Don't Travel warnings? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 07:56 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Perhaps I have a contrarian view of travel with my Escape. At any rate, here is my take. Last February to April found the three of us in Florida. While there we had our trailer in storage while using a condo we had rented. Plans were to move to Fort Wilderness Campground after the condo rental ended, Disney closed the park, including the campground a few days before our entry date. So much for that, we adjusted and extended our condo stay, with the outbreak not much demand for condos during the first week of April.

I now know that staying in the condo during that time was just like staying at home, and more important staying at the Disney campground would not be different than being at home. Florida was using the slogan, Sheltered in Place, and it did not matter where you were. Just following the protocols in place at that location and time was important. Having the trailer for the trip home was extremely safe, the gas pump was our only place of contact and having a clean handwashing place within arm’s reach gave great comfort.

During the summer we took advantage of what we had learned about this travel and spent a week in the mountains of Virginia followed by two weeks “up North” and finally two weeks in Colorado. Based on campground occupancy many others have found that camping is a safe activity. I think it is unfair to you and your loved ones to think you cannot travel to the southern climates with a RV and stay safe.

Following local rules, using the CDC guidelines for sanitation and eliminate any group gatherings or personal contact are probably all things you are currently doing. It does not matter where you are. Grocery stores have been cleared as safe places to visit, carry out food is acceptable, not many known cases of Covid from gas pumps, in all, with common sense you can travel to warmer climates. Once you thaw out can you do the same activities as years past? Definitely no. But think of the things you cannot do when remaining at home, lots of changes. If you want BINGO and dance parties accompanied by potluck suppers you might consider staying home. Jon I can see destinations like Quartzite being quite different. I have noticed that fellow campers are downright antisocial. Very few want to interact, and with good reason. My point is, it will not be the same if you are doing a repeat visit.

I qualify all this with you should do with what you are comfortable with. There are many exceptions that cannot all be covered. In my case I am not comfortable with flying. I think the airplane is probably the safest portion, it is the jetway, waiting lounge, bus trip from the parking garage and security lines that worry me. So, I have chosen not to fly, taking my Escape on a trip puts most personal contact under my control, it is worth doing.

If you can travel and avoid personal contact you can have a safe trip. This means you need to be able to entertain yourselves in a solo setting. It is not a time to visit relatives en route, nor entertain guests, hobnob with other campers or participate in groups. Like I said above, modern travel has different rules. They may not suit you and the restrictions may not make for the type of trip you want.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:08 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
My good friend and his wife, plus their entire family, quarantined for 14 days, with the exception of getting food, before meeting for Thanksgiving. It was only a small group, adults only, 10 from 3 families. Among them are 2 nurses, 2 school teachers and 2 doctors in this family.

By Friday of this week, 7 have now tested positive for COVID. My good friend was admitted to the hospital last night while his wife is suffering at home alone.

Who brought it in? Who missed washing that hand that one time?

This is a horribly fast spreading disease that is just reaching it’s peak has now killed almost THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND AMERICANS IN LESS THAN 1 YEAR!

How many times must people ask if it’s okay to travel?:

Be safe everyone!
People have always looked and found ways to justify poor behavior thus you will continue to and will always get the infamous “ What If “ question
I look at STAY HOME & DON’T TRAVEL as declarative statements that don’t require nuance
I’ve lived through 70 Midwest winters and I am positive I can survive one more

My long time fishing / hunting buddy lost his mother to covid and his sister is in the ICU from covid
My daughter who is a nurse and my SIL have covid
Old 12-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
We're all getting so very tired of this virus. Virus fatigue has truly set in. I haven't eaten a meal with anyone since July. I've only seen my grandgirls four times since the beginning of the year. On Thanksgiving and now soon-to-be Christmas, I'll be alone. BUT, in Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, Life comes first. My daughter and SIL work with the public, my grandgirls are in 'sometimes' daycare. I want to live to see them in 2021. I'll stay home, self-isolate and be lonely in that Pursuit.

