Daily diatribe - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Daily diatribe

I need to go camping. Took the horse out to run and keep the battery charged and stopped at local Subway for tv advertised $10 for 2 $5 footlong subs. The store was closed, due to the pandemic. Tried calling the next closest Subway, "this mailbox is full" was their message. Drove another 4 minutes to that Subway, open. Good. walked in and saw and there were 5 employees all standing around goofing off.I was the only customer in the store. I said "You mail box is full, you need to empty because no messages can be left" and went to order the special on TV. I ordered 2 subs, one tuna and one veggie delight, I asked how much. I was told $16?? What about the special? We do not do that here. I said well, I do not shop here either, good luck all of you finding work as you will be unemployed by the looks here. I walked out, came home and took out a frozen pizza......drinking a beer, life is good.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We have been to a restaurant and tried to use a gift card with the restaurant's name on the card and was told “we don’t accept that here”. When I challenged them they referred to the fine print saying it’s only accepted at restaurants in a specific ownership group. Mind you this is a regional chain. Needless to say, we haven’t been back.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I do not have enough energy to air all of the B.S that is going on these days. However, staying positive, we’ve been ordering groceries on the phone. The store we’ve been dealing with is in the county seat about 20 miles from our house. My wife calls her contact, who takes the order, hangs up, assembles the order and calls back usually in less than 30 minutes. She gives us the total and we write a check. I pin the check to one of three clean cardboard boxes in the Highlander, drive down, call the store and they put the groceries in the boxes and in my insulated bag and take the check. Could not be much easier. They wear masks, are pleasant and efficient. This used to be normal ( pleasant, efficient, careful caring people) . I’m not liking the new normal so well. Lazy, don’t care, don’t honor the ad, not our owner group B.S. we all encounter every day. That said I have to go out and drop my mower down an inch ( I usually mow at 3 3/4) and mow out a patch for a croquet course for this weekend. Midwest croquet, we don’t play for the wickets we play to hit your ball so we can railroad your butt into the prairie.
But we’re nice about it.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-03-2020, 08:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I try to keep busy, messing with trailer issues. The fuses, the fridge, the… well, being rational, I see them now not as a curse but as a blessing – something to distract my irritated mind and keep me from colliding with collusion, criminality and conspiracies that subvert but confirm the obvious consensus.

We gotta get outta this place, if it’s the last thing we ever do. (And it might.) November can’t come soon enough for me. To that end I even bought a generator, justified, I suspect, mainly because I need another distracting toy.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I try to keep busy, messing with trailer issuel, I see them now not as a curse but as a blessing – something to distract my irritated mind and keep me from colliding with collusion, criminality and conspiracies that subvert and confirm the obvious consensus.

We gotta get outta this place, if it’s the best thing we ever do. November can’t come soon enough for me. To that end I even bought a generator, justified, I suspect, mainly because I need another distracting toy.
I know the feeling , I spent yesterday applying the 4th coat of wax this year to our Escape , cleaned and waxed the wheel wells & tire rims and torqued the lug nuts

PS ; Intentionally or Unintentionally you left out “ STUPID “
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Because I am too afraid of the political police.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
We in Canada have been fairly lucky so far, but like our US friends I'm seeing signs of "enough of this, let's party", so will look anxiously to two weeks after our July 1 holiday. Some of our major cities (e.g., Toronto) have instituted mandatory masks if you're going inside anywhere, and hopefully the majority of the people will start to share the "Mask it or casket" mantra.

We've tried to continue supporting our local businesses during our stay-at-home-as-much-as-possible-except-for-biweekly-groceries-and-booze era, and many of the service workers there have gone to extraordinary lengths to protect themselves and their customers. I hope your unfortunate Subway experience is an exception.

All the best for July 4. I hope everyone stays safe.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I do not have enough energy to air all of the B.S that is going on these days. However, staying positive, we’ve been ordering groceries on the phone. The store we’ve been dealing with is in the county seat about 20 miles from our house. My wife calls her contact, who takes the order, hangs up, assembles the order and calls back usually in less than 30 minutes. She gives us the total and we write a check. I pin the check to one of three clean cardboard boxes in the Highlander, drive down, call the store and they put the groceries in the boxes and in my insulated bag and take the check. Could not be much easier. They wear masks, are pleasant and efficient. This used to be normal ( pleasant, efficient, careful caring people) . I’m not liking the new normal so well. Lazy, don’t care, don’t honor the ad, not our owner group B.S. we all encounter every day. That said I have to go out and drop my mower down an inch ( I usually mow at 3 3/4) and mow out a patch for a croquet course for this weekend. Midwest croquet, we don’t play for the wickets we play to hit your ball so we can railroad your butt into the prairie.
But we’re nice about it.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... I prefer my "Croquet" breaded and deep fried!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I could see that if I was a beaver.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
drinking a beer, life is good.

You're making me thirsty. Even the early rule says I have to wait till 11 am (Covid rules). It used to be much later but these are trying times.

I will join you vicariously in a few hours. Until then enjoy your pizza!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
keep me from colliding with collusion, criminality and conspiracies that subvert but confirm the obvious consensus.

What's another word for thesaurus?
Old 07-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #12

Here are a few.
Attached Thumbnails
synoyms.jpg  
Old 07-03-2020, 12:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I need to go camping. Took the horse out to run and keep the battery charged and stopped at local Subway for tv advertised $10 for 2 $5 footlong subs. The store was closed, due to the pandemic. Tried calling the next closest Subway, "this mailbox is full" was their message. Drove another 4 minutes to that Subway, open. Good.
Man, 3 Subways within a few minutes drive, the cradle of civilization as we know it. Not nearly as many here.

We've been caught a few times with the fine print on coupons. Doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth, so to speak.

One gripe that I have with many Subways is that they don't have any coffee and if I'm making miles I need coffee so sometimes I give them a pass. I need my coffee.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #14

I give Tim Horton's a pass because they serve "coffee".
Old 07-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #15

Why don't you just jump into your world class trailer and brew up a fresh pot?
Old 07-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Why don't you just jump into your world class trailer and brew up a fresh pot?
Or easier still buy a large thermos bottle and fill it with coffee
I know in my case I need to stop for a bathroom break long before I run out of coffee in the thermos
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #17

And of course, there is a clean bathroom in the trailer.

I have a thimble blatter.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I give Tim Horton's a pass because they serve "coffee".
Hey, you can insult my ancestry but don't insult my favorite coffee place.

Of course some might say that any coffee that has to be ordered "double-double" is a little suspect. Still, give me my bacon club and a chocolate chip muffin and I'm a happy camper.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
One gripe that I have with many Subways is that they don't have any coffee and if I'm making miles I need coffee so sometimes I give them a pass. I need my coffee. Ron
Not in our case Ron, our closest Subway is 25 minutes away and one section of the restaurant is a coffee shop with nice deserts too. I've never had a sandwich there but coffee and sweets, YES.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #20

Stopped at that Tim's just east of Abbottsford, I'm sure you know the one Ron. Buddy and I got coffees in our thermal cups. By the time we reached Abbotsford ( ten minutes ), it tasted like battery acid. Last time for me.