Needed: Round Tow Bar for the 32331 Husky WDH (400-600 lbs.) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Lock up your tow bars!

UPDATED: Thanks to Ross, who found online what I could not, despite calls to several companies, I've ordered the much-needed tow bar. (See his comment below.) The total cost is about three times what it would have cost locally just two months ago, but I'm not complaining. Indeed, I'm grateful that I'll soon be able to boondock with my daughter here in Texas for days at a time while remaining in independent isolation.

As Doug (also below) pointed out, some of us need these tow bars in order to move our rigs, so I've purchased locks to secure mine (insofar as is possible) from now on. You might consider doing the same.
………………...
I'm missing one tow bar from my Husky WDH (32331), inexplicitly removed from my rig when it was parked on the street, while the other bar remained seated. Please let me know if you happen to have one lying around you'd like to sell --or rent to me for the next 60-90 days if you're in the Houston area. I've been unable to find one of these smaller bars in stock online, and due to Covid18, shipments of parts will also be delayed.

Replacement bars are available for the 600-800 lb. capacity, and I've been told that buying a pair of them would work, but I understand that maneuverability may be compromised, and I don't want to add to the tongue weight. Thanks in advance for thoughts anyone might have on that.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Says they have your 32331 for $56. In California, shouldn't take long to get.
https://speedmaster79.com/HUSKY-TOWI...Spring-Bar-Onl
Old 04-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We were at a campground a few years ago, someone stole the bars from our neighbors. They had one of those massive trailers and couldn’t tow without them. It was a 3 hour drive to find replacements. Lock them up.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
It never occurred to me that someone would steal spring bars. I just figured they are unique enough to a setup and relatively secure enough that they wouldn’t be messed with.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:53 PM   #5

I either put them in the back of the SUV or put a padlock through the chains and through one of the tow chains.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
We were at a campground a few years ago, someone stole the bars from our neighbors. They had one of those massive trailers and couldn’t tow without them. It was a 3 hour drive to find replacements. Lock them up.
Yes. Lesson learned. I ordered padlocks right away, and they'll be here next week, well ahead of the new tow bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I either put them in the back of the SUV or put a padlock through the chains and through one of the tow chains.
Thanks, Ross! Tow bar ordered! Gonna do just that!

Old 04-19-2020, 07:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
As the linked source shows, the part is a spring bar, not a "tow" bar. I'm not trying to be picky - it just helps to use the correct term when looking for an item; no retailer will describe this as a "tow bar", but there are completely different things which are called tow bars.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
It never occurred to me that someone would steal spring bars. I just figured they are unique enough to a setup and relatively secure enough that they wouldn’t be messed with.
They're highly interchangeable within a brand, and in the case of conventional round bars likely even between some brands... although the Husky Centreline is not a typical "round bar" WDH so this wouldn't interchange. On the other hand, it could have been some idiot stealing the thing for the scrap metal value, or to use for some other purpose... maybe someone wanted a pry bar?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
As the linked source shows, the part is a spring bar, not a "tow" bar. I'm not trying to be picky - it just helps to use the correct term when looking for an item; no retailer will describe this as a "tow bar", but there are completely different things which are called tow bars.

Hmm. Absolutely right, thanks!

Old 04-19-2020, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
They're highly interchangeable within a brand, and in the case of conventional round bars likely even between some brands... although the Husky Centreline is not a typical "round bar" WDH so this wouldn't interchange. On the other hand, it could have been some idiot stealing the thing for the scrap metal value, or to use for some other purpose... maybe someone wanted a pry bar?
I've lived in this quiet neighborhood with my daughter for several months now and have parked on the street twice only (for a total of 2 nights). Each time, street parking was necessary because cars parked on the other side made backing into the driveway impossible. Much as I hate to think it, a neighbor may have taken just one bar as a discouragement against my parking in front of our house again. After all, the retaining wire lock pin was in place when I discovered the loss. A not-so-subtle message? Sad to think, but perhaps. I mean, the bar couldn't have escaped that retaining pin without help, right?

Old 04-19-2020, 08:02 PM   #11

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Yes. Lesson learned. I ordered padlocks right away, and they'll be here next week, well ahead of the new tow bar.

Welcome; kept seeing "Out of stock" banners as am sure you did too. Kept going and saw Speedmaster. Would call them AM tomorrow to be sure. Good luck & hopefully it arrives by Thursday or Friday...it should UPS Ground.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:10 PM   #12

Spring Bars for Husky Centerline

Quote:

Speedmaster never delivered the 400-600 lb. spring bar and finally returned my money this week. EVERY company I've contacted is out of stock in this size and has no idea when/if this size will be in.

Is there any problem with my ordering the next size up set of spring bars for 600-800 lbs.? (I've had two salesmen say that it would be fine - as long as I order two.) Thanks!

Old 05-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Speedmaster never delivered the 400-600 lb. spring bar and finally returned my money this week. EVERY company I've contacted is out of stock in this size and has no idea when/if this size will be in.
Did you try calling Husky directly?
Husky Towing Products
Customer Service, Technical Support, & Warranty:
Monday - Friday 8am-5pm EST
Phone: 877-544-4449
techinfohuskytow@lkqspg.com
Old 05-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Craigslist? Even if you need to buy the entire hitch, take what you need and sell the rest.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #15

I just entered "husky 32331" in Ebay and there were 6 of the 400-600lb bars for sale.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:

Is there any problem with my ordering the next size up set of spring bars for 600-800 lbs.? (I've had two salesmen say that it would be fine - as long as I order two.) Thanks!
About getting the 600-800 bars - not a good idea.

Here are several 400-600 that show in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/HUSKY-TOWING-.../dp/B01EXKUG8I

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Husky-Towin...-/132520454019

https://www.ebay.com/p/13002556242

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Husky-Towin....c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUSKY-TOWIN...QAAOSwoy1etD2q

ps. Amazon is horrible about shipping right now. Amazon would be my last choice if I needed anytime in the next two months.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
R
Welcome; kept seeing "Out of stock" banners as am sure you did too. Kept going and saw Speedmaster. Would call them AM tomorrow to be sure. Good luck & hopefully it arrives by Thursday or Friday...it should UPS Ground.
Sorry that happened Ava; hate that when companies list "in stock" when they really don't have it. Had heard that about an RV parts place in Julian, CA- which is why I suggested calling to be sure. That's why I always use a credit card to make these kinds of purchases as you can always dispute the charge if necessary.

As to Amazon; I recently received something in two days so it depends on what it is you are buying. If it is a Prime product sold & stocked by Amazon it probably is not going to take too much longer than usual. On another note, though I always check to see if something is available elsewhere as I've noticed they are not that great in price with a lot of items anymore. Their returns are usually pretty easy though.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #18

Thank you!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! Thanks everyone! And you've done it yet again, Tom!!!!!

I entered the COMPLETE name of the product and its number into my Google search more times than I can count these past two days and came up with about a dozen entries - including the Amazon site - NONE of which had this bar in stock. I even created a Word document showing the companies I spoke to so I could remember which told me what. Two have me on a "to be contacted list" for when the part comes in, and several others told me to call back once each week to check. Occasionally, a listing indicated "in stock" but was suddenly "out of stock" when I went to check out.

Until ... just ... now.

YIPEE!!!! The specific bar I need has now been ordered and should be here by the end of next week! Ready to travel as soon as soon as it's safe!