Isolation cooking - Page 16 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #301

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Have you ever tried smoked spam or smoked bologna or sweet pickled cured and smoked pork shoulder ?
Got the smoked pork shoulder covered. All the others would be new to me. What a joy it would be to go out back, cut out some apple wood (the best kind) and start smoking. Wow!

I bought two spare ribs, not quite St. Louis cut, but nice. Gonna smoke them up this weekend with a chicken or two and invite the kids up to distance with us. Got the idea from you guys. Thanks for that.

Pics to follow cause this is definitely gonna happen!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #302

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I use hickory for pork ribs. Apple for chicken.
https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitc...d-smoking-meat
Old 05-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #303

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I use hickory for pork ribs. Apple for chicken.
https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitc...d-smoking-meat
I usually save what I trim off the trees in February. I’ve smoked whole small trout using chips from a Spring Snow Flowering Crab that we had at our first house too. Worked well. There’s a lot of shagbark hickory in eastern Iowa in the small timbers. My son has a small smoker that has the water pan included and he’s pretty good with it. I bought him a bag of alder chips a year or two back and he’s used that wood since. Alder will grow here but it’s not native. Some like it for pork or chicken. Smoking brine recipes and smoking wood can get pretty esoteric whether they need to or not.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #304

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You guys stick with your Spam. I've got a rack of baby back ribs on the grill as I type!
Old 05-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #305

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Got a pork butt to put on around midnight, we could have a pretty good party tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #306

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Smoking ribs tomorrow.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:15 PM   #307

Comment in one of my BBQ books says that hickory makes everything taste like ham. Which, I guess, is why I use it for pork ribs and shoulders.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #308

Hickory

I don’t think you have native hickory out in your area do you Glenn? I did not look in the book for the range on varieties. Pecan is a hickory too. We have a little bit of native pecan in extreme SE Iowa. It Will grow in our area but depends on a micro climate situation to thrive. The pecans are very small on the Carya Illionensis but tasty. About a fifth the size of commercial pecans. Takes a bunch for a pie. Hickory nuts are plentiful and very tasty too in cookies.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #309

I buy the hickory in bags at an outrageous price.
I picked up a pork shoulder on sale once and paid more per pound for the smoker chips than the meat.
Attached Thumbnails
BBQ Smok'n.jpg  
Old 05-24-2020, 06:01 AM   #310

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I don’t think you have native hickory out in your area do you Glenn? I did not look in the book for the range on varieties. Pecan is a hickory too. We have a little bit of native pecan in extreme SE Iowa. It Will grow in our area but depends on a micro climate situation to thrive. The pecans are very small on the Carya Illionensis but tasty. About a fifth the size of commercial pecans. Takes a bunch for a pie. Hickory nuts are plentiful and very tasty too in cookies.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... We have a lot of "Native" nuts!!! Some of them even blow a lot of smoke. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:37 AM   #311

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Wow, that price is a steal. Sounds like you are ready for some fine eating. Hope all is well. Stay safe and wash your hands.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:44 AM   #312

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
W went camping with the same group of work friends for 20+ years. The group varied between 10-20 people depending on the year. The highlight was the Spam cook off. Many delicious and inventive dishes over the years. From appetizers to entrees, from sweet to savory, from main dish to dessert it was always the best part of the weekend.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:49 AM   #313

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think we have another spammer..........
Old 05-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #314

You never know

Hi Ralph
And to think we’ve camped with you about a half a dozen times or more and never knew you were a SPAM family. Hope you’re holding up ok during this Covid 19 pandemic. Not much fun getting refunds on the credit card for camping reservations. Hope
To see you on the road soon.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-24-2020, 07:33 AM   #315

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Man, you guys have me wanting to get that replacement smoker. I used to do so much but had to abandon a worn out and rusting cheaper smoker. Just love the foods I smoked in it.

A new beginning

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8745.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	47157

And just before the feast

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8751.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	47158
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #316

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
I've been learning how to bake bread. Finding yeast and flour has been a bit of a challenge as lots of people apparently are doing the same.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0457.jpg  
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #317

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
I've been learning how to bake bread. Finding yeast and flour has been a bit of a challenge as lots of people apparently are doing the same.
Both are finally becoming more available here. I had ordered a pound of yeast a few weeks ago and checked the other day and it was now available for half as much, sooner, so cancelled the first order and reordered. (I have four packets left to last me until that comes.) I always bake so it was unexpected to me to have a run on flour and yeast! March 7 when I first stocked up for the duration I just bought one bag of flour and figured I had enough yeast. It more than a month before I found flour on the shelf again and I still haven't seen yeast on my weekly trip to the grocery.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #318

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Both are finally becoming more available here. I had ordered a pound of yeast a few weeks ago and checked the other day and it was now available for half as much, sooner, so cancelled the first order and reordered. (I have four packets left to last me until that comes.) I always bake so it was unexpected to me to have a run on flour and yeast! March 7 when I first stocked up for the duration I just bought one bag of flour and figured I had enough yeast. It more than a month before I found flour on the shelf again and I still haven't seen yeast on my weekly trip to the grocery.
I had to order a pound of yeast for an inflated price on eBay. It will easily last me a year or more (good until Nov 2021) so even at 3x normal price it was worth it to be able to bake the bread.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #319

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
I had to order a pound of yeast for an inflated price on eBay. It will easily last me a year or more (good until Nov 2021) so even at 3x normal price it was worth it to be able to bake the bread.
I used up all mine but a dear friend sent me 6 packets and those will get me through until the lb arrives from Amazon (likely the same day it reappears in the store!)

I used the limited availability of flour to try a few more expensive bread flours. Picked up Bob's Red MIll Artisan bread flour finally- it's interesting, the gluten develops more easily than their regular, but I didn't think the flavor was any improvement and it was actually. harder to use for pizza dough as it wouldn't stretch as easily. Haven't broken into the King Arthur bread flour yet. Also got a "cheap" bag of generic white and that was nowhere near as good as the regular Bob's Red Mill.

I like seeing other people learning to bake- I learned with the bread machine! Trying to figure out how to get consistent results, I would stop after the knead cycle and check the consistency of the dough, and either add water or flour or knead again. It gave me a good sense of what bread dough should look like and feel like and made me aware of how sensitive it is to atmospheric conditions. Then a few years ago I started baking again with rolls.

Still working on the perfect cinnamon roll- has to be something I can do camping and bake in a Dutch oven.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #320

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Bobbie, I volunteer to be a tester for the Dutch oven cinnamon rolls. I will do the dishes.

Just name the time and place.

Maybe the rally can be a spam and baked goods one!