Quick Covid test for driving into Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quick Covid test for driving into Canada

We are scheduled to visit our new 21C at ETI on 11/16 with a return to Sumas to actually pick it up the following day.

We need PRC Covid tests taken within 72 hours of crossing on the 16th. Covid testing resource sites describe a need to plan for a 24-48 hour wait for results which could in our case end up with us exceeding the 72 hour window as we wait in line to return to Canada with our new trailer and head to Alberta to visit friends. The permutations of planning the test thing are mind boggling and the test cost (non essential travel) is between $145-180.

Imagine my delight to find a drug store in Sumas that does PRC testing with a 30 minute turnaround for $150. Yea!
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 E19
Hello bborzelll.
Just in case that falls through my wife and I got our test at the Bellingham Airport. It was a drive through site. We were there just after the border opened and could not find anywhere for a test they were booked up for five days. We talked to a nurse at the. Bellingham test site and she said to sign into their website and keep refreshing the web page and you may see an opening. While we sat in the parking lot refreshing the page an opening popped up. While I was taking my test from inside the car one came up for my wife. I had my test at 3:30 and results emailed to me at 1:18 AM the following morning. It was to say the least nerve racking.

Here is a link to the testing site. Not user friendly.

https://www.testdirectly.com/patient...rovider_search

I hope you don't have to use it.
Doug
Old 11-05-2021, 12:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug-B View Post
Hello bborzelll.
Just in case that falls through my wife and I got our test at the Bellingham Airport. It was a drive through site. We were there just after the border opened and could not find anywhere for a test they were booked up for five days. We talked to a nurse at the. Bellingham test site and she said to sign into their website and keep refreshing the web page and you may see an opening. While we sat in the parking lot refreshing the page an opening popped up. While I was taking my test from inside the car one came up for my wife. I had my test at 3:30 and results emailed to me at 1:18 AM the following morning. It was to say the least nerve racking.

Here is a link to the testing site. Not user friendly.

https://www.testdirectly.com/patient...rovider_search

I hope you don't have to use it.
Doug
Thanks, Doug. It will be good to have that option in my back pocket.

I wanted better certainty that we would not run out of time between the first crossing, the return to Sumas to pickup the trailer and the head back over. At $150x2 for each test, it could add up real quick.

Hopefully, Canada will back off on the $$$ molecular test in favor of the $40 antibody test used pretty much everywhere else.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
I wasn’t exactly sure if you are planning to cross the border into Canada once or twice (11/16 & 11/17), but our understanding, from crossing in Sept., is that repeated crossings require a negative test for each crossing. I could be wrong. Also, our tests cost nothing out of pocket at a CVS pharmacy and were back in under 30 hours. Do you not have health insurance?

Best of luck!
KevinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinA View Post
I wasn’t exactly sure if you are planning to cross the border into Canada once or twice (11/16 & 11/17), but our understanding, from crossing in Sept., is that repeated crossings require a negative test for each crossing. I could be wrong. Also, our tests cost nothing out of pocket at a CVS pharmacy and were back in under 30 hours. Do you not have health insurance?

Best of luck!
The best info I have been able to glean is that 2 crossings are OK if they occur within 72 hours of a negative test.

As for cost, testing for travel is typically not covered by health insurance. One can get a test free by claiming COVID symptoms or contact with someone who is infected, but I am not willing to go that route.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Hopefully, Canada will back off on the $$$ molecular test in favor of the $40 antibody test used pretty much everywhere else.
I doubt that will happen. There has been pressure for Canada to eliminate having to test, especially since that limits Canadians just wanting to make a short visit to the US. However our government has suggested that if you want to visit the US for a day or two then you can get a test in Canada as long as you return to Canada in that 72 hour window.

Don't be late though, we heard of a family arriving here at our local border crossing just over the 72 hours and were fined $2000 x 4!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #7

After reading multiple pages on several websites relating to crossing to Canada for non essential purposes and not finding a direct reference to crossing twice within 72 hours after a negative test, I finally found a phone number for Health in Canada.

I was told that the negative test taken no more than 72 hours prior to crossing into Canada is sufficient for more than one crossing provided that any subsequent crossing occur within the original 72 hour window.

All of this complexity comes about because we want to inspect the trailer prior to pickup in Sumas and then return to Canada to visit friends in Alberta. I am guessing that a sufficient amount of patience and flexibility will conquer any unforeseen obstacles.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I doubt that will happen. There has been pressure for Canada to eliminate having to test, especially since that limits Canadians just wanting to make a short visit to the US. However our government has suggested that if you want to visit the US for a day or two then you can get a test in Canada as long as you return to Canada in that 72 hour window.

Don't be late though, we heard of a family arriving here at our local border crossing just over the 72 hours and were fined $2000 x 4!
It seems that the point at issue (for Americans, at least) is the cost of the molecular test which is not covered by the vast majority of carriers in the US if the purpose is travel. Most other countries use antigen tests for entry which are about 20% of the cost for the molecular test now required.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
... I am guessing that a sufficient amount of patience and flexibility will conquer any unforeseen obstacles.
Maybe add "dollars" to patience and flexibility and you've likely got it covered

Seriously, it sounds like a great plan and I wish you the best on your new trailer pickup (congrats!) and Canadian travels! Have Fun!
Old 11-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Maybe add "dollars" to patience and flexibility and you've likely got it covered

Seriously, it sounds like a great plan and I wish you the best on your new trailer pickup (congrats!) and Canadian travels! Have Fun!
Thanks. I stopped short of adding $$$ to my list of tools to deal with the uncertainty of this border crossing out of an admittedly irrational fear that, if I say it, it will happen, but it is in my back pocket.