Isolation cooking - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, my new toaster has the bagel setting but because I kept the bagels refrigerated, it was cold one one side and hot/toasted on the other, in lieu of warm and hot. Live and learn...stay healthy .....
Old 03-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Lately, this isolation cooking has been going on for me well before the Covid-19 outbreak.

Working at home as a full time job, a change from working at customer's home, I have taken to eat quite healthy, Lisa too. Now with the staying at home a lot more due to the virus, it only lends to doing more of this. No calories more than we need, for the most part as there is still a few treats. Still eating lots of great foods, last night was great chicken filling tortillas, breakfast today is cottage cheese with lots of fruits and some slivered almonds, all very yummy. (sorry, no photos)

Dairy Queen now hates me, as I might have had 10 Blizzards since my fall last April, not my usual 2 per week. Being around home more sees me eating less fast food lunches too.

Being the lightest I have been in over 25 years, and enjoying being a lot more agile, and just plain feeling better, is such a great feeling. I do a lot of stairs during the day while working, and am back to going up and down two at a time, something I had stepped away from a few years back. I know, I am weird.

Still, I look at yummy looking, higher calorie dish like some displayed here, and it makes me wonder about doing up a nice cheater meal.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #23

JIm, was your fall somehow connected to your weight or your old diet?
Old 03-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Lately, this isolation cooking has been going on for me well before the Covid-19 outbreak.

Working at home as a full time job, a change from working at customer's home, I have taken to eat quite healthy, Lisa too. Now with the staying at home a lot more due to the virus, it only lends to doing more of this. No calories more than we need, for the most part as there is still a few treats. Still eating lots of great foods, last night was great chicken filling tortillas, breakfast today is cottage cheese with lots of fruits and some slivered almonds, all very yummy. (sorry, no photos)

Dairy Queen now hates me, as I might have had 10 Blizzards since my fall last April, not my usual 2 per week. Being around home more sees me eating less fast food lunches too.

Being the lightest I have been in over 25 years, and enjoying being a lot more agile, and just plain feeling better, is such a great feeling. I do a lot of stairs during the day while working, and am back to going up and down two at a time, something I had stepped away from a few years back. I know, I am weird.

Still, I look at yummy looking, higher calorie dish like some displayed here, and it makes me wonder about doing up a nice cheater meal.
Hi: Jim Bennett... I always thought you were a little "Stair crazy"!!! No fun going out for a "Blizzard" now either!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

This is what we try to do. We live pretty simply and once in a while we do something nice. We make our own pizza including dough, and create small, simple but perfect pizzas.

Small meals and grazing thru the day on nuts, fruits and I wish vegetables. I am not so good there.

The enchiladas came about because we wanted to throw a chicken in the pot and make some stock and soup. We are eating homemade chicken soup all week for lunch. So healing!

I agree that it does make us feel better and thinner. I think we have more fun too.

Everything in balance!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Egg recipes

Alf your comment about finding bagels made me think about our eggs. The story...

On our three day push home last week we stopped at Costco Maple Grove MN for gas near opening time and Beth noticed the line up to store was moving so though good I'll pick up a few things. First into the store she wondered why everyone was running, literally running through the store. Well they had one pallet of TP Among her purchases was five dozen eggs (on sale) thinking we'd share with our son here in town once we got home. He doesn't want them since he is concerned both ways that we have the virus and could spread to him or vice versa.

So.. if anyone knows how to consume these eggs in the next few week please post of PM us some recipes.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #27

Hard boil them, peel and pickle them with beets, they will keep a long time....one of my favorites...pickled hb eggs.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #28

Trailer: ?
[QUOTE=emers382;328901

So.. if anyone knows how to consume these eggs in the next few week please post of PM us some recipes.[/QUOTE]

Among our favorites.

Frittatas.

