Dilemma... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Believe me, the one day deposit is not an issue, if we both or one of us gets ill and needs hospitalization while on the road can cause a lot of issues, one of which is having to return to our home base for both the animals we take and leave. The other is shut down of facilities, such as gas and other public use entities. There is a whole myriad of issues, losing a deposit is the least of which....
Old 02-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Issues

Jim
x2
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Jim x 3

Jim, I sympathize with your situation. If you don't want to reserve a site now I'm sure there will be cancellations at the last minute. One might even be us! However at this point we plan to be in Osoyoos, then a wedding in CA, then on the way back to Kansas where our daughter and family are moving I've just booked four nights at Grand Canyon - so far any fears are not stopping people booking there - were only two sites left at Mather campground.

Hopefully all will be well and we'll see you both at the rally.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape
I understand that for various health reasons the OP might not make the trip. But the issue he stated was that he’d like to make a reservation right now but he’s hesitating. Why hesitate unless you don’t want to lose the fee?

Make the reservation. All you can lose is a few bucks.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #25

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I share your concerns. I have a suppressed autoimmune system and if I catch it, it could kill me. BUT, I am not going to be a prisoner of 'what ifs,' prefer to plan and then adapt as necessary. So, I'd go ahead an plan as if this doesn't exist. It may not by time you want to travel... and if it doesn't you can adapt to whatever your needs are.

Be well, be safe. Practice safety protocols and good hygiene.
Good advice Donna! I too, have a compromised immune system. We all just need to be very very careful, and practice excellent hygiene.
CPA, I’m still going to try to stay on the edges of a large crowd however, and maintain a careful distance between a Stranger and me. Caution prevails, but this virus won’t keep me chained to the house!
- I hope you guys can find a solution you’re comfortable with.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:00 PM   #26
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
Please don't buy masks! The general public will not benefit from them, and may in fact increase their risk of infection due to improper use. There is a huge mask shortage, thanks to general public panic. So much so that we medical professionals on the front lines are having trouble getting them. By the way: I'm not the only one saying this, so is the US Surgeon General.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #27
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I just spoke with my brother (in Japan) yesterday. He reminded me about the upcoming Olympics in Tokyo in a few months and that they are extremely nervous with this virus situation. Japan has poured so much (Yen) into the Olympics - they have a lot to lose if plans change so no wonder they've closed ALL their schools for a month to try and contain it. Just hope and pray it doesn't affect the Olympics for everyone's sake...especially the athletes who work so hard for it.

For us, we've made our camping plans for this year... and we're crossing our fingers, for the best. We wish you all the same! - The Bea Team
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #28

I don’t think buying masks is a problem on the local level because they are pretty scarce here if they have N95 anywhere on the package. I was out
Today at a local big box home store and the mask display was picked clean. Regardless of the specification. At the Walmart the cleaning supplies, paper towels and lots of other products had been worked over pretty good. At the grocery store I bought
Some spaghetti. It was a dollar a box, I bought 5. The young lady checking out asked me if I was stocking up for the pandemic. Less than a minute later the kid pushing my cart to the car noted I had a fair amount of
Groceries. I told him I was stocking up in case the World Health Organization declared a pandemic. “What’s that? He asked. Another anecdotal afternoon by:
Iowa Dave
Old 02-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #29

No, he was a good looking 16 year old or so lad who was polite, conscientious and careful as he handled my bread, glass jelly jars and bananas. And never broke a stick of spaghetti.
Reminded me of me when I was but a Yute. Cept I was a little better looking and bigger.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-29-2020, 10:57 PM   #30

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Were you so afraid of dying from the "regular" flu in 2017/'18 that you hid in the basement all year??

(snip)

Don't let you fears cripple your life.
Take the normal flu season safety procedures then get on with it.

Exactly!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Dave, you are a trip. I love your outlook on life. Hope to see you at the Niagara rally. Happy Sunday.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Believe me, the one day deposit is not an issue, if we both or one of us gets ill and needs hospitalization while on the road can cause a lot of issues, one of which is having to return to our home base for both the animals we take and leave. The other is shut down of facilities, such as gas and other public use entities. There is a whole myriad of issues, losing a deposit is the least of which....

