Isolation cooking - Page 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #401

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
Has anyone used or considered this charcoal unit?
Looks intriguing. I am working up a pros and cons list.

https://www.gobqgrills.com/

HarleyD

One con, among many, is that many campgrounds don't allow the use of charcoal fires, especially during fire season.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #402

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I carry both a propane and a charcoal. Traded the 12" Smokey Joe for a 14" Jumbo Joe last winter as I was cooking for 3 or 4 instead of 2. The bigger grate works better for indirect too. I use the propane when using charcoal poses a problem.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #403

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, too many moving parts to break, considering that it's just a container for charcoal. I'd look for a Hibachi, if I wanted to cook over charcoal.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #404

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
I’ve been waiting to use this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I have an . Propose to the company you will be a field tester for them in extensive camping test conditions and will document your use in this forum for the summer. They provide the grill for free. Then for every escape owner that buys one with the company “coupon” you post you they get $10 off their purchase price and/or free Shipping. You get a free grill, Escape owners get a discount and the company gets their product Introduced to a discrimInating market. It’s a win win win.
Iowa Dave
Sorry, not interested. They need someone that uses a BBQ much more than I do. Just stumbled on to it and had not seen anything quite like it, interesting concept. Looks ideal for a sandy beach setting.
THX!

HarleyD
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #405

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I cooked a steak in a cast iron skillet on my propane bbq this week. I heated the skillet 10 min first, seared the steak in the skillet 1-2 min each side depending on thickness, finished in skillet indirect heat til desired temp.

Also had my first ear of sweet corn this year yesterday. It was store bought but it was really good. Soaked in water a couple min with husks on, then microwave about 6 min but caution--I have a small 950 watt microwave so yours will likely take less time. Use a dishtowel to hold the corn while removing husks...it will be pretty hot/steamy. My favorite topping is pesto, or butter and trader joe's chili lime seasoning. I forgot I had trader joe's Everything but the Elote blend--salt, chile pepper, cheese, chipotle and cumin. I will try that next time!!
Old 06-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #406

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
How did the steak turn out?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:05 PM   #407

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I cooked a steak in a cast iron skillet on my propane bbq this week. I heated the skillet 10 min first, seared the steak in the skillet 1-2 min each side depending on thickness, finished in skillet indirect heat til desired temp.

Also had my first ear of sweet corn this year yesterday. It was store bought but it was really good. Soaked in water a couple min with husks on, then microwave about 6 min but caution--I have a small 950 watt microwave so yours will likely take less time. Use a dishtowel to hold the corn while removing husks...it will be pretty hot/steamy. My favorite topping is pesto, or butter and trader joe's chili lime seasoning. I forgot I had trader joe's Everything but the Elote blend--salt, chile pepper, cheese, chipotle and cumin. I will try that next time!!
Love husk-soaked and steamed sweet corn but usually stick it on the grill and never thought of microwaving. I'll certainly try it! 😋

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #408

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Love husk-soaked and steamed sweet corn but usually stick it on the grill and never thought of microwaving. I'll certainly try it! 😋
I've done both, and while I prefer grilled, one advantage of using a microwave (other than time) is you can use a sharp knife to cut off the butt end and squeeze out the corn, leaving the silk behind.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #409

The steak was really good. My grilling skills are hit and miss, usually because I have a hard time finding the right heat setting. It was the best one I have done in awhile, i think partly because there was no direct flareup. I have a ceramic cooktop in this house so I can't use the cast iron on it...I had to drag the skillet out of the back of the cupboard. It was a wedding gift 1973 from the housemother of my dorm!

I find the silk just slips off the ear along with the husks even if opened from the top. I'm a Nebraska girl...give me summer corn and sliced tomatoes, I'm blissed out.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #410

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Corn

This talk of corn makes my mouth water except that we have been buying "sweet" corn from the stores, delivered of course. We are waiting to see Olathe corn from Colorado. The best we have available. Of course Dave will disagree with me, but Iowa is too far. We are familiar with Iowa corn as a result of a trip years ago when we rode our bicycles on a path in Iowa that was an old railroad right of way if I remember right. There was very tall corn on both sides of the path which made Nancy a little nervous.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #411

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My dad told me that as a kid he and his brothers would smoke the corn silk in rolled up cigarette paper, they could not afford tobacco.....and if my memory is correct back in the early 60's there was a cabbage leaf cigarette being sold, as an alternative to the tobacco carcinogens.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #412

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My dad told me that as a kid he and his brothers would smoke the corn silk in rolled up cigarette paper, they could not afford tobacco.....and if my memory is correct back in the early 60's there was a cabbage leaf cigarette being sold, as an alternative to the tobacco carcinogens.
We used those for smoking on stage since many actors didn't want to smoke tobacco, and later the university went "smoke free". They sure stunk!
Old 06-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #413

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The corn in our area is barely out of the ground and if we don’t get some warm weather the corn won’t be knee high by the 4th of July . Homegrown sweet corn is about 10 weeks away

When I was younger I rolled cigarettes using corn silk or pipe tobacco I stole from my grandfather .
In the county where my mom grew up they grew chewing / snuff tobacco . We use to steal a leaf off the shed wall where it was hung to dry , cut off a hunk with our pocket knife and chew it .
When your young , broke and stupid , you can be very resourceful !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #414

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bravo cigarettes....Bravo Smokes — The Lettuce Cigarette
Old 06-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #415

What happens when you smoke it?
Old 06-07-2020, 09:46 PM   #416

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
What happens when you smoke it?
Hi: UncleTim... When you find out... lettuce know!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:42 PM   #417

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve smoked a few carp, does than count?
Iowa Dave
Old 06-11-2020, 12:08 AM   #418

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Though I enjoy traditional camp fare, I find a stir fry to be the easiest meal to cook for family and friends at home and for myself in the 17B. With a bit of advance prep, a healthy meal can be ready in just a few minutes.

Every couple of weeks, I cut up and freeze bite-sized pieces of frozen meat, poultry, and seafood. Seasoned and tossed into a wok with hot oil, these proteins brown quickly on the outside while remaining juicy and moist inside. After removing the protein to a bowl, I stir fry fresh or frozen veggies to the preferred level of doneness, toss in whatever sauce I’ve chosen, return the cooked protein to the wok, and adjust seasonings. A half cup of pre-cooked rice stored in the fridge takes just a minute to heat in the microwave, and, voila! The satisfying, one-pan, one-bowl meal makes for quick and easy clean-up, and any leftover meat can be added to a salad for lunch the next day. Nuts and sesame seeds add a nice crunch.

Tonight’s meal: stir fried chicken with zucchini, red pepper, green onions, mushrooms, garlic and fresh cilantro over a bed of steamed rice.
Attached Thumbnails
stirfry.JPG  

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #419

That sounds great!
Old 06-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #420

Yum!!!