The new Normal - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2020, 09:28 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Serious question- why do solo drivers ride around wearing a mask? Is this how to easily identify OCD?

These are people out running errands and don't bother to remove their masks between stops.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The electric windows on the Subaru stopped working. I don't do electricity so we took it in to the dealership. The place just got bought out and consolidated by the new guy, who owns several auto dealerships, so the original owners are gone. A new normal there.

They very thoughtfully did their 30K inspection of the car and told us they found an oil leak. They suspected it was a bad gasket and would need to pull the engine to get to it. A $1,200 job. An oil change, 3 wiper blades changed, and that quality inspection, came to $440.00 Oh, and the electric windows? Turns out an on/off control switch was just switched to off.

It's a 2013 with only 28K miles on it. Always sitting in the yard, never any oil spots under there, ever. I thanked them and assured them I would have to think about the leak job. Great guys.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:04 PM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
T
It's a 2013 with only 28K miles on it. Always sitting in the yard, never any oil spots under there, ever. I thanked them and assured them I would have to think about the leak job. Great guys.
These things happen, I guess because some folks are too trusting and they get them to spring for things that may or may not be necessary.

A neighbors daughter came home last week all in a panic because she'd taken her not very old Toyota in for an oil change. They told her that they'd found metal shavings in the transmission and that it'd be $1,200 to replace it. An independent inspection confirmed no shavings. Always like the show when they plant cameras and take a vehicle, thoroughly inspected to have no faults, to a garage with a "problem". Love it when they nail the scumbags.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #64

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
When we first went to the dealership I stayed in my truck and let my 78 year old wife go in to drop off the car for our appointment. Same thing when next day we returned for it. I do honestly believe when they saw this slightly frail old woman (walks with a cane) they sized her up and said to themselves, "Pidgeon!"
Old 11-08-2020, 11:08 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Lots of folks are spooky and rightfully so. I realized today that I had not left our property in a week. Rita went a couple places, I took the tractor to the top of the hill (300 feet) to put out the garbage and get the mail.

The Toyota dealership is sending me notices that I’m overdue for service. Of course their prompt is my previous service dates and mileages. I’m only about halfway to needing service that otherwise would have happened about the middle of September.

Not spending much cash or buying any candy when I go to the gas station. Hope BP can stand the losses from no business from me.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Up until the other day when our daughter took possession of her house, we were getting 45 days to the gallon!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:29 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
New House

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... Up until the other day when our daughter took possession of her house, we were getting 45 days to the gallon!!! Alf
Glad to hear your daughter is doing well. I remember when she was at Niagara a couple years ago. She was an intrepid and compeTENT camper but after a night heavy rain there weren’t enough Loonies in the world to dry her sleeping bag. I was impressed how she could laugh about the little sister of the Niagara river that ran through her tent. Good luck to her.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-08-2020, 11:47 PM   #67

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Been there, done that. Bought a 2020 Highlander XLE AWD and I'm still getting grief for it. Wife accusing me of wasting the summer, getting it equipped with a hitch, brake controller and wiring and then stalling because I haven't equipped it with snow tires ( required from Oct. 1 on all mountain passes ).
Have 1,145 kilometres on the odometer ( 711 miles ) since Aug. 24.
She forgets the time the trailer spent in the shop, waiting for parts for the fridge and all our combined doctor appointments.
Snow predicted for tomorrow and chief medical officer has restricted travel and socializing to our immediate household ( me and the wife ) for the next two weeks.

Really enjoyed "Queen's Gambit" on Netfilx.

Now what?
Old 11-09-2020, 04:37 AM   #68

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Humor is the best medicine
And humour is the best spelling.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:44 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Really enjoyed "Queen's Gambit" on Netfilx.

Now what?
We enjoyed that show too. I like the length compared to those super long ones.

Now what? Life has just way too many things to do, I can't even begin to keep up. I do prefer that to being slow and bored though. I could find enough stuff to do to keep a few people busy.