I completely agree with this point. Many of the problems come from complications to the original event. Being sick on the road sucks!!! Not knowing what is going to happen from one day to the next is even worse. All I can think of is; I want to be home!

By April we will have a lot more information on this. We will have data on most communities in the U.S. and should be able to evaluate this with greater clarity as we go. If this starts to look anything like a pandemic, you will have no problem finding a spot at the rally. The only real concern is; will this turn into something we have never seen before and are not prepared to deal with. By that time travel restrictions may be in place anyway.

I think I will have a good read on this by May, probably sooner. If necessary I will go pick up the new trailer and slam right back home and only dry camp along the way (alone). Kinda doubt that, but let's see what the next few weeks look like.

We'll know a lot more soon. The data flow is definitely picking up now.

All the best to you and your wife Jim. I do want to meet you but your health and logistical concerns outweigh all of that. Fingers crossed, always optimistic!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I, too, feel apprehensive about what lies ahead. We just don't know. And I share other's lack of confidence in the administration's ability to manage what yet may come. From what I understand, the US, where I live, has been woefully unprepared for years despite what scientific and medical experts have been warning about. As for Canada, I don't know about its preparedness. As for the situation you and your wife face, Jim, why not choose to skip this year's rally and feel good about it? Nothing wrong with sitting this one out for the health of your wife. IMO you just might sleep easier if you decide early not to go. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
But, you don't have to make up your mind yet.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:07 AM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19', 2009 Casita 17'
It's worth noting that many airlines are currently offering special cancellation deals on fares -- United said that they'd cancel flights for no fee when I was looking into a flight last week. I would ask anyone I reserved with what the cancellation policies are in light of the current situation.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Our plans have changed as well.

We will be there, but will not be attending any of the group eating or other events due to my wife’s compromised immune system. That type of thing is risky at best for her anytime.

Our trailer unfortunately will not be open for tours. However we will be happy to show our exterior modifications...just no close talkers please.

I think if everyone respects personal air space and don’t touch everything, there should be no problems. What your mom told you as a kid...just look, don’t touch.

I can have the same conversation with a person 6 ft away, as I could before at 2 ft.

It would not surprise me if Escape is looking closely at not having some of the group events this year.

Hope to see you all there.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I had my fill of pot luck dinners as a preacher's kid.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #38

Don’t know how this is all going to pan out but I do know that I was questioned on my choice of words earlier in a post when I called this virus an “Impending Pandemic.” The designation by the World Health Organization today will now save me having to type impending. Personally, we have stocked up on food, water, vegetable seeds, rifle cartridges and other essentials and are ready for the long haul if necessary. I’m glad we taught a lot of kids including our own emergency preparedness from the Boy Scout merit badge book and our own personal experiences. Having the Escape is reassuring too.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-11-2020, 02:52 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 E21
Jim,

Sorry for your troubles. Vella and I hope all goes well for Noelia.

By way of suggestions, it may be useful for you to parse the issues and then consider them separately. For example, you say that the current virus situation prohibits long distance travel. Presumably, travel by air just now would be contraindicated for Noelia. But would the same be true for traveling by road in your own rig? Would shorter, but more numerous legs make the trip easier on her? And is the trip mainly to see Noelia's sibling? If so, then perhaps you could commit to that and evaluate later whether the side trip to Osoyoos would be prudent. Obviously, you'd need to risk losing the reservation deposit if you decide later to skip Osoyoos, but that's small change in the larger scheme of things. And is the sibling's condition such that time is of the essence or could a visit be safely deferred? Hope there's something useful in all that.

Good luck.

Glenn
Old 03-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thanks Glenn & Vella,
After watching the cruise ship fiasco and their inability to return home, what would happen if we both get sick while traveling? Hospitalization and isolation/quarantine, what happens to our dogs we travel with? Meanwhile the 4 cats at home that someone takes care of, what if that person needs attention? There needs to be a support backup that is fragile at best. A 2 week trip can easily turn into a 6 week absence....I think driveway camping will become more popular.