Daily diatribe - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I did a job in a dry county in Arkansas, and stayed in a wet county. At the county line was a beer store. There were 4 rows of beer in the store, and nothing else, save a small cooler in the corner that had malt liquor. The 4 rows covered all the beers - Coors, Coors Light, Bud, and Bud Light.

I'm happy I live in the PNW with all our fine brewers and brewpubs.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:42 AM   #42

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I know many Arkansasonians and others in the South who live in those “dry” counties. Funny thing is that if you take them out of the state they drink like professional fishes.

Imagine what happens when you take them to an all inclusive resort in a very quiet small town on the Baja Coast a thousand miles from home. Oh the stories........
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I need to go camping.
I definitely am not doing enough too, but I just got back yesterday from 4 days of camping at our land. There were only a few of us there, but it was a nice break from the long hard work days I am putting in all the time these days. Though I did take some time to wield the chainsaw and buck up a bunch of trees for firewood. My bother, his wife, son and girlfriend were out a day earlier and put in a full day with a wood splitter, and I am not real sad I missed that hard work.

I think I will take some time soon and hit a campground near home and do some hiking and adventuring. Of course there will be lots of cocktails after this.

Well, it is just about to hit 7am here, so I can now head outside and make lots of noise without going against local bylaws.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:13 AM   #44

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
I did a job in a dry county in Arkansas, and stayed in a wet county. At the county line was a beer store. There were 4 rows of beer in the store, and nothing else, save a small cooler in the corner that had malt liquor. The 4 rows covered all the beers - Coors, Coors Light, Bud, and Bud Light.

I'm happy I live in the PNW with all our fine brewers and brewpubs.
Several counties in my part of TX were dry way back. At election time the only people who voted dry were bootleggers and preachers.

There were more of them than the 'others'
Old 07-06-2020, 11:28 AM   #45

Trailer: 2012 E19
I will occasionally treat myself to a beer or a half-glass of wine, but it's not big deal. Water is my main drink day in & day out... well, except I prefer something sweet to drink when eating pizza. I do like tea sometimes. Coffee... eh, maybe one cup every blue moon.

We are just staying home almost all the time. Last week my wife and I made a run to WM; she wore a mask and I did not. The mask forces air up and my glasses direct it all into my eyes every time I exhale, and with my dry eyes it feels horrible. And my wife is worse off, the mask affects her breathing and by the time we were at checkout she was nauseous from it.

We don't like getting dirty looks from others, though, so I've entertained the idea of writing "I Can't Breathe" on two masks, and we could wear them down around our necks to get the point across... but nah. People need to just learn to mind their own business and not engage in 'public shaming' as if it were a virtue.

Remote grocery shopping sounds a little weird. I'm too concerned that they will substitute brands we don't like, and being able to see the products & prices and pick what we want is worth something to us. Besides, other than a walk around the neighborhood, shopping and church are about the only excuses to go out anymore.

Hopefully work will start up again this fall. At times I feel a bit like one of those croquet balls that got swatted out into a ditch. Hand me a mallet....
Old 07-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Ah, bootleggers n preachers. Out here it’s now Realtors that outnumber everyone. Fortunately, most of them enjoy cocktails.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
she wore a mask and I did not. The mask forces air up and my glasses direct it all into my eyes every time I exhale, and with my dry eyes it feels horrible.
On the other hand a lot of us who wear glasses also manage to wear a mask. Find one that fits better. A lot of folks seem to have a problem maintaining a social distance especially at places like Walmart. Some make me uncomfortable and I loose my polite Canadian ways.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:00 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Some make me uncomfortable and I loose my polite Canadian ways.

Ron
And now my mean Canadian ways come out. You have one too many O's in lose. [emoji16]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just take my glasses off when wearing a mask....
Old 07-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #50

Trailer: NA
This is a perfect reason why masks are not to be depended on to provide protection from viruses. If your hot breath steams up your glasses then the mask is not effectively blocking the virus in either direction. Please try to stay out of crowded or confined spaces and maintain separation from others. We can hope that the latest trend holds true that the virus is no longer as deadly as at first and we can ride out the infection waves.
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #51

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I know many Arkansasonians and others in the South who live in those “dry” counties. Funny thing is that if you take them out of the state they drink like professional fishes.
Ocean City, NJ is a small shore town that has been "dry" since its founding in 1879. In 2017 a USA Today study ranked it as NJ's "drunkest city"

https://www.phillyvoice.com/historic...e-not-pleased/
Old 07-06-2020, 02:28 PM   #52

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
I agree with TX_Clint that the best approach is keeping your distance.

When that's not possible or when indoors, I think a mask is an extremely good idea, and it is rightly becoming mandatory in more and more jurisdictions.

It is not perfect, but it is much better than no mask at all. Unless you get suited up in PPE, and please let's leave all that expensive kit, including N95 masks, for the front-line workers, the primary purpose of a mask is to minimize the chance of you spreading the disease to others, not them spreading it to you.

Here's the CDC article on protection: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...revention.html

Mask it or casket.

Thanks for listening, and I will now stop with my $0.02 on this topic. :-)
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Santa Rosa County, Florida was "semi-dry"; that is you could buy beer and wine but not hard liquor until 2006. In that year the county voted to go fully "wet". A limited number of liquor licenses were allocated via lottery. My dad entered the lottery but didn't win one. Also, alcohol sales were prohibited on Sunday until a few years ago.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
And now my mean Canadian ways come out. You have one too many O's in lose. [emoji16]
That's just me playing fast and loose with the language, again.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #55

I have not had a reason yet to wear a mask or use sterilizing creme. The stores I have been in see very few with masks, and many uses improperly anyway.

Tests a week ago show we are clear. I feel great too.

If I was asked to wear one though, I would.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:14 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That's just me playing fast and loose with the language, again.

Ron
Yeah, I am not really one who should do corrections, as I have made lots and lots of mistakes where I knew better too. Usually from swype typing or voice to text input. I have big fingers and talk funny. [emoji16]
Old 07-06-2020, 03:15 PM   #57

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Santa Rosa County, Florida was "semi-dry"; that is you could buy beer and wine but not hard liquor until 2006. In that year the county voted to go fully "wet". A limited number of liquor licenses were allocated via lottery. My dad entered the lottery but didn't win one. Also, alcohol sales were prohibited on Sunday until a few years ago.
I remember taking the train from Montreal to Toronto when Sunday laws in ON meant you had to buy food along with alcohol. We'd get the heavy drinking done whilst still in Quebec
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I remember taking the train from Montreal to Toronto when Sunday laws in ON meant you had to buy food along with alcohol. We'd get the heavy drinking done whilst still in Quebec
Hi: emers382... Here I thought you were "A man of the cloth"? I drink light beer so no "Heavy" drinking!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #59

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yeah, I am not really one who should do corrections, as I have made lots and lots of mistakes where I knew better too. Usually from swype typing or voice to text input. I have big fingers and talk funny. [emoji16]

I've noticed "loose" for "lose" in many posts by many posters. Figured it was a swype issue or similar.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
After dark, have to be just as careful. One dark night, plan was to be utilizing a couple cans of Pabst. I was out there waiting for the pizza delivery guy to show up. He nearly ran me over.
Attached Thumbnails
mask001A.jpg   moonpizza.jpg