Covid work around (maybe) ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #1

Trailer: pending
Covid work around (maybe) ?

I just moved into the "I am getting an RV and full timing" stage of my long life but the universe has thrown us all a curve ball. I have yet to purchase my complete rig
Now let us get creative. I am a Canadian citizen with drivers license and home address. I have a daughter who lives in Ohio. I can not DRIVE across any border crossing, BUT I can FLY !
Anyone have any input on an idea to have my daughter buy the setup I want ( I will provide the cash), have it in her name, registration etc. and then ME driving it alone for 4 months doing the snowbird routine ? Interstate travel is allowed once I'm in. Fulltime RV'ing doesn't work in Canadian winters and I would hazard a guess that Vancouver island will sink from the influx of trapped snowbirds this winter.
Just an idea on how to circumvent being hobbled as we are right now.
"You are totally nuts " is also an acceptable comment with no offence taken
Dee Lirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
I have read of a number of people flying to the US to their condos for the winter, and have also read of some shipping their RV trailers to the US and meeting them there. Although in true Facebook style, I can't cite a specific source.

So I imagine what you are thinking is very doable.

You will probably want to follow the same protection measures in the USA as in Canada: masks, hand sanitizing, lots of hand washing, distancing, etc, even if not required by the local jurisdiction you are in.

And when you come back, you will need to follow whatever returning Canadian Citizens protocol is in place at the time.

Also make sure you check your out of country health insurance for COVID implications.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Lirious View Post
I just moved into the "I am getting an RV and full timing" stage of my long life but the universe has thrown us all a curve ball. I have yet to purchase my complete rig
Now let us get creative. I am a Canadian citizen with drivers license and home address. I have a daughter who lives in Ohio. I can not DRIVE across any border crossing, BUT I can FLY !
Anyone have any input on an idea to have my daughter buy the setup I want ( I will provide the cash), have it in her name, registration etc. and then ME driving it alone for 4 months doing the snowbird routine ? Interstate travel is allowed once I'm in. Fulltime RV'ing doesn't work in Canadian winters and I would hazard a guess that Vancouver island will sink from the influx of trapped snowbirds this winter.
Just an idea on how to circumvent being hobbled as we are right now.
"You are totally nuts " is also an acceptable comment with no offence taken
I read about a US person getting into Canada and traveling in his RV until being caught and fined heavily by the Canadian government. I’m not sure if the US has fines in place for Canadians trying to do the same thing. I have dual citizenship so technically I could cross the border as I have immediate family in BC. I haven’t done that and won’t until the border opens up, to me it’s just the wrong thing to do.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Unless you have an accident, doubtful your trailer registration would ever be asked for. What about your tow vehicle, will it be in her name? That could cause issues if ever stopped? What about warranty service on trailer if ever needed, it is in her name? Seems like a bag of worms.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
I read about a US person getting into Canada and traveling in his RV until being caught and fined heavily by the Canadian government. I’m not sure if the US has fines in place for Canadians trying to do the same thing. I have dual citizenship so technically I could cross the border as I have immediate family in BC. I haven’t done that and won’t until the border opens up, to me it’s just the wrong thing to do.
Canada is more hysterical than the US about travelling in the country. From many posts on this site, I see people are still RV'ing as before.
I have no wish to try and circumvent any laws, that never ends well no matter how smart you think you are ! My daughter is a family of four and it suddenly occurred to me that we could share a decent rig. I would boondock in the
a'la snowbird style and she could use it with her family in the summer. IF she owns it outright, insured for me as an extra driver it seems reasonable. Tourists BUY cars for long trips in the USA and it seems that having what can be used as a permanent address for insurance and vehicle registration is their hang up. So I guess the question boils down to, is there ant reason why I could not "borrow" my daughter's legally owned and insured/registered vehicle and trailer and travel WITHOUT her being present ? Not going into health insurance and other issues as they are standard "snowbird problems"
Old 10-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
One thing to consider - earlier in the pandemic many campgrounds and public facilities in the US were closed or heavily restricted. Although travel on the interstates was still possible, finding accommodations was challenging, as well as limitations on many activities. In the past couple of months things have opened up considerably. However, we set a record yesterday for the highest number of daily infections since the pandemic began, and things do not seem to be heading in a good direction. Depending on when you are considering heading down here, one possible risk would be that the pandemic worsens considerably this winter and many closures and restrictions are reimposed. No way to know what will happen, of course, but something worth considering.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
One thing to consider - earlier in the pandemic many campgrounds and public facilities in the US were closed or heavily restricted. Although travel on the interstates was still possible, finding accommodations was challenging, as well as limitations on many activities. In the past couple of months things have opened up considerably. However, we set a record yesterday for the highest number of daily infections since the pandemic began, and things do not seem to be heading in a good direction. Depending on when you are considering heading down here, one possible risk would be that the pandemic worsens considerably this winter and many closures and restrictions are reimposed. No way to know what will happen, of course, but something worth considering.
Well being pretty much locked up in the house right now in Toronto, I have plenty of time to bloviate. My original goal/dream is as much boondocking as possible. I owned a hunting and fishing lodge in Northern Ontario totally off grid for a few years, so the allure of being alone is strong. Unfortunately I was raised well by my parents and want to stay legal. I have even been looking into long term RV rentals of various camper vans. Not thrilled by that idea though. My general sense is that, although possibly an unconventional approach, it should be doable and legal. I guess the best thing is to contact Ohio DMV and see if they put the kibosh on my "brilliant" idea. No one has aver accused me of being normal
Old 10-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #8

