Isolation cooking - Page 20 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2020, 10:39 AM   #381

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Looks good Jon, but not as good as your blueberry pies............
Old 05-31-2020, 10:40 AM   #382

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Pastrami?

Hi: Vermilye... You'll have to go to New York cause you can't get Montreal smoked meat till the border opens up!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #383

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Mmmmmm, pastrami on rye with yellow mustard. The best!
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #384

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Congratulations Dave and Rita to 50 years of married bliss.
Yeah, time flies, doesn't it?Happy trails to you,until we meet again, in Osoyoos.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:19 PM   #385

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Looks good Jon, but not as good as your blueberry pies............
You would need to try it. The rye bread recipe is another one that has developed over 40 years...
Old 05-31-2020, 01:23 PM   #386

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Been trying to find pastrami here, all the deli counters are closed so no go.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:02 PM   #387

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I finally found rye flour so I made a couple of loafs of rye bread. My recipe makes a fairly heavy bread, but this time a loaf might put me over the GVWR of my trailer. I couldn't find traditional yeast, used bread machine yeast, and even though I followed the directions for using it in hand kneaded bread, the loafs only rose about half the usual amount. Still tastes great! Time to find some good Pastrami.
I so miss rye bread, and yours looks so yummy that I went online and found three gluten-free recipes to try. Based on my experience with making other breads, I know that none will taste like "real" rye bread, (and gluten-free breads have problems with rising). Still, something's generally better than nothing! Thanks for the inspiration!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:54 PM   #388

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I finally got yeast!
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:03 PM   #389

Went back to local carry out, BOGO set of wings and $5 fill up of your growler. 64 oz....I had put the empty in my freezer and it is nice and cold right now......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1562.jpg   IMG_1563.jpg   IMG_1565.jpg   IMG_1567.jpg   IMG_1568.jpg  

IMG_1570.jpg  
Old 05-31-2020, 09:43 PM   #390

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Bornestig View Post
Congratulations Dave and Rita to 50 years of married bliss.
Yeah, time flies, doesn't it?Happy trails to you,until we meet again, in Osoyoos.
Thanks Alan. Back to gardening and home maintenance. Osoyoos next year, it’s a date.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #391

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
This is some good information on Iowa state parks. I have looked into Ohio and Indiana locations on the great lakes and I found Indiana, like Michigan charge an out of state fee which when added to the other fees makes it less palatable for a nice camping experience. I thought it would be nice in and around Austin, MN for campgrounds but there is not much there. In case anyone wanted to tour the Spam museum. Without the museum attraction, it can be anywhere. Let's focus on Iowa and Illinois and Ohio for something in October hopefully.
Sorry I am so late responding to this comment, but I have been out camping in my new 5.0TA.

I would strongly suggest you to consider Michigan! Michigan is in my top 5 states and for great reasons. The West coast of Michigan is without equal. The sand dunes are a thousand feet high and access to water is everywhere. The camping is great, the water sports are extremely varied and everywhere. The inland lakes are even better than the big lakes and the rivers can mostly be floated. The fishing is always outstanding!

There are cliffs, bluffs and views into the very clear lakes. Michigan has more faces than almost any other state. The only downside is the state bird, the Mosquito.

Here are a few pics. The last one includes my two daughters.
Attached Thumbnails
T03_1741.jpg   T03_1911.jpg   T03_1989.jpg   T03_3624.jpg   T03_2417.jpg  

UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:29 AM   #392

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Wow, stand back, I'm outta here! I wish. Never been before.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #393

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Sorry I am so late responding to this comment, but I have been out camping in my new 5.0TA.

I would strongly suggest you to consider Michigan! Michigan is in my top 5 states and for great reasons. The West coast of Michigan is without equal. The sand dunes are a thousand feet high and access to water is everywhere. The camping is great, the water sports are extremely varied and everywhere. The inland lakes are even better than the big lakes and the rivers can mostly be floated. The fishing is always outstanding!

