New British Columbia travel restrictions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My new 2020 Highlander, with BC plates, got keyed shortly after got it. I suspect Skip the Dishes, because son-in-law cheaped his tip. Could have been one of the neighbours, though, tenants with Alberta plates.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I have a Washington plate that came with our new to us 5.0, could send that to you but likely be more chance of getting keyed
Thanks. Thinking of sleeping in the bed of the truck!
sameo416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:52 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameo416 View Post
More concerned about our TV getting keyed in the parking lot the night before pick up. May look to rent a BC licence plate for one night .
Why? Is that actually a thing?
Old 04-28-2021, 03:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Why? Is that actually a thing?
I've seen a series of news stories of BC residents approaching out-of-province drivers with anger, and reports of damage done to cars.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
I've seen a series of news stories of BC residents approaching out-of-province drivers with anger, and reports of damage done to cars.
I think it actually started in your province Alberta last summer, with people who were supposed to be traveling direct through Canada enroute or from Alaska stopping to sightsee.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...anff-1.5634534
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I think it actually started in your province Alberta last summer, with people who were supposed to be traveling direct through Canada enroute or from Alaska stopping to sightsee.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...anff-1.5634534
You’re correct it was the ‘just passing through to Alaska’ drivers in Alberta first. More recently it’s the province v. province travel that seems to be attracting it.

Not seen stories about that happening to BC drivers in Alberta. There’s been some BC political rhetoric focused on oil field workers carrying COVID home from oil sands that I suspect started some of this...although most of those cases they’re resident In the other province and travelling to Alberta to work.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:00 PM   #27

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
We slipped our delivery date to just after the BC restrictions are lifted to make life easier.

As we researched the rules and spoke with the public service in BC, they thought that the pick up of a trailer was commercial/business activity and would be acceptable even under restriction as it wasn't 'recreational'. We were advised to carry our delivery paperwork with us in case we were stopped.

The pre-pick up hotel we had booked was ok with us staying or extending. BC Hoteliers have said there won't be a standard practice for its membership.

The campground we had booked post-pick up cancelled our reservation, and BC shut down out of province camping in provincial and Crown areas.

If the restrictions continue past 25 May, we're assuming we will not be allowed to camp (in spite of that being a really safe mode of travel) in British Columbia. So it will be a morning pick up followed by a direct drive back to Alberta, where we are resident and allowed to camp. About 11 hours so not a super-human task (but an interesting first introduction to towing a fifth wheel).

More concerned about our TV getting keyed in the parking lot the night before pick up. May look to rent a BC licence plate for one night .
What about spending the night at a boondock location? Freecampsites.net shows a number of possibilities along Hwy 5, if that's the route you are taking. Or maybe someone will know of a spot well off the highway where you're likely to be alone and altogether unseen. If RCMP stops by to ask questions, you show your papers and say you just got too sleepy to continue safely; no cop would want a motorist to fall asleep at the wheel, so they wouldn't fault you for pulling over to sleep.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:29 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 17B
You can park at my place in Penticton if you don't want to make the drive all the way home in one shot. No hookups but you could fill the water tank if you needed. Still about a 10+ hour drive to Edmonton, but the offer is there if you need it.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
What about spending the night at a boondock location? Freecampsites.net shows a number of possibilities along Hwy 5, if that's the route you are taking. Or maybe someone will know of a spot well off the highway where you're likely to be alone and altogether unseen. If RCMP stops by to ask questions, you show your papers and say you just got too sleepy to continue safely; no cop would want a motorist to fall asleep at the wheel, so they wouldn't fault you for pulling over to sleep.
Had the same thought. Even if Crown land is closed just drive off on a logging road a few km stop at a wide spot. Safer option than blasting ac/dc to stay awake for 11 hours.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
You can park at my place in Penticton if you don't want to make the drive all the way home in one shot. No hookups but you could fill the water tank if you needed. Still about a 10+ hour drive to Edmonton, but the offer is there if you need it.
Thanks so much! We are still looking at the return route as we’d planned originally to stay in the Kootenys for a bit. As we set the route and look at the restrictions I will let you know.

That’s a kind offer, thanks again!
Old 04-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
We are still looking at the return route as we’d planned originally to stay in the Kootenys for a bit.

I'd take the fastest route back to Alberta. No dillydallying.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:29 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Wow, had no idea. That's too bad.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #33

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Gosh, this is not the nicest thread I've ever read on the forum. To " Key or not to Key " or " to be Keyed or not to be Keyed "....seriously keying is not actually a thing in one province or another.

There are in fact stinkers all over the world, it even happens to rental cars in Germany. Keying someone's car was certainly not invented in either BC or Alberta, and in general BCers and Albertans get along very well.

Last year around this time there were incidents reported of angry folks in remote towns in BC being angry at Alberta travelers due to shortages of supplies. Lockdowns were new and supplies were limited. It was also reported that those "Alberta plates" were people who had actually moved to and were living in BC.

At this time there is a visitor to a neighbour around the corner from where we live with BC plates , a little further along there is a vehicle with Manitoba plates. We have no desire to be angry with them.

We have reservations starting May 26th in BC, and ferry reservations. At this point we are still waiting to see what happens before we cancel because we have contacted the Rv parks where we are booked and they are actually encouraging us to wait before we cancel altogether, BC ferries tells us we may cancel if we wish ( no fee)....or we can wait till shortly before if the restrictions are extended. But all that said.....who really wants to go where there may be a sense of hostility, even if the campgrounds are welcoming.

We are in Calgary not Edmonton, but "if "we were to pick up a new Escape around the long weekend or just after, if the May 25th end date stays we would not hesitate to book into Redstreak at Radium..... in spite of the early issues last year we found it welcoming as always. Kotenay is a NP. One may also find that Revy has RV parks that will welcome Albertans, sarting May25th.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post

At this time there is a visitor to a neighbour around the corner from where we live with BC plates , a little further along there is a vehicle with Manitoba plates. We have no desire to be angry with them.
Thanks for the Radium advice. Many times on posting to a new base we operated with out of province plates, including German tags. Never had a problem.

I've not had the urge to damage someone’s property, and find those reports mystifying. Well, I sometimes think about applying pink spray paint to the sets of rubber testicles hanging on some trucks, but I've never given in.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:23 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hopefully this time next year we will all be making plans to attend the Escape Rally in Osoyoos....can not wait!
Old 04-30-2021, 09:51 AM   #36

Quote:
I've not had the urge to damage someone’s property, and find those reports mystifying. Well, I sometimes think about applying pink spray paint to the sets of rubber testicles hanging on some trucks, but I've never given in.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:52 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hopefully this time next year we will all be making plans to attend the Escape Rally in Osoyoos....can not wait!
We too....truly can't wait
Old 04-30-2021, 01:10 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I think everyone should just take a deep breath, step back and get back to subject of this thread so we all can benefit from it’s information.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:29 PM   #39

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My new 2020 Highlander, with BC plates, got keyed shortly after got it. I suspect Skip the Dishes, because son-in-law cheaped his tip. Could have been one of the neighbours, though, tenants with Alberta plates.
Let's hear it for keyless ignitions.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #40
Site Team

TIP:

If you object to a post because you believe it violates forum rules, please report it, but it's best to refrain from using the thread itself to argue about it.

I've deleted several posts (again) in order to try to keep the thread on track. Thanks for your help.