How are you holding up? - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #121

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The mask does not protect you. It protects others from you. I read a description that it's like if somebody tries to pee on you, but they are wearing pants. You might get a little pee on you, but it's unlikely. However if somebody not wearing pants pees on you, you wearing pants isn't going to help a lot.

No point wearing the mask if you're alone in a car, because there is nobody there to be protected from you.

Better than a mask is keeping your distance and staying home when you can.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #122

Trailer: ?
Colorado:
“In mid-April, Gov. Jared Polis ordered all employees at grocery stores and any other essential businesses allowed to remain open during the coronavirus pandemic to wear masks while interacting with the public in an effort to help slow the virus’ spread.“
But. The other day I was in the grocery store and the manager was having a staff meeting of some sort. All standing shoulder to shoulder; most with masks, but not the manager. Do as I say; not as I do.

The rules for the use of masks by the general public while going into a store vary from town to town. Quite confusing.

According to our local rag:

“So, just as some municipalities opted to extend their stay-at-home orders, at least 15 Colorado cities and counties — including Denver, Boulder and Aspen — have ordered all members of the public to wear masks or other non-medical face coverings when going into businesses or public spaces where proper social distancing is impossible.“

I do a lot of walking (young dog). Perhaps 1/3 of the people I encounter wear a mask. I don’t. However, out of respect for those that do, I give them a very wide berth. Well over the suggested 6’.

I also wonder about wearing one in a car ; whatever.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #123

Trailer: 2020 21'NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Fire starters In no particular order
4 ought steel wool
Futerra landscape fabric
Birch bark
Binder twine
Wood excelsior packing material
Abandoned birds nests from small prairie trees: vireos, chipping sparrows: goldfinch
Mouse or vole nest
Dry milkweed pods
Dryer lint
Fine cedar wood shavings ( from a hand plane)
Flint and steel into tinder
Paraffin candle
And finally, although it takes a fat guy to get much: Belly button lint.
This excludes commercial products, not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Tinder then kindling then fuel; wood, buffalo chips, coon fat, charcoal etc. depending upon the goal at hand.
Study your fire lays to accomplish your goal
Ignition source, fuel, oxygen. The fire triangle
One match
Always keep a sandwich bag in your pocket and when you’re out during the day be thinking about your fire that night. Put tinder in the bag as you find it.
Keep fire-starting materials in your go-bag
Read: To build a fire by London
Learned from a coworker going through Search and Rescue training:
Cotton balls (or cotton pads) dipped in melted petroleum jelly. They tuck into a small ziplock or an old prescription bottle (watertight), and are easy to start, and burn long enough to get something else started. I keep those in our emergency preparedness kits in our cars.

I also love the egg carton, shavings, paraffin combo, mostly for watching people look at me like I'm insane. But dang, you can't beat that for fires when it's been pouring rain and everything is sodden. Growing up in the Pacific Northwest (West of the Cascades) I've camped in rain about as often as I've camped in dry weather.

But I think my favorite is a large chunk of cedar I have. It came from a friend's place, fallen tree. I like to sit with my hatchet and make tiny slivers, then bigger slices, then a little bigger. I'm pretty stingy about using the cedar, so it has lasted me years. but I like to use it in my tinder-inside-a-tepee-inside-a-log-cabin (ready to build a bigger tepee around that as soon as the fire starts). I get too much satisfaction building the perfect little structure, only to destroy it in a moment! I've had more than a few (mostly men) scoff at me for my pretty little structure, and then I get to bask in their admission that my way is fairly effective. I only gloat a little.
tukwilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #124

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am curious regarding the use of masks due to the pandemic. I know this varies lots with geographical location.

- how many must wear them at stores?
- who decides wear them in situations where it is not mandated?
- what kind of mask do folks wear. Man-made, construction, medical, or other?
- do you use one driving?
- please add any other back. I missed.

- here not a law to wear them in stores, you always see about 5% of folks with them on. Here, some one-on-one services will only work with the patient during a mask.
- I have only worn one when doing dusty work ever, but construction masks are N95.
- I have seen a few folks wearing them when driving. Not sure what is a good reason to do so.
We wear masks every time we have to go out . We had a couple of better 3 m N95 masks on hand for construction jobs at home . Kids got us a few more . We bought some masks from Wyze . We do not wear our going out shoes in our home and change them out in the garage . If we have to go shopping change our clothes and they go into washer . We have gloves also and Lysol . We wash our hands if we can at home . We are staying away from kids . They have come to bring us things and stay on other side of gate . We are both 73 and are doing what we can to be safe and who knows maybe not making others sick too. We miss our family but do talk . Really can’t wait for this to end . No matter what the professionals say we do what we feel is safe . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #125

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Regarding people you see wearing masks while driving: they are probably running errands and don't bother to take the mask off between stops. I do that sometimes.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #126

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We wear masks every time we have to go out . We had a couple of better 3 m N95 masks on hand for construction jobs at home . Kids got us a few more . We bought some masks from Wyze . We do not wear our going out shoes in our home and change them out in the garage . If we have to go shopping change our clothes and they go into washer . We have gloves also and Lysol . We wash our hands if we can at home . We are staying away from kids . They have come to bring us things and stay on other side of gate . We are both 73 and are doing what we can to be safe and who knows maybe not making others sick too. We miss our family but do talk . Really can’t wait for this to end . No matter what the professionals say we do what we feel is safe . Pat
Haven’t worn a mask when driving ? Don’t understand why you would need to . But spray our shoes with Lysol before getting back in our car after been out .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:11 PM   #127

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I gave my daughter the P100 filters and masks back when the hospital couldn't get any, so we use homemade. Going to be pain trying to replace what I gave away.