Taking Lisa to Toronto for a new hip or two in a few weeks. That will take some time, and cost a schwack of money.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-09-2020, 06:04 AM   #70

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
The electric windows on the Subaru stopped working. I don't do electricity so we took it in to the dealership. The place just got bought out and consolidated by the new guy, who owns several auto dealerships, so the original owners are gone. A new normal there.

They very thoughtfully did their 30K inspection of the car and told us they found an oil leak. They suspected it was a bad gasket and would need to pull the engine to get to it. A $1,200 job. An oil change, 3 wiper blades changed, and that quality inspection, came to $440.00 Oh, and the electric windows? Turns out an on/off control switch was just switched to off.

“Stealerships” take advantage and feed off those who have no idea about the mechanics of their vehicle. Great job of knowing better!

We had a basic recall notice on my wife’s 2014 Honda Pilot a few years ago. When she took it in they went through a few things on her car and showed her the dirty interior air filter and said they could change it for something like $75. She laughed and said no and she’d buy one from the auto parts store for $20 and install it in the parking lot. When she picked up her car the fan motor was extremely loud so she walked around grabbed the service manager, opened up the glove box, pulled the side flat, pulled the filter and low and behold there in all it’s glory was a shiny new black zip tie on the other side of the filter.

She took a picture of it, turned and took a picture of the service manager and said “Before I contact my attorney can you explain how this happened?”.

She called me on her drive home to let me know she now had “Free” Lifetime Oil Changes from the Stealership.

I am proud knowing that my on the surface girly girl wife has the skills to know better!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:35 AM   #71

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
When I was in the Central Highlands we partied with several Australians. They DO know how to party.
I took my R&R in Australia on my second tour in Nam. We had a block of rooms in a hotel and couldn't buy a drink in the bar. The 'Aussies' were great.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:58 AM   #72

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
have to buy the new 5th wheel now

We have a 5th wheel scheduled for June and we are now committed. This week end we helped the economy by getting rid of the Durango that we really liked and bought the Ram 1500 with most of the extras I wanted. Now I need the new hitch and boxes for the bed. The ram sure doesn't maneuver as well as the Durango but being a 5th wheel I can still turn it around at the bottom of our drive way as I can the 17.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #73

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Lmao censorship at its finest the new normal now

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Glad to hear your daughter is doing well. I remember when she was at Niagara a couple years ago. She was an intrepid and compeTENT camper but after a night heavy rain there weren’t enough Loonies in the world to dry her sleeping bag. I was impressed how she could laugh about the little sister of the Niagara river that ran through her tent. Good luck to her.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... OOops... the other daughter. Now with both of them in their respective homes I have to stop and think "Now where did I leave my tools"?
Eldest one is the camper w/a cat... the middle one is a "Glamper" w/3 dogs!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #75

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
eh, myron, i guess the leak they thought they'd found was to be in your wallet.

the local toyota dealership is notorious for scamming--which is odd for such a small town. when i first moved here (late 80s)as a single mom struggling, i fell for it once. that's the last time i was there for maintenance.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #76

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The air conditioner scam must be a common thing. My wife ran into similar when she brought her Toyota in for an oil change, and I had just happened to change it the month before.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
And humour is the best spelling.
I gave that battle up years ago. Now I "speak American".

Ron
Old 11-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
We have a 5th wheel scheduled for June and we are now committed. This week end we helped the economy by getting rid of the Durango that we really liked and bought the Ram 1500 with most of the extras I wanted. Now I need the new hitch and boxes for the bed. The ram sure doesn't maneuver as well as the Durango but being a 5th wheel I can still turn it around at the bottom of our drive way as I can the 17.
AZjack
Congratulations on your new rig. Hope at some point in the future we get to see it.

Stay safe in this crazy world.

Ron
Old 11-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I gave that battle up years ago. Now I "speak American".

Ron
I haven't given up yet. Speaking I can handle. Small measurements too, but metric dimensions win overall. Temperature wise, Celsius all the way, I even have to convert from American. [emoji4]
Old 11-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #80

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"

Looks like I better stay home for quite awhile