Trailer: ?
From a blog I enjoy.
Travel with the Bayfield (Canada) Bunch.

Heard on the news the Canada/US border closure has been extended to November 21rst as expected. Today we received an interesting email from our RV Travel Insurance Company. *** ATTENTION ALL SNOWBIRDS ***Sanderson Travel Insurance now offers COVID-19 coverage for those clients wanting to travel to the USA this fall and winter. FYI...As a recommendation for you all, if you are wanting to still travel south this winter and are in need of bringing your vehicle or RV/Trailer with you, please get in touch with the company called "uscanadaautotransport" and they can arrange to have your vehicle delivered to your location door to door service. www.uscanadaautotransport.com
1-800-466-6935
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #9

If your daughter is the legal owner of the vehicle she will be responsible for insuring it in her name to meet Ohio requirements before she can register ‘your’ vehicle.
I would be very upfront with the insurance company so they were fully aware of the plan. You would not want to be in a major wreck and have the insurance company investigate insurance fraud.
One option would be to have you listed as an insured driver on the policy. That way the policy premium would properly reflect the risk.
Insurance laws vary significantly from state to state so this may, or may not, be a practice in Ohio.
Before I got too excited about this plan/scheme i would have daughter run it by her insurance company
Old 10-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
You should be fine. I can’t imagine any state (except perhaps California? I can imagine them doing all sorts of weird things!) giving you a hard time or imposing travel restrictions. As long as the rig is insured for highway travel, you should be good to go. Even repairs along the way shouldn’t pose difficulty; repair shops are more interesting in getting work and getting paid than worrying about who holds the title.
I'd still check with the state you plan to visit or stop in before making plans. For example, currently New Mexico state parks are closed to out-of-staters, and any stop in the state may require a 14 day quarantine, ie staying in your trailer. New York has similar requirements, depending on which state you are coming from.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #11

And again on the vehicle insurance question.

As the owner of record your daughter needs to be aware that in the case of a major claim in excess of the policy limits, the lawyers will be coming after her assets as well as yours.

She is exposing herself to considerable risk in a worse case scenario.

Plus since daughter is a US citizen with US assets and you are Canadian with Canadian assets, daughter will be the primary target. She represents the greatest likelihood of collecting on a judgement.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
And again on the vehicle insurance question.

