Dilemma... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2020, 05:42 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Thanks Glenn & Vella,
After watching the cruise ship fiasco and their inability to return home, what would happen if we both get sick while traveling? Hospitalization and isolation/quarantine, what happens to our dogs we travel with? Meanwhile the 4 cats at home that someone takes care of, what if that person needs attention? There needs to be a support backup that is fragile at best. A 2 week trip can easily turn into a 6 week absence....I think driveway camping will become more popular.
I’m currently snow birding in AZ scheduled to return to the Seattle area on 4/4. With all the new safety restrictions that just announced today for that area I’m seriously reconsidering and staying in AZ for a while. I don’t have any underlying health issues but my age is putting me in a higher risk group. My daughter and grandson live with me so that is another concern I have on what they can bring into the house. I’m thinking some nice BLM land is looking really good for the next month or so.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:02 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You maybe better off away from civilization, at least in that area....
Old 03-11-2020, 06:24 PM   #43

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
At this point, it would pretty much take an RV Park ban to keep us from traveling this year. (We've been grounded for too long) I think with being in our own accommodations, able to carry a good supply of disinfectant wipes( etc ), rubbing alcohol ( and wine ) we'll be safe. The Coronavirus ( COVID 19 ) is reportedly sensitive, even washing ones hands with normal soap and water for 20 seconds kills it. We hope they don't have to cancel the rally. But we may avoid the potluck or large meal gatherings - depending on how things develop. Wolf is considered immune suppressed.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:38 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
We hope they don't have to cancel the rally. But we may avoid the potluck or large meal gatherings - depending on how things develop. Wolf is considered immune suppressed.

Maybe all us immune suppressed and those with COPD etc. can have our own gathering. Second thought, that would be the pot luck dinner.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Just talked to my son. He says no fans at the NCAA Basketball tourney this year. He called it March Sadness.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #46

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Maybe all us immune suppressed and those with COPD etc. can have our own gathering. Second thought, that would be the pot luck dinner.
LOL ....yes we'll all place our chair 6 ft apart ....
Old 03-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If it’s a cool night it’s going to take a campfire that can be seen from outer space to keep everyone toasty.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Thanks Glenn & Vella,
After watching the cruise ship fiasco and their inability to return home, what would happen if we both get sick while traveling? Hospitalization and isolation/quarantine, what happens to our dogs we travel with? Meanwhile the 4 cats at home that someone takes care of, what if that person needs attention? There needs to be a support backup that is fragile at best. A 2 week trip can easily turn into a 6 week absence....I think driveway camping will become more popular.
Sounds like you've got the risks well identified. "I think driveway camping will become more popular." Maybe not more popular; but probably more common this summer. Hope things work out for you two (or is that eight?).
Old 03-11-2020, 09:45 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I liked the analogy given today by someone who said flu deaths are considered like car wrecks by the media while coronavirus deaths are like a plane crash. I was getting gas at La Quinta Costco yesterday and the guy behind me told me the line in the store went to all the way back to the meat dept. I think this mentality is sad, or worse gross. Glad I only needed fuel. Lemming mentality.

At Anza Borrego and there are spots available in the Palm Canyon campground. Even still, we're boondocking as it is permitted here- the largest S.P. in CA; second largest in lower 48- and not because we're afraid to interact with people.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:03 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I liked the analogy given today by someone who said flu deaths are considered like car wrecks by the media while coronavirus deaths are like a plane crash. I was getting gas at La Quinta Costco yesterday and the guy behind me told me the line in the store went to all the way back to the meat dept. I think this mentality is sad, or worse gross. Glad I only needed fuel. Lemming mentality.

At Anza Borrego and there are spots available in the Palm Canyon campground. Even still, we're boondocking as it is permitted here- the largest S.P. in CA; second largest in lower 48- and not because we're afraid to interact with people.
The c virus per the experts is also 10x deadlier then the flu so I’m also taking extra steps to keep my self safe. I want to be camping for many more years.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:41 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
If you're in northern California and want to be isolated, go to the BLM's Mattole campground in the King Range National Conservation Area. I was there a week or so ago, and it is the most isolated campground I've ever visited. Access is by a scary (to me, a Floridian) mountain road from Ferndale to the north.

Mattole is a campground along California's Lost Coast, and it would be a nice place in the summer. I stayed for only two nights because it was too cold and windy, and yes-- too isolated even for me, for whom "social distancing" is a lifestyle.

