General Covid-19 comments - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2020, 08:18 PM   #41

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Iowa Dave....here's one of Lefty, noodlin'

He snagged a nice whitefish, up there in Lake Superior. And he don't need no worms.....he's got that sloppy dog tongue to bring them in. It seems to work.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0440.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:41 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Whitefish

[QUOTE=HABBERDABBER;329665]He snagged a nice whitefish, up there in Lake Superior. And he don't need no worms.....he's got that sloppy dog tongue to bring them in. It seems to work.[/QUOTE

Smoked whitefish out of that cold water are pretty good. Our neighbor Joe Ulch had a big smoker when I was a kid. We’d hang around when the fish came out. He’d give us the broken ones he couldn’t sell in the beer joint. Those were the days. Would Lefty take Jake fishing?
Iowa Dave
Old 03-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Sure

Sure. Lefty can show old Jakes the ropes....on noodlin'. But Jake will need to bring his own bait....and beer.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #44

Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Sure. Lefty can show old Jakes the ropes....on noodlin'. But Jake will need to bring his own bait....and beer.
Jake was taught good manners by his Dad who always shares his beer and snacks. He’s got a nice big tongue for bait and lightning quick reflexes kept sharp by catching flies out of the air. He’s Semper Paratus, Like his Dad
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
65620176-152D-460F-912A-567CEB476214.jpg  
Old 03-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You see that toad that is my avatar? Well, this is Charlie, and I'm not sure she swallowed it yet, in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
charly fishing 2.jpg  
Old 03-29-2020, 12:36 AM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I heard a Dr. on TV saying in this time of Coronavirus staying at home we should focus on inner peace. To achieve this we should always finish things we start and we all could use more calm in our lives. I looked through my house to find things i'd started and hadn't finished, so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum. And two hash yer wands, stafe day avrybobby!!!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #47

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We took a ride up into the Berkshire hills of MA yesterday to check on the ice conditions of a couple ponds I fish. It's like summer vacation, more cars with NY plates then MA plates.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #48

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We took a ride up into the Berkshire hills of MA yesterday to check on the ice conditions of a couple ponds I fish. It's like summer vacation, more cars with NY plates then MA plates.
And more and more small communities are telling visitors and vacation home owners to go home as they struggle to care for the needs of the full time residents.

The Outer Banks, the Florida Keys, the Moab, UT area are just a few examples.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Speaking of great gettaway places here's one for someone who could really use one...
Attached Thumbnails
AlkaDonny.jpg  
Old 03-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #50

Not Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
And more and more small communities are telling visitors and vacation home owners to go home as they struggle to care for the needs of the full time residents.

The Outer Banks, the Florida Keys, the Moab, UT area are just a few examples.
l

I’m sure there are hundreds of pockets of “get away” secondary residences throughout the USA and Canada. And it’s understandable that full time residents in these areas are scared and don’t want new “carriers” arriving in their towns. Those non residents are scared too. And they pay taxes and support a lot of these areas in the good times. Once they are socially distant in their vacation homes, cabins and self contained RVs. I doubt they are that big a threat if they didn’t come in already exposed. Condos, high rises, not so good. I can see both sides and I think there are two sides to this dilemma. Comments?
Iowa Dave
Old 03-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
l
if they didn’t come in already exposed.
And how can anyone know that with any degree of certainty?

That is the crux of the problem.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
A community would have to be very self-sufficient to enforce this isolation as there would be no delivery of foodstuffs and other goods. Plus the locals couldn't leave as they wouldn't (or shouldn't) be allowed to come back into a closed community.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #53

History

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
A community would have to be very self-sufficient to enforce this isolation as there would be no delivery of foodstuffs and other goods. Plus the locals couldn't leave as they wouldn't (or shouldn't) be allowed to come back into a closed community.
I think one time I referred to Doig’s Dancing at the Rascal Fair, and you posted that you had read it too. That book was so powerful in describing the effect of the 1918/19 Flu epidemic and I followed up reading accounts about that flu epidemic which had never been at all detailed in my public school education. I hope this virus Pandemic will be better remembered and some good comes out of the education about it.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
I think one time I referred to Doig’s Dancing at the Rascal Fair, and you posted that you had read it too.
Iowa Dave

I am ashamed to admit that when I heard about Doig's death in 2015, my first thought was that there would be no more books from him. Dancing and English Creek were his two best in my opinion. A wonderful writer.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #55

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
l

I’m sure there are hundreds of pockets of “get away” secondary residences throughout the USA and Canada. And it’s understandable that full time residents in these areas are scared and don’t want new “carriers” arriving in their towns. Those non residents are scared too. And they pay taxes and support a lot of these areas in the good times. Once they are socially distant in their vacation homes, cabins and self contained RVs. I doubt they are that big a threat if they didn’t come in already exposed. Condos, high rises, not so good. I can see both sides and I think there are two sides to this dilemma. Comments?
Iowa Dave
Dave , I agree with you in principal BUT !!
We live in a small rural area , it is basically a vacation lakes area, our town has a population of 700 full time residents and half of the property in the county is owned by out of state land owners ( Summer lake homes )
Friday we drove into town to get a few groceries, the grocery store parking lot was full of vehicles with out of state plates , so we went back home without going shopping .
This morning we returned to town to pickup groceries and the shelves were EMPTY
The store manager said that there was a run on groceries by the out of town / state people ( No milk , eggs , bread , paper products , food staples left on the shelves )and he has no idea when they will be able to restock , so again we returned home empty handed
The gas station in town was packed with out of towners filling up their tanks

How long are the locals residents supposed to survive without food ?
Was it necessary to stock up seasonal homes with enough food to last the whole Summer ?
What are we supposed to do for fuel or should we walk the 7 miles to town for necessities ?
If people drove to their second home , stayed there for a period of time and then went straight back home it could work BUT that’s not what’s happening
We are forced to deal with the reality and not the optimistic hypothetical. !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Much like the US/Canada border closure, commercial traffic flow continues. That’s how the grocery stores, hospitals, gas stations, and such, stay supplied.

No tourists.

Same general idea on a community scale.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #57

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would think that "two is a limit" was in effect everywhere, if not, it should be. The store manager is happy, he sells out daily, but the locals are the ones impacted.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #58

Hi Steve,
I respect your opinion and like I said, there’s sides to this, depends on what side of the wire you’re on. A one day “let’s go check the cabin” , clean out that little grocery store, cause our home store is cleaned out and beat feet for home” is not in the spirit of things as I see it.

We shop in the larger city 12 miles east of us. We also shop in the county seat town in our county as it’s only 22 miles, has the same selection at the same or better prices, and I like spreading what little money I have, around. The other grocery store we use is a non chain store about 18 miles away but is virtually on the county line so I like to go there too.

Like many of us raised by parents of the depression having a rotating stockpile of supplies, hardware, gas cans, pretty much you name it, has always served me in good stead.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #59

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Doesn't take many people stocking their home/cabin from scratch for a 2 or 3 week stay to clean out a small grocer.

Might try a bigger town to shop, maybe.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
These types of situations bring out the best in most people and they rise to the occasion but there will always be a small minority where the worst of their human nature rises to the top.
Selfishness does not die in a time of tragedy but rears its ugly head proudly for all to see
I hope we don’t get to a point where our roads are shut down by necessity and enforced by Marshall Law and armed militia but ?
We have been asked to live with a few minor inconveniences yet some can’t even try to comply
Kind of sad !

God Bless and if you need us , we will be at home .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote