How are you holding up? - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-19-2020, 10:01 PM   #161
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,666
Help

Tele psychiatry is a real thing helping many people. Even in good times Telehealth saves people from driving long distances. Saving time, fuel, lodging and the cost of restaurant meals
Diagnosis of behavioral and psychological problems including ADHD, autism etc is a rapidly evolving discipline, one which finds my oldest daughter a proponent and recognized expert. There are new normals developing every day. Landscapes of all types change over time. The Covid 19 PANDEMIC will cause additional adaptations in the field of medicine.
Iowa Dave
__________________

__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:30 PM   #162
Senior Member
 
EdColorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Front Range, Colorado
Trailer: In between
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Sadly so! That said, the uncertainty and pain that many now suffer is one that none of my own family members must face. My heart goes out to those living by a shoestring, not knowing when they're going to run out of the money needed to feed their children and pay the utilities or rent. We tend to politicize this issue, but all along the political spectrum, folks simply want to be safe. For many, it's more like this: "The curve is flattening, so we can start lifting restrictions now" = "The parachute has slowed our rate of descent, but if we don't soon find a way to land, my family will die of starvation." Perspective is all.
And what you say is right, Ava.

If there was a clear, one-size-fits-all solution to this mess it would have been found and implemented by unanimous consent.

We struggle and search and hope and stumble and try our best.
What else can anyone expect of us?

Ed

My mantra
This too shall pass.
__________________

EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:31 PM   #163
Senior Member
 
UncleTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Posts: 829
Hey Dave, I think you are on to something!

Every little bit helps and you do not know where it leads!

We are an emerging species! To say the least.

That is, if we don't kill ourselves first.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:37 PM   #164
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Just enjoy your border closing for another month.
2020 was to be our 40th annual fishing trip to Manitoba Canada
Three of us in our fishing group have never missed a year
Of the three I am the youngest at 70 , Paul being the oldest at 76
As much as I would like to continue the tradition , I must accept reality , their are things more important than me or getting to go fishing & camping
The Canadian Government has a responsibility to its citizens and owes me nothing

I guess it’s hard for some to recognize the true enemy in this scenario especially when blinded by self interest and political philosophy.
I look forward to meeting many of this forums Canadian members , if I have to wait till 2021 , I can live with that .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:49 PM   #165
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2019 Expedition
Posts: 4,080
I would say the opposite about selfishness. It seems the few want the many to sacrifice for a cause that at this point seems questionable to an ever increasing populace. That includes cancer patients that cannot get treatment or even diagnosed. Then what about the children and what this is doing to them?

Seems the older people get the more selfish they become.
__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:15 AM   #166
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 6,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
2020 was to be our 40th annual fishing trip to Manitoba Canada
Three of us in our fishing group have never missed a year
Of the three I am the youngest at 70 , Paul being the oldest at 76
As much as I would like to continue the tradition , I must accept reality , their are things more important than me or getting to go fishing & camping
The Canadian Government has a responsibility to its citizens and owes me nothing

I guess it’s hard for some to recognize the true enemy in this scenario especially when blinded by self interest and political philosophy.
I look forward to meeting many of this forums Canadian members , if I have to wait till 2021 , I can live with that .
Steve after speaking with you many times would definitely love to meet you in person ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:06 AM   #167
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 3,282
Masks/sanitizer/hand washing here whenever we go out and not rushing to go anywhere.
The sadness is in the death toll and affected families. Almost 20 years of the Vietnam conflict/war cost a little over 58,000 American lives. We're over 90,000 American deaths in approximately 3 months with many more to come, not to mention the death toll globally and our neighbors to the North and South. Like Vietnam, many of the Covid survivors are going to require lifetime medical care and deal with continuing health problems. There will be many social changes as a result of this pandemic.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:23 AM   #168
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Posts: 7,080
Our DIL is a PA in Oncology just over the line in CT. She works every day treating cancer patients, guess they consider it an essential service. This is treating existing cases as opposed to diagnosing new ones. Not everything has stopped.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #169
Senior Member
 
JStelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Friendswood, Texas
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Masks/sanitizer/hand washing here whenever we go out and not rushing to go anywhere.
The sadness is in the death toll and affected families. Almost 20 years of the Vietnam conflict/war cost a little over 58,000 American lives. We're over 90,000 American deaths in approximately 3 months with many more to come, not to mention the death toll globally and our neighbors to the North and South. Like Vietnam, many of the Covid survivors are going to require lifetime medical care and deal with continuing health problems. There will be many social changes as a result of this pandemic.

This is a false comparison and I think we should be careful making it. Why not compare it to car accidents, murders, cancer, pneumonia, or heaven forbid the flu?

I agree with many here in that it’s prudent to limit social interactions, wash our hands and wear a mask when appropriate. We all do other prudent things such as wearing a seat belt, getting a flu shot annually, getting a physical and trying to take care of ourselves. COVID 19 is new and we will adjust just like we have for other things.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:37 PM   #170
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 3,282
My apologies, you are correct it is not meant as a direct comparison, but just an illustration of the magnitude of where we’re at. You could do a direct comparison with the other things you mention, since they are all still current issues.
Since the virus has only officially existed since approximately 1/1/20, you’d have to get the reported numbers for cancer, pneumonia, etc from 1/1/20 to present and compare them to the Covid #’s. I haven’t seen anyone do that anywhere yet, but it would certainly be informational to have that data set to view.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:50 PM   #171
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Has it occurred to anyone of the tradeoff? Are you aware people are dying because of the shutdown? Mental health(just one of many issues)has always been one of those things we all support on the surface yet how many turn away to family and friends that suffer this even in good times?
I have to agree with this to some degree. So much is being lost along with some lives. We do need to control the possible spread to those that are more susceptible, with the vast majority being older folks with compromised immune systems, with them accounting for over 80% of the deaths. We have way too much closed down. I know of lots of people who are struggling now, and the wee pittance given out by the government, though helping, is driving all levels of government into extreme debt, something that the citizens will have to repay. The amount of money lost by many from their retirement funds due to the drop in the market is massive. I know quite a few people who are down well into the 6 digit category, and who knows how much or when this will recover. If we don't get business as a whole going, it will only get worse.