After leaving my current site in the Portland area I had originally planned to make my way toward Seattle. But instead now I think I'll head east to Hell's Canyon again, the second-most isolated campground I've ever visited. I might need snow chains though. (I wonder what those look like?)
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:22 PM   #52

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
mike, I've always wanted to go to the lost coast. maybe this summer!

I'm just back from 5 weeks camping in az and a couple weeks with my son's family in san diego. i think i'll hunker down here at home, at the end of the dead end road, with pantry and deep freeze well-stocked.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:24 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
If you're in northern California and want to be isolated, go to the BLM's Mattole campground in the King Range National Conservation Area. I was there a week or so ago, and it is the most isolated campground I've ever visited. Access is by a scary (to me, a Floridian) mountain road from Ferndale to the north.

Mattole is a campground along California's Lost Coast, and it would be a nice place in the summer. I stayed for only two nights because it was too cold and windy, and yes-- too isolated even for me, for whom "social distancing" is a lifestyle.

After leaving my current site in the Portland area I had originally planned to make my way toward Seattle. But instead now I think I'll head east to Hell's Canyon again, the second-most isolated campground I've ever visited. I might need snow chains though. (I wonder what those look like?)
Hummm I was thinking more like Quartzite, far away from people and close enough to stuff you will eventually need.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:14 AM   #54

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
The c virus per the experts is also 10x deadlier then the flu so I’m also taking extra steps to keep my self safe. I want to be camping for many more years.
My youngest is a RN and yes this really can’t be compared to flu . It is 10 times worst . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:02 AM   #55

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
My youngest is a RN and yes this really can’t be compared to flu . It is 10 times worst . Pat
Exactly, mortality with flu is about 0.1%, this new virus is 2 to 3 % and could go higher depending on level of health care available. If number of cases peak, and hospital beds are filled, ICU's filled, medical staff become ill the mortality rate could be much much higher.

We are only seeing the tip of the iceberg in North America now. With the limited testing done we have no idea how many infectious people are around. It may get very bad very quickly. This could be very bad for older folks with underlying health issues.

I have camping plans too but waiting to see how this plays out, I hope it isn't as bad as it appears it will be.

Take care, Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I got an E-Mail yesterday evening from a State Park system ( Can’t find the E-mail so can’t tell you which state ) encouraging me to make my camping reservations now and assuring me that if they close the parks due to the coronavirus they will refund my camping and reservation fees .
I guess if money was my only concern this would be reassuring news but somehow it only makes me more apprehensive.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
mike, I've always wanted to go to the lost coast. maybe this summer!

If you go, be sure to take the road that goes southwest from Ferndale to Petrolia. It is a scary mountain road but, as the girl at the store in Petrolia assured me, "the potholes are patched and there is a center stripe all the way". Do not go west from Humboldt Redwood Park or come in from the southeast on the mountain road from Garberville, as I did. Both of those roads are not recommended for trailers, as I found out after the fact. I beat the heck out of my poor trailer but it came through like a champ.
Attached Thumbnails
20200302_lost_coast.jpg   20200303_mattole_campsite.jpg  
Old 03-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #58

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I got an E-Mail yesterday evening from a State Park system ( Can’t find the E-mail so can’t tell you which state ) encouraging me to make my camping reservations now and assuring me that if they close the parks due to the coronavirus they will refund my camping and reservation fees .
I guess if money was my only concern this would be reassuring news but somehow it only makes me more apprehensive.
I could see them closing the restrooms. State parks aren't really a likely area to spread viruses if you aren't using public facilities. But it could happen, I've wondered if it will here in Washington.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Mike, that looks awesome. We were at the Manchester/Mendocino coast area with our Scamp 13 many years ago and loved it, but it was in July. I remember saying, bet this would be cold in the winter with the wind coming off the ocean,
Thanks for the post and bringing back the memories of our stay in the area.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #60

More photos. The Ferndale - Petrolia road runs along the coast for a few miles, but the northern part consists of switchbacks up and down mountains. On a level stretch I saw a mountain in the distance that had a road zigzagging up it. I bet that's my road, I thought. It was. I really wish I had taken a photo of the road going up the mountain.
Attached Thumbnails
20200303_lost_coast_road.jpg   20200303_lost_coast_horses.jpg