I'm grateful we haven't read about anyone who's a member of the EscapeForum who's passed of this insidious virus. My hope is if we all do what we've been asked to do, we can gather in 2021 and everyone will be there.

Be safe, be well.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
We’ve made the decision that we will stay close to home until we are vaccinated. It’s risky enough just the minimal interaction that has to happen for everyday activities. We traveled last summer to a relatives in upstate ny and stayed on their property, it was pretty safe, but it was mostly outdoors when cases were not exploding with more people indoors like now. Most of us won’t get the experimental treatment like the wealthy if we get sick.. I’m not Impatient as I don’t want to inpatient. Read the accounts of rural American cities that bought the message that this wasn’t serious. I’ve read two accounts one in SD and one in Kansas . Death doesn’t care who you voted for. Incredible. I’d expect vaccine by next summer. I’ll wait, I don’t want a Darwin Award.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
If you can travel and avoid personal contact you can have a safe trip. This means you need to be able to entertain yourselves in a solo setting.
My father likes to be alone after 36 years of teaching 7th graders. Right now he is camped in an orchard (friends property) and fishing a very remote stretch of a tributary off Lake Erie for steelhead. He is completely self-sufficient and will likely interact with no one during his entire trip. He stopped for gas one time on his travel from NJ and paid at the pump. We all need to be as safe as possible but just furthering the point that not all travel/camping should be painted with a broad brush. I understand this is serious and we have had family and friends impacted by COVID (including one death) but you need to assess the risk of your individual situation. He is likely safer where he is than at home in a densely populated suburban area.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
They those that stay at home right now. Thank you! Mean it.

Here is one problem I see with all the arguments to be able to travel.

You have no way of knowing if it was safe to travel, or if you caused someone else to face exposure. Not now or later. Right now it is all speculation, and you are taking chances with other people's lives.

Yes in many instances it probably is safe. That is definitely not the issue. IMHO.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #27

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
The concern is that you'll inadvertently bring virus from one place to another. .
We have been going to the southwest for the last four years. This year we are staying home. And we will be here until this over. We do not want to get sick far from home and we don’t want to bring the virus to other places.
We live in a very rural area, diary farms is the biggest industry. About 7000 people spread out in a very large township including about 2000 in the village. We were doing very good. Only one case and that was last March. And than Thanksgiving happened. And a few family’s decided to have family and friend’s from out of town, out of state, after all everyone was healthy. As of yesterday we have 100 active cases . Who knows how it will end.
So I say stay home. I wish those people would have stayed out of our town.
Remember 20 to 40 percent of those infected don’t show symptoms, but spread the virus.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Exactly my sentiments, Uncle Tim. Thanks.

I will have the holidays alone so that I can maybe have a lot more holidays with my kids and grands. And, god willing, my 92 year old dad, if I can keep 3 of my sibs from visiting him on Christmas eve. He has every risk factor in the book. Tomorrow is my birthday, and a decade one, at that. The only advantage is it might push me into an earlier queue for a vaccine.

I hope when this is all over we have a heck of a gathering of Escapes. Meanwhile, I raise my glass to you all.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
People have always looked and found ways to justify poor behavior thus you will continue to and will always get the infamous “ What If “ question
I look at STAY HOME & DON’T TRAVEL as declarative statements that don’t require nuance

My long time fishing / hunting buddy lost his mother to covid and his sister is in the ICU from covid
Steve thinking of you . We have something in common having a daughter that is a nurse . She is my youngest and I am scared everyday for her . She works at the VA hospital . She is so frustrated with others who won’t listen and take this serious including another daughter , her sister . Be safe and things have to get better for all of us .Pat
Old 12-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

Bravo. I agree completely. Stay home, stay safe. I won't go anywhere until I get a vaccination.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #31

Pat, I hope she is able to get a vaccine soon. And bless her for all her hard work.

Steve, your loved ones are in my thoughts.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We're all getting so very tired of this virus. Virus fatigue has truly set in. I haven't eaten a meal with anyone since July. I've only seen my grandgirls four times since the beginning of the year. On Thanksgiving and now soon-to-be Christmas, I'll be alone. BUT, in Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, Life comes first. My daughter and SIL work with the public, my grandgirls are in 'sometimes' daycare. I want to live to see them in 2021. I'll stay home, self-isolate and be lonely in that Pursuit.

I'm grateful we haven't read about anyone who's a member of the EscapeForum who's passed of this insidious virus. My hope is if we all do what we've been asked to do, we can gather in 2021 and everyone will be there.

Be safe, be well.
Right there with you Donna ! Also haven’t seen our kids, Grandchildren and 3 new Grandbabies . But we want to live and be responsible . We are also alone without our family too. Never in our wildest dreams thought we would be living like this . We just keep looking forward . Pat
Old 12-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Pat, I hope she is able to get a vaccine soon. And bless her for all her hard work.

Thankyou . Pat
Old 12-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:

Thank you .
Old 12-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Tomorrow is my birthday, and a decade one, at that.

Happy Birthday BJ.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #36

Thanks. Maybe I'll see ya on the river sometime.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Thanks. Maybe I'll see ya on the river sometime.
Sorry BJ Happy Birthday ! Pat and Linda
Old 12-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #38

Trailer: 2012 Casita
Thanks everybody for behaving like adults. I've been in a sour mood reading so many posts on forums about people determined to go about as usual. They don't get it. There were lots of snarky posts after a doctor wrote an opinion piece about please take all precautions so they don't have to work so hard and in harm's way.

I went to Idaho in September to try to get into some better air. We were smoked out here. I only stopped for gas and to check in at state parks on the way. I was alarmed at the first Idaho State Park where half the people in line wore no masks nor did the employees.

I got to McCall and found a space at their state park. That area had a masks rule and the lobby this time had signs up about distancing and masks required. I went to a grocery store, where quite a few folks were not observing the rules. That was my stop in Idaho. On the way home, was going to maybe go up to North Idaho but they were starting in on their surge of covid, so stayed again in Lewiston, where this time, there were more mask wearers, and shopped for some groceries, and more people were in compliance, but still there were folks who seemed oblivious.

I then was a bit nervous for a couple of weeks after getting home.

Hoping we all get to get a vaccine that will free us. Thanks for caring about other folks and hope you all can have good holidays.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #39

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Travel limits and visits

Donna and others are so right about both covid fatigue and missing family. Our youngest granddaughter is a covid baby; born March 21. We have yet to meet her and have not seen my son and the other 2 grandkids in a year. They live on the Olympic peninsula and we are in Denver. It’s really painful as well as frustrating and just sad.
I hate missing out on seeing the kids but we just cannot do it until it is safer. All of us miss someone, lots of someones in fact. It doesn’t seem to get much easier to wait, but there is not a lot of choice and there will be a vaccine.

I am a retired health care provider and am really concerned for the ones in the trenches. They gut it out day after day. I miss family and friends but am relatively safe at home. That is my gift to them; staying out of the hospital.

However you manage, I hope all are staying safe. I for one will be happy to say goodbye to 2020. Besides I am tired of making masks and my fabric stash is getting rather diminished!
Catherine
Old 12-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #40

Trailer: 2019 E19
The Covid-19 patient count in our zip code has been gradually increasing since Arizona began publishing the numbers. That is, until 10 days ago. In the last 10 days, in our zip code area, the number of patients has doubled. This is a little town, which has seen a significant influx of Winter Visitors in the last month.

The published advisories, "Stay Home" and "Don't Travel", are simple messages using the Lowest Common Denominator technique. They distill good advice. More sophisticated messaging would simply be too complicated for acceptance by a significant part of the population. Treat everyone you meet as if they have an active Covid infection.
Closed Thread