Rallies and Covid-19 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #41

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Don't even think about going to a rally in the Spring. We left February 27 for what we thought was a long trip until April 30. We headed home March 25 - Wednesday - driving hard for 3 days to arrive home in Oregon on Friday. Why? Because we could not stay completely safe, even though we were picking remote territory and we hiked rough trails. Why couldn't we stay safe? Because there are not enough people who have fully taken in the seriousness of this. This is a virus that causes pneumonia - for the small percentage of folks who die - they die with their lungs full of fluids and alone. If you don't die, your lungs may be compromised forever. So, if you think your odds are good, think about what you are doing to the nation's odds if we don't take this really seriously. The experts point out we have to stay isolated until the end of May and maybe longer. We were frankly astonished how (as they closed the State and Federal camping options as we left) the parks were still left open and people were pouring in and crowding on trails. You can't always get 6 feet away from someone on a trail or in a park. If you have a home, other than your trailer, go home. You will help protect those who live in their trailers. We are astonished that we saw NO trailers in Idaho as we went through. Stay safe folks, protect each other. We also felt responsible to be one with our State.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
You made a good decision. Glad you got home safely and are hunkered down.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #43

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pender Paul View Post
Can you imagine attending the pot luck, crowded into the hall, with 350 individuals all eating self-prepared food? It is a recipe for disaster.
Actually we went so far as experiencing it last year. The din and crowd were too much for us. We walked in one door and out the other. It was so nice and peaceful back at our campsite. We cooked salmon, sweet potato, and snap peas. Drank our fill of beer too. Jim Norman strolls up an hour later. "We didn't see you. Where were you"? "How could you in that sea of humanity" I asked. "Take a load off and have a beer".
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1308.jpg   DSCF1310.jpg  
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #44

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Actually we went so far as experiencing it last year. The din and crowd were too much for us. We walked in one door and out the other. It was so nice and peaceful back at our campsite. We cooked salmon, sweet potato, and snap peas. Drank our fill of beer too. Jim Norman strolls up an hour later. "We didn't see you. Where were you"? "How could you in that sea of humanity" I asked. "Take a load off and have a beer".
That's how I felt, too, when I went. I love smaller outdoor meals and could see, in the future, how they could work even with some social distancing concerns, but I don't like big crowds at the best of times.

Weird to think two weeks ago we were discussing what-ifs on rallies... Now our parks are closed on the west coast and so is our border. But I think in the future while this virus hangs around and we build immunity and vaccination immunity, we'll want to practice some social distancing even while we get back out there.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Our first rally attendance was in 2014 and it was the first time meeting Tammy and Reace. The rally then was held in the other clubhouse, smaller and more personal. But as Escape grew so did the attendance. I think as you post more here on the forum you will feel better about meeting friends you have conversed with through this forum. I remember seeing the bald gentlemen walking his dog and i hollered Jim B. sure enough it was he. Several members had pictures of themselves in their avatar and it made recognition easier, or maybe it was his dog I recognized!
My point is the large crowd may be intimidating but seeing familiar faces eases that feeling.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #46

Trailer: 2019 21 foot
Could it be that global warming may help save us? Ironic isn't it.
dscottsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:37 PM   #47

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottsmith View Post
Could it be that global warming may help save us? Ironic isn't it.

Or, most of us die and save the planet.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #48

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Or, most of us die and save the planet.
And when the population of a species outstrips the available resources nature steps in to restore the balance.

Could this be the restoration?
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #49

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think as you post more here on the forum you will feel better about meeting friends you have conversed with through this forum. My point is the large crowd may be intimidating but seeing familiar faces eases that feeling.
We are socially awkward at mass gatherings. We engage best in one on one situations or slightly more. That is why the Niagara Rally was a more pleasant experience. The venue was more intimate and the campsite more private. This atmosphere provided us with the opportunity to single out certain people and get to know something about them.

There exists a good ol' boy network on this forum. Maybe 90% of the posts are by 5% of the members. That's cool. Each to his own. You and I have formed a friendship separate from this network -- that's the important thing.

My favorite topic on this forum are the tips people provide for places to camp far from the maddening crowd. That's why we got our Escape: To get away from it all. Now if only this damn virus would go away by: I think our Dear Leader said Easter?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:13 PM   #50

Trailer: 2020 17b
Just talked with the Osoyoos campground. They were very pleasant and refunded my deposit to my credit card. Darn, I wish the May 21st rally was going to happen, but I think I am being realistic.
Jinny is offline   Reply With Quote