Easy, healthy with the right ingredients, filling.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #29

Hi: emers382... Rum & Eggnog... Egg drop soup, Egg noodles, Egg Foo Young, oh sorry that's chinese food. LoL Alf
Old 03-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You can freeze eggs, got to take them out of the shells though.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #31

Hi: emers382... Forgot about Quiche. Real men do eat it!!! Alf
Old 03-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
For those getting down to the meat you bought last fall and forgot about in the freezer... I had some tri tip roasts that had freezer burn. Popped into the instant pot with a little water (works with peppers, too, without water), spices, some soy sauce, onion garlic, cooked 30 minutes on high pressure, then drained off broth and added cheese to melt. Instant pot cheesesteak! Turned out great and the meat was as tender as could be.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: emers382... Forgot about Quiche. Real men do eat it!!! Alf
Eggs keep a long time. Put them in the refrigerator they will be fine. We used to buy a 30 dozen case at the egg buying station about a week before Thanksgiving. We kept them against the north wall in the unheated upstairs. We would eat the last ones about the first of April. Never had a bad one. I put 5 dozen in our refrigerator about two weeks ago. They were
$.99 a dozen. Still have three dozen. I have two or three for breakfast one time per week. Most go for cooking. My Cholesterol is 117 down from about 230 years ago so I don’t worry about that. Iowa is right at the top in egg production in the USA. It ain’t like when grandma had a few layers with nests all over the place. Remember those wire egg baskets. Do put all your eggs in just one.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Since we are at home and have time on our hands we decided to be optimistic and made up , and froze some hamburger patties , pizza burgers ,brat patties , sausage gravy ,breakfast sausage and breakfast steaks to hopefully take camping later this Summer
I also cooked up and bottled a batch of Wisconsin Fireball brandy to hopefully pass around the campfire .
Homemade soup , chili and beef stew are next on our list
This morning we made our reservations for the Mississippi River Rendevous in September
Hopefully the rally will be a go cause a Summer without Iowa Dave is like a Summer without sunshine .

PS ; Dave your bottle of Wisconsin Fireball is safely packed away and stored in our trailer !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #35

I always thought your needed a special license to cross state lines with Fireball...........
Old 03-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #36

Tonites dinner, homemade chicken noodle soup with french bread for dipping, on a miserable, damp Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1419.jpg   IMG_1420.jpg  
Old 03-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Chicken soup is always a battle at our house. I like to add a couple or three tablespoons of Major's Chicken Concentrate to boost the flavour. Leslie thinks it has too much sodium ( as it should, by the way ). And I prefer the dumplings my great aunt used to make, dense, solid and closer to spatzle. She likes them large and fluffy.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
JIm, was your fall somehow connected to your weight or your old diet?
Not directly, but when I finally started doing physio to help correct all the hip and lower back stress caused from the fall, that did lead into even more physical exercise, and then I started back into the home reno in a hard way, which along with home eating and eating better proportions (something that was always a fault with me), I started to gradually and consistently loose some weight.

I have always said it would be great to get under 200 lbs, but never actually thought I would make it. Now that I have I am certainly very happy about it. Finally got rid of those darn "love muschles".
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... I always thought you were a little "Stair crazy"!!! No fun going out for a "Blizzard" now either!!! Alf
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
This is what we try to do. We live pretty simply and once in a while we do something nice. We make our own pizza including dough, and create small, simple but perfect pizzas.

Small meals and grazing thru the day on nuts, fruits and I wish vegetables. I am not so good there.

The enchiladas came about because we wanted to throw a chicken in the pot and make some stock and soup. We are eating homemade chicken soup all week for lunch. So healing!

I agree that it does make us feel better and thinner. I think we have more fun too.

Everything in balance!
We to make pizza at home on occasion. We only buy it from a store when in a rush for it. Same with most any fast food, something that has been almost non-existent for near a year now.

We do graze eating most days during the day, for snack and lunches. Lots of veggies, and bits of other stuff too.

I love enchiladas. In the last 10 years Lisa has taken to making many different Mexican style dishes, and I just love them all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Chicken soup is always a battle at our house. I like to add a couple or three tablespoons of Major's Chicken Concentrate to boost the flavour. Leslie thinks it has too much sodium ( as it should, by the way ). And I prefer the dumplings my great aunt used to make, dense, solid and closer to spatzle. She likes them large and fluffy.
This recipe called for 8 cups water, I substituted 2 cups of chicken stock....
Old 03-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

Hey Glenn I vote for Leslie’s soup and your great aunts dumpling.