We have to wear them anytime we are in a business. No word on how long this will go on for. Got to wait another 3 weeks till we can try to get an appointment for a hair cut. Some of us need such.

I don't wear one in the car.

We/ve gotten over the initial scare, no mare disinfecting the groceries or handling packages with gloves.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #128

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Out for my daily walk I very rarely see anyone wearing a mask, but most folks are really good about distancing.

I used hand sanitiser a couple times many years ago, and really don't like the stuff. But I have washed my hands well with soap and water way more than I ever did before.

We do have small family gatherings. Around the campfire we sit as couples a distance apart, but really, both my brothers have worked for me and fairly close at hand, I drove the 2 days with one to pick up his beautiful new 19. I have been working with a neighbour on a retaining wall and fence a fair bit in the last couple weeks, something impossible to do without being within 2m. While mostly keeping a good distance in the vast majority of instances, there are times it just can't be done.

Then there are the visits from my daughter, her husband and my 20 month old grandson. Impossible to not pick him up as he loves his hugs. Neither of us are affected by the darn virus, so all is good.

Actually, on thing I have noticed in building supply stores is folks are getting slacker about proper distancing. They are also having issues with bored people coming in just to shop around, something not allowed as you are only supposed to be there to pick up what you need, and get out.

Definitely looking for this to end, but until then......
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:17 PM   #129

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Got to wait another 3 weeks till we can try to get an appointment for a hair cut. Some of us need such.
Bob, just take on my hair style. Easy to do yourself whenever you want. Pretty much free too, except for that wee bit of electricity used by the clippers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:23 PM   #130

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Jim as far as masks go, you can't please everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
CedrWax2.jpg  
Old 05-18-2020, 10:33 PM   #131

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Bob, just take on my hair style. Easy to do yourself whenever you want. Pretty much free too, except for that wee bit of electricity used by the clippers.
Yeah Bob- like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Below_Zero_pster.jpg  
Old 05-18-2020, 10:35 PM   #132

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I read a description that it's like if somebody tries to pee on you, but they are wearing pants. You might get a little pee on you, but it's unlikely. However if somebody not wearing pants pees on you, you wearing pants isn't going to help a lot.
Read another description saying that if two layers of fabric can’t keep a fart from escaping, how can it keep a virus from escaping?
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:37 AM   #133
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Read another description saying that if two layers of fabric can’t keep a fart from escaping, how can it keep a virus from escaping?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #134

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
I am curious regarding the use of masks due to the pandemic. I know this varies lots with geographical location.

- I have seen a few folks wearing them when driving. Not sure what is a good reason to do so.
Removing your mask involves bringing your hands up to your face. I guess it would be prudent have the mask remain in place until one either washes or sanitizes their hands. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #135

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Removing your mask involves bringing your hands up to your face. I guess it would be prudent have the mask remain in place until one either washes or sanitizes their hands. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I usually remove my mask from either my ears or the back of my head. Why would you grab the mask from your mouth and nose? If you wash your hands or sanitize it would not matter.

We live in downtown Houston and 50% or less are wearing a mask in enclosed spaces. We went out of town and stopped at a huge truck stop and less then 10% of the people had mask. Not sure what others motivations are but we wear a mask inside enclosed spaces. We use hand sanitizer after getting in the car and wash our hands when we arrive home. Most important we don’t touch our face, nose, mouth and eyes when we are out even with a mask.
Glens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #136

There's a new study to make us laugh about masks. It confirms that it's not the cough that kills everybody. Before you cough if you have it and you talk, tiny droplets get sprayed into the air around you. They can linger about for several minutes.

Good luck with that, eh?
Attached Thumbnails
virus1a.jpg  
Old 05-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #137
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
There's a new study to make us laugh about masks. It confirms that it's not the cough that kills everybody. Before you cough if you have it and you talk, tiny droplets get sprayed into the air around you. They can linger about for several minutes.
Your comment reminded me of my fathers (too) often used line about coughs...

"It's not the cough that carries you off, it's the coffin they carry you off in."

This from a man that survived pneumonia several times, 5 way bypass, knee replacement, aortic aneurism and broken hip, plus smoking since age 8 (claimed). He died in his 90th year.
My grandfather was gassed in WW1 at Passchendaele, survived Spanish flu, WW2, tuberculosis, and was in his 87th year when he died.

It'll be interesting to see how long this virus will be sticking around. It took over 2 years for the Spanish flu to expire.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #138

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post

Good luck with that, eh?
Hmmmm, the scientific information I’ve read say the spread of infectious droplets from a carrier is exponential with a cough or sneeze. Many doctors and other experts say that can be reduced as much as 50% with a cloth face mask. If you get some social distancing along with that and don’t touch your clothing and wash your hands afterward you diminish your chance of infection. Heat and humidity kills the droplets much quicker then a cooler or enclosed environment.

Our circumstances require more thought and disciplined behavior and it’s a pain. Ignore everything and your chances of not getting covid are still pretty good but I won’t take that risk and I will avoid those situations that put me at more risk. If someone is infected and they sneeze on you or cough on you they increase the chance of infection exponentially. I think we all agree everyone will do what they feel is best and for some there will be very little to change their every day life.
Glens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:00 AM   #139

I'm a 77 year old man with diabetes, but not too obese ...Just a flower surrounded by thorns, like all of us, trying to stay alive. .
Attached Thumbnails
cactusbloom1.jpg  
Old 05-19-2020, 11:23 AM   #140

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Nobody ever says, "he smoked all his life and lived to the age of 90, but the last twenty years of his life sucked. He had COPD and Peripheral Arterial Disease, couldn't walk any distance. Couldn't spend his retirement fly fishing or gardening" Nobody mentions that part.