As the owner of record your daughter needs to be aware that in the case of a major claim in excess of the policy limits, the lawyers will be coming after her assets as well as yours.

She is exposing herself to considerable risk in a worse case scenario.

Plus since daughter is a US citizen with US assets and you are Canadian with Canadian assets, daughter will be the primary target. She represents the greatest likelihood of collecting on a judgement.
Good point ! Would not want to cause my daughter financial harm. It seems that the insurance is, as usual the issue that slows us all down.
That is the beauty of this site and its well informed and helpful members, NOTHING is beyond the collective knowledge
Old 10-24-2020, 06:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Quote:
" . . . I would hazard a guess that Vancouver island will sink from the influx of trapped snowbirds this winter."
You're not far wrong, Dee Lirious! Trailer parks on the east, west, and south coasts of Vancouver Island are packed with Snowbirds who can't fly or drive south this year. Unless they're skiers who can make it to Mount Washington Alpine Resort, they're not going to be pleased if the forecast of a colder and wetter than average El Nino winter comes true. Island business owners are very happy to have the bonus revenue, though.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Good point ! Would not want to cause my daughter financial harm. It seems that the insurance is, as usual the issue that slows us all down.
That is the beauty of this site and its well informed and helpful members, NOTHING is beyond the collective knowledge
All is not lost.
Have your daughter call her agent and describe the vehicle/s and use you have in mind. Add you as an insured party. Liability coverage is the big issue. $300,000/$500,000 is a good base figure. Those figures should be sufficient for most injuries you might be responsible for. Get a ballpark quote.

Then ask what the premium would be on a $2,000,000 umbrella policy covering just your daughter. Premiums tend to be quite reasonable on umbrella policies because they only kick in when the underlying policy limits have been reached. This would cover your daughter against the unlikely, but possible, damages you might cause if found responsible for a major wreck. Think of an umbrella policy as worst case coverage.

Or to keep it simple. Buy in Canada and have the vehicle/s shipped to your daughters house. You fly down and go from there.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Liability coverage is the big issue. $300,000/$500,000 is a good base figure. Those figures should be sufficient for most injuries you might be responsible for.

I carry $3,000,000 ( three million ) in liability and I'm in Canada with healthcare. Three hundred thousand might take care of a paraplegic for a year, certainly not for life. Best not be your fault.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:43 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I agree with EdColorado. There should be a perfectly legal and smart way to do this. Don't listen to the pretend lawyers and naysayers. If we listened to them we be adorned in bubble wrap sitting in an over-insured reinforced concrete structure all day. No dogs of certain breeds, inground pools or trampolines for you sir! You should be able to be named as an additional driver on your daughter's policy and additional named insured on the trailer if needed. My father is named insured on my boat and it didn't even affect the premium. Get an umbrella policy if you feel it is needed. Make sure everything is and stays well maintained, drive safely and go have some fun. Life is short.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:55 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I agree with EdColorado. There should be a perfectly legal and smart way to do this. Don't listen to the pretend lawyers and naysayers. If we listened to them we be adorned in bubble wrap sitting in an over-insured reinforced concrete structure all day. No dogs of certain breeds, inground pools or trampolines for you sir! You should be able to be named as an additional driver on your daughter's policy and additional named insured on the trailer if needed. My father is named insured on my boat and it didn't even affect the premium. Get an umbrella policy if you feel it is needed. Make sure everything is and stays well maintained, drive safely and go have some fun. Life is short.
Hi: rubicon327... You forgot to mention wearing an aluminium foil hat!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #18

well until we know what happens in a few days, I have been looking around, lots of rigs from fiberglass but I haven't found one sheathed in Kevlar yet !
Old 11-01-2020, 10:18 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My dog is mostly all pit bull mix but the breed has been victimized by so much fake news whenever some dog friendly RV park, etc etc wants to know, I tell them she's a Lab mix.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #20

Trailer: 2005
need to wear masks
Velaro is offline   Reply With Quote