Discussion thread on camping out west from photo website - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2020, 09:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Discussion thread on camping out west from photo website

The large format photography form (largeformatphotography.info) has a thread talking about camping during the pandemic. I thought you might find it interesting:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...western-states
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:18 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Am I the only person who sees the fallacy in the attached thread Mike posted? The person just came back from Europe and must quarantine for 2 weeks. So they are going to take a road trip and travel? Quarantine means stay in one place, not travel around the country and spread any possible contamination?
Old 07-16-2020, 08:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Am I the only person who sees the fallacy in the attached thread Mike posted? The person just came back from Europe and must quarantine for 2 weeks. So they are going to take a road trip and travel? Quarantine means stay in one place, not travel around the country and spread any possible contamination?
It’s a prime example of the people who believe that the sun rises and sets on them or who are too stupid to read , understand and follow directions .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Which, unfortunately is a large percentage of the population in the United States. You think it’s bad now? Wait till they mandate going back to school without restrictions and all proper preparations. What about a 55 year old teacher with a compromised immune system who’s taught for 30 years, is ordered to go back this fall, gets sick and dies? Ordering them to teach or loose retirement benefits ( not talking pension here) is just a thinly veiled death sentence. School boards should be held criminally responsible. See if that doesn’t change their thinking. Not sorry for my opinion. I can express it without killing someone I’ve never met.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Which, unfortunately is a large percentage of the population in the United States. You think it’s bad now? Wait till they mandate going back to school without restrictions and all proper preparations. What about a 55 year old teacher with a compromised immune system who’s taught for 30 years, is ordered to go back this fall, gets sick and dies? Ordering them to teach or loose retirement benefits ( not talking pension here) is just a thinly veiled death sentence. School boards should be held criminally responsible. See if that doesn’t change their thinking. Not sorry for my opinion. I can express it without killing someone I’ve never met.
Iowa Dave
Totally agree having a daughter who is a out of work right now teacher . Grandchildren who might be forced to go back to school . What are these people thinking ? God help us ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #6

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
And some countries are taking Covid-19 seriously.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...rges-1.5648703
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #7

Trailer: 2012 E19
Yeah, how dare these people try to go on living their lives? How thoughtless!

Hmmm. Social distancing and mask wearing isn't enough? One must also lock oneself in one's house and not go anywhere? Does driving in the car endanger bystanders? Does it endanger other campers if the person walks over to a drop slot, puts his camping fee in an envelope and deposits it?

No doubt one can conjure up some scenarios wherein a person going camping might be necessitated to engage with other humans. But the same hold true if the people stay home; they may have a medical emergency, or meet a pizza deliverer at the door, or (God forbid) go to the store for groceries.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Alright, let's get off this tangent and get back to large format photography.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #9
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
And some countries are taking Covid-19 seriously.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...rges-1.5648703
Sadly ... the CBC is a taxpayer funded ($1.5Billion/year) communication source for the Canadian federal government.

Even sadder is the fact that many of the "leaders" on both sides of the border have ignored directions regarding masks and travel - yet sing the "do as I say not as I do" directive.

Canadians have our own list of leaders who have been doing just that.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
Sadly ... the CBC is a taxpayer funded ($1.5Billion/year) communication source for the Canadian federal government.

Which is why the current lead story on CBC radio and TV is about Prime Minister Trudeau and a conflict of interest involving the WE charity paying his relatives over $300,000 for speaking engagements.
And, it's been the lead story for almost a week.

CBC is a highly respected news source.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I find the CBC and the BBC to be two very reliable news sources unlike many US news sources who profit from broadcasting opinion as actual fact .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It never was about large format photography. I was a link to a thread about travelling during the pandemic on photography site.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Click image for larger version

Name:	US Canada Covid 19 2020-07-07.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	48714

Number of coronavirus cases as of July 7, 2020.
And it's worse in the United States now.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I'm one of those people who lives in a small town in the western US where lots of people visit from other areas. The influx of folks has been most pronounced this summer. This is a free country, people should be able to go where they want, and if they do the social distancing thing and wear masks, there shouldn't be a problem. But the problem is, they don't. At least not all of them. And they also don't seem to be sensitive about the effects their influx has on the people who live where they go.

For example, I live on a dirt road that leads over to the Snake River in scenic Hells Canyon. The traffic on this road has been unbelievable this summer. The proliferation of beer cans and other trash tossed out the windows of these vehicles has been off the scale. Just last evening, I took my dogs out for a walk, and two rigs came at us going close to 40 mph (speed limit is 20), billowing a cloud of dust behind them, with out-of-state plates. I had to grab my dogs to keep them from getting hit, and as the second rig passed and coated me with dust, I hollered "Slow down!". In response, two of the occupants flipped me off. I'm a 57-year old woman walking my dogs alone on a rural road in front of my house, and these people not only couldn't be bothered to slow down when they saw me, they almost hit my dogs, they blasted me with dust, and then they flipped me off when I asked them to slow down. Nice.

