Isolation cooking - Page 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #361

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Might try rubbing the skin with baking powder. Think I saw that on America's Test Kitchen.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #362

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The ancestry showed some Scandinavian DNA. Those rascal Vikings went anywhere they wanted. And a thousand years later, Red hair shows up. Go figure.
And here’s his cousin at three. The two of them together are formidable. Both have red hair, different shades. The three year old greets me with “What a Muskrat“ where did he get that?
Iowa Dave
Good for you! Makes me smile.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #363

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Might try rubbing the skin with baking powder. Think I saw that on America's Test Kitchen.

Worth a try, thanks
Old 05-28-2020, 08:04 PM   #364

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
No Spam, no pork roll, I'm going through withdrawal as I type. Speaking of SPAM, I have contacted several cg located near Austin, MN asking about facilities and discounts, awaiting replies.....sent an email to SPAM about some schwag, never heard back. Will try phone next.
So Jim did you have any idea for dates? I'd suggest the weekend after the Miss. Rendezvous then we could all putter through Iowa checking out their state parks which after Oct. 1 charge only $11 a night! Or Dave's place but he's likely more expensive Also it would be on the way home for us.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #365

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
So Jim did you have any idea for dates? I'd suggest the weekend after the Miss. Rendezvous then we could all putter through Iowa checking out their state parks which after Oct. 1 charge only $11 a night! Or Dave's place but he's likely more expensive Also it would be on the way home for us.
Adrian , that’s a great idea , you’ve got our vote , Early October in Iowa is beautiful with great camping weather .
My wife and I can visits all the places on our bucket list - Atkins Iowa , Polashek’s Meat Locker , Cedar Ridge Winery , Templeton Distillery , Lansing Iowa , the John Deere plant , Iowa’s only Civil War Battlefield, and a thousand more places I can’t think of

MacIntosh Woods SP near Clear Lake Iowa is a nice park / campgrounds and not far from the famous Surf Ballroom

I am sure Iowa’s good will ambassador Dave Smith could help with the itinerary .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:39 AM   #366

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This is some good information on Iowa state parks. I have looked into Ohio and Indiana locations on the great lakes and I found Indiana, like Michigan charge an out of state fee which when added to the other fees makes it less palatable for a nice camping experience. I thought it would be nice in and around Austin, MN for campgrounds but there is not much there. In case anyone wanted to tour the Spam museum. Without the museum attraction, it can be anywhere. Let's focus on Iowa and Illinois and Ohio for something in October hopefully.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #367

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
congratulations to the Smith's today

Nancy and I just saw the greatest videos of Dave and Rita after 25 years and another after 50 years together. They certainly have a great 50 years together, our congratulations and wish them many more years.
AZjack and Nancy.
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #368

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Anniversary

Thanks for the kind words Jack and Nancy. 50 years goes by in the blink of an eye, doesn’t it?
Here’s a couple pictures, the first of which was taken 50 years ago today as we were loading up the 1950 F-1 Ford pickup with the 8ba flathead engine and three speed transmission,( on the column). There was no Interstate Highway in Montana but we pulled every pass from Billings to Lolo. I was a double clutching son of a b——. Now just the latter. The other two are of our lookout tower and quaint restroom facility on Lookout Butte on the Nez Perce National Forest where we lived at 55 feet for June,July and August spotting forest fires, feeding tired firefighters and watching golden eagles soar the thermals. Taking lightning strikes at night and lugging 10 gallon cream cans of water up 70 steps by day. And that was just the first three months of marriage. Hope everyone is going to have a great day. We are setting the Escape 21 up in the back yard by the fire ring for tonight. I’m making a sign for identification. I’ve named the 21 “Love Shack” for a one night and 50 years stand.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
E4605A43-B6F9-41A1-918C-45A09F28C47D.jpg   2985683E-3E69-4AB7-B1A7-ECD1858CA45Ca.jpg   34A2519A-88D2-483E-8799-50039EB04DD6a.jpg  
Old 05-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #369

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
So Dave I wonder who those very young looking people in the photo are?

Many congratulations to you both on your 50th. Hope to see you at the end of the summer!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #370

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It's good to see someone last so long, congrats to you both.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #371

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
All of lifes a stage!!!

