How to get a used trailer across the border to Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2020, 11:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 17B gen 2
How to get a used trailer across the border to Canada

Back in February we found the perfect used 17B for sale on this site , made the deal and put down a deposit. The trailer was in the US and we are in Canada but no big deal, just a bit more paperwork , and only about 7 hours away. But then covid-19 hit the fan. Month after month the border stayed closed with no end in sight. I even tried to cross the border after calling the US border service who told me it was up to the discretion of the border officer if I could cross or not. Well that didn't go very well. Eventually I got talking to a local customs broker who is also a bonded commercial carrier and he said that he could pick it up in the states and bring it across and do the paperwork . He was making regular trips across picking up items. Exchanged payment and paperwork with Linda the seller who was nice enough to meet him halfway and now after about 5 months our Escape is sitting in our yard ! A happy ending to a long ordeal.
slateriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
YAY! And kudos to a very patient seller!
Old 08-18-2020, 09:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateriver View Post
Back in February we found the perfect used 17B for sale on this site , made the deal and put down a deposit. The trailer was in the US and we are in Canada but no big deal, just a bit more paperwork , and only about 7 hours away. But then covid-19 hit the fan. Month after month the border stayed closed with no end in sight. I even tried to cross the border after calling the US border service who told me it was up to the discretion of the border officer if I could cross or not. Well that didn't go very well. Eventually I got talking to a local customs broker who is also a bonded commercial carrier and he said that he could pick it up in the states and bring it across and do the paperwork . He was making regular trips across picking up items. Exchanged payment and paperwork with Linda the seller who was nice enough to meet him halfway and now after about 5 months our Escape is sitting in our yard ! A happy ending to a long ordeal.
Thanks for this update, I know a lot of buyers and sellers will appreciate hearing of your long awaited success.
Now to get out and enjoy your trailer.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17b
Perfect, could you give us an idea of the costs involved?
Kootenay couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay couple View Post
Perfect, could you give us an idea of the costs involved?
I would like to know as well...and does he work to bring trailers from Canada to the US? As soon as I find our 5.0 I want to be sure we can get it home if it happens to be in a Canadian yard right now :-)
Jgntch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:40 AM   #6

The person that did it for me is a young guy that started his small importing/broker business about a year ago before the pandemic started and has been very busy this year , as can be imagined. Our trailer was the first trailer that he imported so it was a learning experience for him. Because of that he charged us a minimal amount, only a couple hundred , so we lucked out. The border is only about 30 minutes from where we live and the farthest I believe he goes is Duluth which is about 3 hours away. He was going there anyways and that is where he picked up the trailer. If we didn't find him the alternative was to contact a customs broker to handle the paperwork and get a commercial carrier , probably a towing company to physically bring it across the border. Would definitely be easier right now to buy within the country you are in , but the option is there if you have time to make a lot of phone calls and put up with some hassle. It finally worked for us and we are planning our first short trip at the beginning of September.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Congratulations! Perseverance paid-off. Glad this didn't cost you too much and your 17 arrived safely. There are still many more months to be able to enjoy it.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
The person that did it for me is a young guy that started his small importing/broker business about a year ago before the pandemic started and has been very busy this year , as can be imagined. Our trailer was the first trailer that he imported so it was a learning experience for him. Because of that he charged us a minimal amount, only a couple hundred , so we lucked out. The border is only about 30 minutes from where we live and the farthest I believe he goes is Duluth which is about 3 hours away. He was going there anyways and that is where he picked up the trailer. If we didn't find him the alternative was to contact a customs broker to handle the paperwork and get a commercial carrier , probably a towing company to physically bring it across the border. Would definitely be easier right now to buy within the country you are in , but the option is there if you have time to make a lot of phone calls and put up with some hassle. It finally worked for us and we are planning our first short trip at the beginning of September.
Hi: slateriver... As the Newfies say, "Lard tunderin' Jaysus", that's quite a tale!!! It probably still needs the $200. Canadian Tire look at the trailers systems certificate for licensing.
Happy campin'. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:54 PM   #9

I wish RIV fee was $200. I think it was about $340 for the guy at canadian tire to look at the certification sticker , look at one tire and pass it. He was also trying to tell me I needed another form and I had to tell him that the form he meant is now paperless. What a joke to need an inspection so a trailer can be licensed in Canada when it is made in Canada.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I
What a joke to need an inspection so a trailer can be licensed in Canada when it is made in Canada.
That's the way it is when you want to bring a trailer or car into BC when it's been registered in another jurisdiction. We gave our niece in Calgary one of our cars. She had to get the Alberta inspections. Then she moved to BC and had to get the BC inspections.

Still, I've imported trailers, motorcycles and cars from the US. At the end of the day it's still a pretty simple trouble free thing to do.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote