Don't Travel warnings? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 19’
Don't Travel warnings?

I hear and read from the experts to not travel. I'm not sure exactly what they mean. I understand to not use public transportation... or visit people outside your family group. But what if you travel like us RV'ers where we can be self contained. Are the experts advising not to travel by trailer for some other reason?
We have plans to leave from Michigan mid january and head to Florida. We have 10 weeks of reservations at various campgrounds. We are very careful and always wear masks in public. We use our toilet and shower in the trailer. Wear a mask and sanitize our hands after the gas station. We get groceries curbside pickup. Wash our clothes by hand unless there is an outdoor washing machine at the campground. I think we are pretty safe unless I am missing something about the warning to Do Not Travel.
Thoughts?
Old 12-11-2020, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
The concern is that you'll inadvertently bring virus from one place to another. You are planning and willing to be very careful- not everyone is and saying, "Sure, come if you will wear a mask and use sanitizer" doesn't play very well. Easier to say don't come. Just look at South Dakota after Sturgis- they now have had 1 death per every 750 people.

Even with all precautions taken you could get a higher exposure to the virus if you go to an area where it is more prevalent. Say that curbside pickup brings groceries that a worker just coming down with Covid-19 has just coughed all over. Or that gas pump was used by someone going home sick from work and you missed a spot with hand cleaner or your mask wasn't great.

Worst cases, you break down and need a tow (what do you do? Tow truck won't take you,) or even worse, end up in an overloaded hospital for unrelated reasons.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I understand exactly your dilemma as I am sure many do.

Personally I can’t see how travel could be any safer when you bring your own home with you and play by the rules for shopping, fuel etc. (Don’t forget to wear gloves.)

You are probably better aware of any consequences if any that are in place.

Unfortunately I think that time period is going to be very high in hospitalisations so any extra activity could result in a non COVID injury of which could be problematic.

Stay safe and do what you have to do.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Old 12-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videocrafters View Post
I hear and read from the experts to not travel. I'm not sure exactly what they mean. I understand to not use public transportation... or visit people outside your family group. But what if you travel like us RV'ers where we can be self contained. Are the experts advising not to travel by trailer for some other reason?
We have plans to leave from Michigan mid january and head to Florida. We have 10 weeks of reservations at various campgrounds. We are very careful and always wear masks in public. We use our toilet and shower in the trailer. Wear a mask and sanitize our hands after the gas station. We get groceries curbside pickup. Wash our clothes by hand unless there is an outdoor washing machine at the campground. I think we are pretty safe unless I am missing something about the warning to Do Not Travel.
Thoughts?
IMO, if you take those precautions you are just safe travelling as you are staying at home.

Just be aware the State of Florida has been manipulating our data and the state is in much worse shape than it appears. We also have Governor who denies that Covid is real. So,don't expect people around you to be taking precautions, maintaining social distancing, or wearing masks.

Florida medical examiners were releasing coronavirus death data. The state made them stop.

TAMPA BAY TIMES - April 29, 2020

The list had previously been released in real time by the state Medical Examiners Commission. But earlier this month, after the Tampa Bay Times reported that the medical examiners’ death count was 10 percent higher than the figure released by the Florida Department of Health, state officials said the list needed to be reviewed and possibly redacted.

Florida police raid COVID data whistleblower’s house with guns drawn

SOUTH FLORIDA SUN SENTINEL - December 07, 2020

State police raided the home of a former Department of Health data scientist who is accusing Florida officials of wrongfully firing her for refusing to manipulate COVID-19 statistics.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Our friends are in Tampa, and as mentioned above the FL Governor has removed ALL restrictions and is hiding data. Probably, one of the most dangerous states in the US right now. If you go, go informed that this is where it’s at in FL currently and be as safe as you can.
AZ Is not doing well currently either, but I don’t see any evidence that we’re hiding data.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I cancelled heading south this winter, mostly as I'd hate to get sick 1000 or more miles from home.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
I gotta run down to Beckley WV next week to get in some quick engine braking test on the 7% grade there. I figure I can make a trip like that with very little interaction with other people. All meals take-out / drive through and since I'll only be in a hotel for two nights I can go without maid service until I leave. Gas is all bought at the pump.

It's really not all that different in terms of contact compared to being home. In fact, staying away from my wife improves my chances since she works in a hospital and has direct contact with Covid-19 patients (in full PPE, of course).
Old 12-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I cancelled heading south this winter, mostly as I'd hate to get sick 1000 or more miles from home.
We cancelled heading South in the Winter about 8 or 10 years ago . Covid had no part in our decision .
We will be staying home until the pandemic is medically not politically under control.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Sounds like you've really got things dialed and well thought out to stay as safe as possible on the road. We practiced the similar personal protection when we travelled regionally this past summer and fall, although I wear single use gloves if I have to touch high use public objects.

We were going to go full time for a year beginning this past September and decided against it in April. I'm glad we stayed put.

My thoughts...
If we get sick or injured we may be in a situation made worse by all things Covid,
Unexpected campsite cancellations due to Covid restrictions or shut downs may be difficult to navigate while on the road,
I feel it's best to avoid regions or areas with low mask compliance,
I don't want to be targeted by a crazy for wearing a mask in public,
I don't want to be a target of random road rage for having an out of state license plate as was occurring in Maine and New Hampshire when they had a travel ban in place this past spring and early summer

In addition to the other spot-on Florida info, my mother in law lives outside of Tampa and just held an indoor party this past Friday with over 50 people in attendance.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
2X. As much as I am not looking forward to 150" - 200" of snow, and it has been 5 years since I spent a winter in upstate NY, I'm staying home. Our county is not perfect at 4.23% positive testing, but we have a mostly empty hospital & NY has a fairly good Covid plan. People in our area are, for the most part, following the social distancing & mask rules.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #11
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
small south west towns do not have hospitals

https://www.capitalgazette.com/coron...6wa-story.html
Old 12-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
2X. As much as I am not looking forward to 150" - 200" of snow, and it has been 5 years since I spent a winter in upstate NY, I'm staying home. Our county is not perfect at 4.23% positive testing, but we have a mostly empty hospital & NY has a fairly good Covid plan. People in our area are, for the most part, following the social distancing & mask rules.
Hi: Vermilye... We're "Homeward bound"... Not just because the border is closed, but due to the behavior of some citizens in Florida. We did travel with our trailer before storage and found it a comfort towing our own facilities. Masks rule!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 12-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We are missing the beautiful weather in the southern states soooooooooo much already even though winter is only starting, and we always run into so many nice new friends that it is pretty tough to give it all up. That said, we're staying put this winter and in fact I told the person who manages our winter storage lot that we would not be moving our trailer at all this winter I hope that everyone comes through this healthy and safe; we'll just have to party harder the next time we meet.

Its strange that we had planned to come to the gathering in Quartzite last year and decoded to postpone for a year and look what happened, just goes to show how true the old adage is; do not put off to tomorrow what you can do today! Next time I am able I will for sure come to Arizona!
Old 12-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Of course I had to post this here when I saw it.
Attached Thumbnails
camping season.jpg  
Old 12-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 17 B
This is my first year with an RV and that comic is exactly how I feel! Love it
Old 12-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Our friends are in Tampa, and as mentioned above the FL Governor has removed ALL restrictions and is hiding data. Probably, one of the most dangerous states in the US right now. If you go, go informed that this is where it’s at in FL currently and be as safe as you can.
I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that when I go into Milton almost everyone is wearing a mask now, which is a change from before. Perhaps the news across the country regarding COVID is finally sinking in. Or maybe a couple of canceled football games got everyone's attention. Regardless, it is a step in the right direction.

A local ham radio shop is hosting an outdoor "tailgater" tomorrow. There will be masks, social distancing, and other precautions. But I'm staying home. Next year, maybe.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
The concern is that you'll inadvertently bring virus from one place to another. You are planning and willing to be very careful- not everyone is and saying, "Sure, come if you will wear a mask and use sanitizer" doesn't play very well. Easier to say don't come. Just look at South Dakota after Sturgis- they now have had 1 death per every 750 people.

Even with all precautions taken you could get a higher exposure to the virus if you go to an area where it is more prevalent. Say that curbside pickup brings groceries that a worker just coming down with Covid-19 has just coughed all over. Or that gas pump was used by someone going home sick from work and you missed a spot with hand cleaner or your mask wasn't great.

Worst cases, you break down and need a tow (what do you do? Tow truck won't take you,) or even worse, end up in an overloaded hospital for unrelated reasons.
Well said ! Pat
Old 12-12-2020, 01:47 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that when I go into Milton almost everyone is wearing a mask now, which is a change from before. Perhaps the news across the country regarding COVID is finally sinking in. Or maybe a couple of canceled football games got everyone's attention. Regardless, it is a step in the right direction.

A local ham radio shop is hosting an outdoor "tailgater" tomorrow. There will be masks, social distancing, and other precautions. But I'm staying home. Next year, maybe.
Smart Mike ! Pat
Old 12-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #19

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post

My good friend and his wife, plus their entire family, quarantined for 14 days, with the exception of getting food, before meeting for Thanksgiving. It was only a small group, adults only, 10 from 3 families. Among them are 2 nurses, 2 school teachers and 2 doctors in this family.

By Friday of this week, 7 have now tested positive for COVID. My good friend was admitted to the hospital last night while his wife is suffering at home alone.

Who brought it in? Who missed washing that hand that one time?

This is a horribly fast spreading disease that is just reaching it’s peak has now killed almost THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND AMERICANS IN LESS THAN 1 YEAR!

How many times must people ask if it’s okay to travel?:

Be safe everyone!
Old 12-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
You guys bring up some good points. I think I have a few too.

First things first. No judgement here!

In Colorado, for example, one out of every 100 people have Covid or are carrying the virus. Not sure what the difference is.

That means it is in my area now. It is highly transmissible. Highly!!! Just being out is a risk.

When you are in your RV alone, you really are isolated. However, there are multiple points of contact along the way. And some of them are thru animals. Not even people. The vectors are hidden and insidious. There are lots of ways of catching this. We are hearing stories from people that have no idea how they could have caught it. So there's that.

Here's the one that stops me. And believe me, I want to go. BAD!

The leaders that we depend on to get us through this, are asking for our cooperation. Justifications put aside, it is just better if less people are out there to become infected, or need help or die (God forbid). There are literally a million permutations of what can happen and they mostly all do happen somewhere. So just to help out these people that we depend on, I am doing as asked. Not to mention lessening the load on hospitals. I haven't used my skateboard in several months now, due to not wanting to take up a hospital bed when they are needed for Covid cases. Skateboards bring a constant threat of injury. And I love to skate. But not now.

More than anything I want to be a good person towards my fellow human being and only bring them love and not pain. I want to do my small part, and I want to do with great care. For you guys! For sure. We are all connected.
Attached Thumbnails
new cases-12-12-20.jpg   new deaths-12-12-20.jpg  
Closed Thread