask for more than a couple of minutes; I now fear for her safety if she were to go to the store alone without a mask, because too many yahoo zealots think they have the right to take matters into their own hands even when there's no law requiring mask use.

People need to remember that catching the virus is not an automatic death sentence (most people wind up with mild or no noticeable symptoms), and that it's none of their business what the other person wears or doesn't wear. (Well, except for pants...)
You can get her a face shield which should be acceptable in lieu of a mask. But this mask thing isn't stopping soon so it might be a good idea if she spends a few minutes each day trying to get used to wearing one, sitting calmly at home. And try a few kinds. If she needs to go somewhere and doesn't have a face shield, they aren't likely going to have one to give to her but they might have a mask.

Many people do not get very sick or don't get sick at all. A lot of people end up hospitalized for weeks and then have what may be permanent heart lung, or neurological damage. And a lot of people die. Masks protect us from the asymptomatic person who unknowingly is spreading virus- they work best if that person is wearing a mask but they help even if that person is not wearing one. The recent science suggests that the more virus you get the sicker you get so even if 10% of that person's cough gets to you that's better than 100%.

I don't know anyone who likes wearing a mask. Ok, my grandkids thought it was fun for a few minutes. I make sure mine fit so that I can see the mask fabric raise and lower with my breath, and that means it isn't very comfortable in warmer weather. I carry more than one with me when I'm going somewhere because I don't reuse one once I take it off. Take it off put in the dirty mask bag or my pocket, clean my hands put a fresh one on if I go somewhere else. Fresh helps and being able to breathe without one in the interval alone helps, But all of it is better than getting sick and having trouble breathing or worse, giving it to someone who dies, such as my 91 year old mother.

I think we can travel safely but there are risks such as having the car break down (remember, the tow truck driver won't be allowed to take you anywhere) or getting sick away from home. Those are always difficult things but are a larger concern now.
Closed Thread