NM state parks closing - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #61

Trailer: 21’ 2020
I’d like to also add that the current guesstimates of the fatality rates haven’t been age-adjusted. It may be that the “10-fold” rate of deaths from Covid vs. the flu is mainly in the elderly/infirmed population, rather than across the board. (I’m putting my medical researcher hat on here.)
We also don’t know just how many people had the Covid 19 virus, and didn’t realize they had it! Thus, the numbers are skewed yet even more.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #62

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Trying to make this as apolitical as possible...
Some commenters are stating bits and pieces of info, and leaving out some other mitigating facts.
What was left out, is that the CDC and other health orgs were overinflated with hiring increasing 10-fold in 2009+. The current administration was cutting back and firing some of the excess, and was reorganizing. ...
Apolitical? Could you then please help us by posting some data from an unbiased medically factual source to back up the statement that "the CDC and other health orgs were overinflated"?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #63

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Sushi, not so much we call that bait.
Iowa Dave
Terry makes sushi when we're on the road, at least three times on this winter trip. We consider SPAM fit for nothing but bait.

TETO!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #64

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The CDC's summary report of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic outlines how tests were administered at the time.

The virus was first detected in the US on April 15. The CDC informed the World Health Organization about initial cases April 18. A test to detect this strain of swine flu was developed by the CDC and cleared for use 10 days later, on April 28, and the CDC began shipping tests across the US and around the world on May 1.

Within the next four months, more than 1 million tests "were shipped to 120 domestic and 250 international laboratories in 140 countries," according to the CDC's report.
By May 18, 40 states were authorized to conduct their own 2009 H1N1 testing, with eight states having multiple laboratories that could process the tests, the report says.

Between April 12, 2009 and April 10, 2010, the CDC estimates that the swine flu killed 12,469 people in the US.

The first case of coronavirus was confirmed in the US on January 20 of this year. As of Wednesday, almost two months later, 11,079 specimens had been tested in the US.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Apolitical? Could you then please help us by posting some data from an unbiased medically factual source to back up the statement that "the CDC and other health orgs were overinflated"?

Sure! 1. When I have a chance and
2. When the other commenters post their resources first.

Why don’t you read up on all sides? That way you will have much more information, rather than just from me.
It’s apolitical because I’m NOT 𝐎ffering a judgement, nor putting a political side down. Not like some of the snarky comments before me!
Old 03-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #66

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Having worked in government for 34 years I came to realize that the desire of sincere leadership was to provide the best services possible for the public. Often services were less than optimal due to budget constraints including funding for staff. There was never a time I couldn’t have done more with increased equipment and staff budgeting. I’m certain the CDC and other agencies feel the same constraints. If you’ve ever started a sentence with “ Why don’t they”
when experiencing a government run operation, you haven’t thought your question completely through.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #67

U R SO Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Having worked in government for 34 years I came to realize that the desire of sincere leadership was to provide the best services possible for the public. Often services were less than optimal due to budget constraints including funding for staff. There was never a time I couldn’t have done more with increased equipment and staff budgeting. I’m certain the CDC and other agencies feel the same constraints. If you’ve ever started a sentence with “ Why don’t they”
when experiencing a government run operation, you haven’t thought your question completely through.
Iowa Dave
Dave, I don’t think I could improve upon your observation. My DH and I have also worked in the government sector...he still does. There’s SO much the general public doesn’t know or understand...
Also, some of the comments I make refer to internal information, which you probably understand as well.
Thanks for your comment!
Old 03-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #68

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Terry makes sushi when we're on the road, at least three times on this winter trip. We consider SPAM fit for nothing but bait.

TETO!

Enjoy,

Perry
I’ve used SPAM for bullhead bait, then used the bullheads for Flathead Catfish bait. The flathead is great eating fish, existing on fresh meat as a top level predator in his environment. I’ve used hot dogs too and once caught a channel catfish that had a pork chop bone in his stomach. Like many fishermen I always do a stomach contents analysis on the fish I harvest for eating. Not on the ones I catch and release though. I’m a nice guy.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #69

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
During my teaching decades I many times heard disparaging remarks about "throwing money at schools" My only wish was - could we try it? - just once and see if it works?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #70

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
I’d like to also add that the current guesstimates of the fatality rates haven’t been age-adjusted. It may be that the “10-fold” rate of deaths from Covid vs. the flu is mainly in the elderly/infirmed population, rather than across the board. (I’m putting my medical researcher hat on here.)
We also don’t know just how many people had the Covid 19 virus, and didn’t realize they had it! Thus, the numbers are skewed yet even more.
I'll go with Anthony Fauci on this. He stated Covid-19 is at least ten times worse than seasonal flu hence the 1% case fatality rate. WHO says 3.4% case fatality rate per CNBC. You are correct that we won't the real numbers until it's over but so far it looks bad.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Once and for all, can we please put all this talk about the wonders of SPAM to rest??
Attached Thumbnails
TaylorH2.jpg  
Old 03-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #72

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
The information from China and Italy shows that 40 somethings often become very seriously ill and need hospitalization. The age of deaths is 69 on average but the age for hospitalization is much lower.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #73

Quote:
Sure! 1. When I have a chance.....

Why don’t you read up on all sides?
I will anxiously await seeing that data. Sides? The only "side" I'm on is hoping that we can keep infection down to as low as possible and not seeing thousands of needless deaths due to ignoring advice from trained epidemiologists.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:49 AM   #74

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think this thread has run its course and is being closed.
Closed Thread