Phew. Normally I welcome visitors to this area as they tend to be adventurous types who want to get off the beaten path, and it's nice to have these folks in the community, spending money and helping the local economy. Unfortunately, this summer it seems different. Lots of people venturing into the out-of-doors with little experience and lacking normal camping etiquette most of us here have come to expect. This is still no excuse for what I experienced last night, those were just nasty folks. Sigh. One of those intangibles associated with COVID19 I guess, lots of people out and about, and some not so nice. And one reason the locals may be a little prickly this summer!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I'm one of those people who lives in a small town in the western US where lots of people visit from other areas. The influx of folks has been most pronounced this summer. This is a free country, people should be able to go where they want, and if they do the social distancing thing and wear masks, there shouldn't be a problem. But the problem is, they don't. At least not all of them. And they also don't seem to be sensitive about the effects their influx has on the people who live where they go.

For example, I live on a dirt road that leads over to the Snake River in scenic Hells Canyon. The traffic on this road has been unbelievable this summer. The proliferation of beer cans and other trash tossed out the windows of these vehicles has been off the scale. Just last evening, I took my dogs out for a walk, and two rigs came at us going close to 40 mph (speed limit is 20), billowing a cloud of dust behind them, with out-of-state plates. I had to grab my dogs to keep them from getting hit, and as the second rig passed and coated me with dust, I hollered "Slow down!". In response, two of the occupants flipped me off. I'm a 57-year old woman walking my dogs alone on a rural road in front of my house, and these people not only couldn't be bothered to slow down when they saw me, they almost hit my dogs, they blasted me with dust, and then they flipped me off when I asked them to slow down. Nice.

Phew. Normally I welcome visitors to this area as they tend to be adventurous types who want to get off the beaten path, and it's nice to have these folks in the community, spending money and helping the local economy. Unfortunately, this summer it seems different. Lots of people venturing into the out-of-doors with little experience and lacking normal camping etiquette most of us here have come to expect. This is still no excuse for what I experienced last night, those were just nasty folks. Sigh. One of those intangibles associated with COVID19 I guess, lots of people out and about, and some not so nice. And one reason the locals may be a little prickly this summer!
You need to do what my brother did. He lives on a sand road on Nantucket Island with a 15MPH speed limit. After too many close calls to both him, his neighbors & their animals, they allowed the road to deteriorate to huge potholes and added speed bumps that slow down almost everyone. There are still idiots in Jeeps & SUVs that want to prove their suspension can deal with the roads, but it helped.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Attachment 48714

Number of coronavirus cases as of July 7, 2020.
And it's worse in the United States now.
This map really illustrates a lot! Expect that solid red to expand west into many of the redless areas, my state just hit a record high in new cases yesterday.

Stay safe down there in Florida...
Old 07-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
You need to do what my brother did. He lives on a sand road on Nantucket Island with a 15MPH speed limit. After too many close calls to both him, his neighbors & their animals, they allowed the road to deteriorate to huge potholes and added speed bumps that slow down almost everyone. There are still idiots in Jeeps & SUVs that want to prove their suspension can deal with the roads, but it helped.
Unfortunately the local highway district gets federal recreation dollars to maintain it in a good condition, so it gets graded all the time. I agree with you though! One thing I've thought about, after traveling in rural Mexico in past years, is I could always make my own topes, or speed bumps, out of thick, knotted rope. I'd probably get shot at if I did that though
Old 07-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #18

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
The world has decided that you are one of these.

** Blue People who don’t see any other color but see Yellow People as their arch enemy.

OR

Yellow People who don’t see any other color but see Blue People as their arch enemy.

There are no more Green People.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #19

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
“Just last evening, I took my dogs out for a walk, and two rigs came at us going close to 40 mph (speed limit is 20), billowing a cloud of dust behind them, with out-of-state plates. “

Perhaps a sign on the road saying

Rough road ahead.
Fasten seatbelts
Remove dentures

Give it a try. Can’t hurt.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I simply can't get beyond medium format.

And I wish I could go camping. Partly because all the people at the campground are people like me (people who think it's okay to go camping). Which leaves the rest sitting at home, criticizing on forums those who go camping!

But I need to stay home... cataract surgery coming up in a few days. Looking forward to seeing the results!