Hi: Iowa Dave... Happy Ana voice airy!!! There was a time when we were only married half as long as you two... but we're catchin' up!!!
There's three stages in a marrage... 1/ Tri weekly. 2/ Try weekly 3/ Try weakly!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #372

Anniversary

Thanks Alf, Bob and Adrian
We appreciate it . Set the 21 up this AM at the fire ring for a STAnniversarY. Sometimes I forget who I am so made a sign to remind me and let the passing deer and raccoons know who set up in their trail and why.
Attached Thumbnails
C8463F32-9C9D-494D-93E6-8A80D4AB5687.jpg  
Old 05-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #373

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
We appreciate it . Set the 21 up this AM at the fire ring for a STAnniversarY. Sometimes I forget who I am so made a sign to remind me and let the passing deer and raccoons know who set up in their trail and why.
Hi: Iowa Dave... Cookin' up some bergs tonight. Glad my bbq is in the garage as we were chased in by La rain!!!
A fellow on TV last night said he went to see his friend in a LTC home with old timers disease. He asked if the old fellow knew who he was? The old man replied... if you're this old and you don't know... I'm not going to tell ya!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #374

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, DAVE AND RITA! Love the account of your first three months of marriage, as they remind me of my own early years, when love was able to transcend seemingly insurmountable odds. My marriage didn't survive the move to the bright lights and relative ease of Los Angeles; but I'm happy to know that yours did! (No wonder they call it the Heartland!) Blessings to you both, and may you enjoy many years to come.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:13 PM   #375
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Happy 50th Anniversary Dave and Rita!!!!! How wonderful to hear, and how fun to learn how you began your love journey together. We had plans to celebrate our 30th Anniversary last month on an epic road trip in our 21...but like you we celebrated at Camp MiCasa instead...never ever thought this would happen but decided to count all our blessings instead - our good health, family, friends and each other! Hopefully, we can plan a 'Take 2' next year!! BTW your grandson William is so adorable!! Looks just like my son at that age - red hair and all. He got such nice comments on his red hair from strangers almost daily when he was young, I was amazed. Many women would comment on how lucky he was to have that color for free! When he was little I would tell him, 'You're my favorite red-head!' and he would respond back, "You're my favorite yellow-head!' Congrats again on your special day!!!! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #376

Thanks

Ava and Bea, Thanks for your good wishes. We’re sure having fun with it today and it’s been quite a journey over the years. We don’t miss much due to the Covid 19 except our contacts with camping fiends across America and Canada. Pulled the Escape about a hundred Yard today, and set up in the yard, quite a change from the 17,000 miles we pulled last year. Looking forward and hoping for better days ahead. Thanks again
Iowa Dave and Rita.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #377

Well there may be a silver lining in this dark cloud of a pandemic. The restaurants are getting desperate and they come up with creative ways to sell. A local store advertised a happy hour 3-5 pm daily "Growler" special, $4 fill ups. Bring in your 64 0z growler/jug/2 qt bottles/half gallon plastic milk jug for a $4 fill up. I ordered a chicken cheesesteak to go and got my growler filled with some ice cold draft beer, drove home and suddenly, Life was a lot better, eating junk food and drinking draft beer!
Old 05-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #378

Quote:
Ava and Bea, Thanks for your good wishes. We’re sure having fun with it today and it’s been quite a journey over the years. We don’t miss much due to the Covid 19 except our contacts with camping fiends across America and Canada. Pulled the Escape about a hundred Yard today, and set up in the yard, quite a change from the 17,000 miles we pulled last year. Looking forward and hoping for better days ahead. Thanks again
Iowa Dave and Rita.
Dave must still be having a good time at home. It's good to know, he has not posted today, yet. He is a good husband....
Old 05-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #379

One night stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Dave must still be having a good time at home. It's good to know, he has not posted today, yet. He is a good husband....
And I’m not talking about the big bands touring America in the 30s. Escape worked out perfectly in the back yard. Had a nice fire in the fire ring, over night low was about 50. Ran the little electric heater on low. Broke camp this pm and towed about 150 feet and put it in the shed. Working in the garden today, onions were a little weedy, but looking good now. Considering further camping but not convinced we are at all out of the woods.
Thanks for all the congratulatory messages. Planting my last 180 corn seeds tomorrow and a few peppers and tomatoes my brother grew for me. Spuds are up and first 320 corn has spiked up since last Friday. Germination looks good. Time to catch a couple catfish for variety,
So maybe this week.
Hang in there Jim and don’t mess up that girlish figure
Iowa Dave
Old 05-31-2020, 10:29 AM   #380

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I finally found rye flour so I made a couple of loafs of rye bread. My recipe makes a fairly heavy bread, but this time a loaf might put me over the GVWR of my trailer.

I couldn't find traditional yeast, used bread machine yeast, and even though I followed the directions for using it in hand kneaded bread, the loafs only rose about half the usual amount. Still tastes great! Time to find some good Pastrami.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1695.jpg   IMG_1693 2.jpg