I support the latest measures provincially to get the economy started on a turn around. Of course they will need to do due diligence in monitoring how things are going, and take the measures required to correct.

This pandemic is a serious situation, but for many there are even more serious ones. To discount the level of suffering of our population is unwise. I do realize here in Alberta we have done well to battle the virus, while other ares have not. I do hope even those areas with the worst numbers of cases pull through as soon as possible.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #172
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 6,919
Just saw the best Graduation for 2020 . Don’t know how to start a new thread or post here from utube . It’s called Friday nights Oak Harbor high School . We were supposed to be there but my daughter posted on Facebook for me to see . Oak Harbor is on Whidbey Island . They sure made this a memorable day for the graduates unlike I have ever seen . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #173
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,898
I'll have to check that out when I am on my computer. It really is good to see groups and businesses during special things to help with bringing goodness in people's lives during these troubled times.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #174
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Posts: 7,080
My 11 yo grand daughters birthday today. They are doing 30 minute shifts for folks to stop in and hang in the yard, compared to my grand son's a month ago where you couldn't get out of the car. It was great to see and interact with them, pretty much like normal other then you keep a little space.

Went for a walk on the new trail they bushwhacked off their backyard. Pretty cool when they point out the different plants along the trail, I remember doing that with my daughter when she was that age.

She got here 1st cell phone so this is a biggy of a birthday.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #175
Senior Member
 
brightday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sunny, Texas
Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have to agree with this to some degree. So much is being lost along with some lives. We do need to control the possible spread to those that are more susceptible, with the vast majority being older folks with compromised immune systems, with them accounting for over 80% of the deaths. We have way too much closed down. I know of lots of people who are struggling now, and the wee pittance given out by the government, though helping, is driving all levels of government into extreme debt, something that the citizens will have to repay. The amount of money lost by many from their retirement funds due to the drop in the market is massive. I know quite a few people who are down well into the 6 digit category, and who knows how much or when this will recover. If we don't get business as a whole going, it will only get worse.

I support the latest measures provincially to get the economy started on a turn around. Of course they will need to do due diligence in monitoring how things are going, and take the measures required to correct.

This pandemic is a serious situation, but for many there are even more serious ones. To discount the level of suffering of our population is unwise. I do realize here in Alberta we have done well to battle the virus, while other ares have not. I do hope even those areas with the worst numbers of cases pull through as soon as possible.
Well said, Jim. If only those at opposite ends could reach a meeting point! We have so many folks here in Texas who are continuing to behave as though COVID-19 didn't exist and others who accuse small groups of being selfish, even though individuals within these groups are observing the prescribed protocols. Politicizing this issue magnifies the problem, pushing people to their worst behavior. Praying for reasonable midpoints as we move forward to healing!
__________________
Ava

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:27 PM   #176
Senior Member
 
JStelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Friendswood, Texas
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019
Posts: 518
Well said Jim.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #177
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ..., New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 3,517
I think the only people who are "politicizing" the issue are those who support the ruling politicians. A total red herring. The rest of us are simply expressing support for the science.
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #178
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 4,198
I just finished making my 2nd set of 10 masks. Seems the masks provided by the state to the workers at our local college don't fit most of the crew. JoAnn Fabrics provides free kits (basically large pieces of fabric, although the first one I got included precut pieces & elastic). The only problem is some of the fabric doesn't go along with the typical user - one batch was big flowers, another teddy bears...

I'm no expert on a sewing machine (although I have made full sized theatre drops (20' X 40') from 54" wide fabric using industrial sewing machines that sew more than a foot per second. Making something as small as a mask is actually more difficult. My first ended up with the ear elastic on the inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1710.jpg (166.4 KB, 3 views)
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:20 PM   #179
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 3,282
Glue gun might make short work of that project, Jon.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #180
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B
Posts: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I just finished making my 2nd set of 10 masks. Seems the masks provided by the state to the workers at our local college don't fit most of the crew. JoAnn Fabrics provides free kits (basically large pieces of fabric, although the first one I got included precut pieces & elastic). The only problem is some of the fabric doesn't go along with the typical user - one batch was big flowers, another teddy bears...

I'm no expert on a sewing machine (although I have made full sized theatre drops (20' X 40') from 54" wide fabric using industrial sewing machines that sew more than a foot per second. Making something as small as a mask is actually more difficult. My first ended up with the ear elastic on the inside.
I've been using a 2-piece shaped pattern (really 4 pieces- 2 front, 2 back- and it can easily be lengthened for bigger faces or to go over another mask.

And I get the teddy bears- some local mask makers keep asking for neutral or masculine fabric. (How masculine will it need to be to get the construction guys to wear it, though?).

The guys who built my fence wore no masks the first day, second day they wore them around their necks.
__________________

Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×