There are cliffs, bluffs and views into the very clear lakes. Michigan has more faces than almost any other state. The only downside is the state bird, the Mosquito.

Here are a few pics. The last one includes my two daughters.
As a native Michigander I thank you for your post.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #394

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
The only downside is the state bird, the Mosquito.
Sorry but the mosquito is the state bird of Minnesota not Michigan And since we're adjacent to MN our provincial bird in Manitoba is also the mosquito. So far this year we've only seen one but that will likely change.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #395

I was impressed with Michigan's Algonac SP being right on the canal connecting the lakes, but the daily out of state fees and other non native fees turned me off. Iowa, like Dave pointed out offers discounts as do the feds. Indiana charges similarly to Michigan and they also have dunes on the eastern side of Lake Michigan!
Old 06-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #396

Like many on here I’ve camped every state in the upper Midwest and of course many other states and provinces. In states where the legislature has mandated revenue generation to the degree that operations for specialty activities (camping) must be self supporting through fees, from a philosophical standpoint, I can agree with this. However in no way can I agree with out of state fees and do not agree with profit driven recreation in the public sector. I’ve camped Michigan many times, Upper and Lower peninsula. It’s nice but I do not like their fee structure. I camped Algonac a couple years ago and it was a zoo with virtually no site to site inspection on a regular basis. So I will be visiting thousands of alternative parks before I return (as in never). I support operations I know to be professionally operated in my opinion.
I see governments everywhere spending dollars with very little positive return, including my own county and state. Yet fees continue to increase.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #397

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
I was impressed with Michigan's Algonac SP being right on the canal connecting the lakes, but the daily out of state fees and other non native fees turned me off. Iowa, like Dave pointed out offers discounts as do the feds. Indiana charges similarly to Michigan and they also have dunes on the eastern side of Lake Michigan!
I can't comment on the fees. I just can't remember. But I would caution you if you are planning on visiting the Indiana Dunes (Michigan City). I was born and raised in South Bend Indiana, that exact coastline was our target all thru high school and beyond. I am not going to besmirch the area, but I will say this. It is never even considered as a choice.

Michigan is unique. Nothing is even close if you like Great Lakes lifestyle. They claim to be the beer state. They mean it! I'm looking at you Jim!

It sounds like they overcharge on the fees, but OMG! I would also give very high marks to Wisconsin's lake district as well as Minnesota's lake areas. I love all of that and consider it special. Michigan has four great lakes and is mostly sand and gravel. It is wild! Even the ditches have big fish in them. For those of us that have come to know it, there is nothing in comparison.

I like to think I get around too, like many of you. I have seen lots of this craton, and I know this to be true. One boat ride or hike to Pictured Rocks National Shoreline and you should be hooked. Or go cherry picking in Traverse bay. Make sure you have at least 10 perch sandwiches along the way. They will all be fresh.

One word of caution right now. Lake Michigan is as high as it has ever been right now. South Haven (our favorite) has closed down the entire marina due to this. You cannot walk out on any peers right now, they are too slippery. The very long walks on the beach have been shortened or eliminated due to extreme high water. There are areas you can still walk.

Okay you guys take the mosquitos, we have giant horse flies!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #398

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Mosquito? Wait a minute, I have been in Minnesota and I was told this flyer is the state bird.
Attached Thumbnails
fish1.jpg  
Old 06-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #399

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
BBQ

Has anyone used or considered this charcoal unit?
Looks intriguing. I am working up a pros and cons list.

https://www.gobqgrills.com/

HarleyD
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #400

I have an . Propose to the company you will be a field tester for them in extensive camping test conditions and will document your use in this forum for the summer. They provide the grill for free. Then for every escape owner that buys one with the company “coupon” you post you they get $10 off their purchase price and/or free Shipping. You get a free grill, Escape owners get a discount and the company gets their product Introduced to a discrimInating market. It’s a win win win.
Iowa Dave