Viewing Before Delivery Worth the Hassle? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2022, 06:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Viewing Before Delivery Worth the Hassle?

So we should be picking up our 21NE in June.

Coming from the states, there are more hoops and complications with doing a pre-delivery viewing.

Worth the effort?
Just take delivery in Sumas?
Thoughts or advice?
Oregon21NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Just take delivery and look it over. If you find something that you think needs fixing it's no big deal for you to cross into Canada. Or be on your way.

Once you've taken delivery it's your trailer and you can bring the trailer right back into Canada as some folks have to sight see or travel through Canada on their way home.

On the other hand, if it gives you peace of mind to go to ETI and go through it with a fine tooth comb then that's what you should do.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree with what Ron says....
Old 05-19-2022, 08:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon21NE View Post
So we should be picking up our 21NE in June.

Coming from the states, there are more hoops and complications with doing a pre-delivery viewing.

Worth the effort?
Just take delivery in Sumas?
Thoughts or advice?
I say it depends on how knowledgeable you are when it comes to Escapes or RVs in general. It would’ve been a waste of my time as I was neither of those…

I’m sure Canada is beautiful in the summer but I have enough regulations here, no thanks. But I do wish we could take a few notes from them on our southern border.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 E19
Will ETI still do corrective repairs on a trailer once it's delivered? I thought they stopped doing those. In terms of ETI's policy regarding after-sale repairs, I can't imagine why there'd be a difference between one that's accepted in Sumas versus one that's accepted in, say, Kansas City.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Will ETI still do corrective repairs on a trailer once it's delivered? I thought they stopped doing those. In terms of ETI's policy regarding after-sale repairs, I can't imagine why there'd be a difference between one that's accepted in Sumas versus one that's accepted in, say, Kansas City.
I'd hazard a guess that there's quite a difference between a trailer that's just left the factory returning, one that they could see and work on in person and one thousands of miles away.

Ron
Old 05-19-2022, 10:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'd hazard a guess that there's quite a difference between a trailer that's just left the factory returning, one that they could see and work on in person and one thousands of miles away.

Ron
My point is, if someone accepts delivery thousands of miles away but finds a problem and drives it back to Chilliwack, I can't see why ETI would treat it differently than one that was delivered to Sumas and driven back to Chilliwack. Agreed? So my question is, will ETI work on it? I thought I'd read posts made by new owners who asked ETI if they could bring their trailer back for repairs and were told "we don't do repairs," but maybe my memory is off.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Picked up our e19 mid march. Went to eti to view the day before and found a few things that needed attention. Easy fixes before delivery. Dave was great to work with as he made notes and also gave us a tour of our trailer answering all our questions. Stayed at bobs burger in sumas and took delivery the following day in sumas
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Picked up our e19 mid march. Went to eti to view the day before and found a few things that needed attention. Easy fixes before delivery. Dave was great to work with as he made notes and also gave us a tour of our trailer answering all our questions. Stayed at bobs burger in sumas and took delivery the following day in sumas
Same here. We found one 12 volt outlet missing, the front storage box had a crack at the back n a broken latch,. They fixed and replaced all on the spot before taking it across the border to Bobs. And Dave is fantastic to work with. All the people there could learn from him on customer service.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:43 AM   #10

Worth the stop to see the shop

We hope to stop in ETI on Monday before our Tuesday pick up, only to be nosey and look around. It is worth the "Stop to see the Shop"......
Old 05-20-2022, 06:46 AM   #11

They didn’t let anyone to see the shop area when we picked up ours but for you Jim, since this is #5 I hope they make a exception n let you go see all the production areas especially the mold shop area
Old 05-20-2022, 02:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
They didn’t let anyone to see the shop area when we picked up ours but for you Jim, since this is #5 I hope they make a exception n let you go see all the production areas especially the mold shop area
It's probably just a figure of speech. There's more than just a work shop area to see. When we bought our 19 Tammy took us into the whole shop area at lunch time when no one was working. Times change and few manufacturing businesses allow the public into active work areas. We have WorkSafe rules here in BC that have rules like, "Approved Steel Toe boots required."

Ron
Old 05-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #13
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
We had no issues with our 19, and have a 21 on order for p/u in Nov/Dec. However, I have read a lot of posts where folks have found some of the water connections to be loose, latches that needed some adjustment, and then some of the issues listed above.

Granted you can probably fix these yourself, but if Escape's recent track record with the new ownership there is good reason to believe that it is possible they may push back on any repairs. So I would flat out ask them "I know you don't do warranty work or post-delivery option installations, but if I find something wrong within a day or two of taking delivery can I come back to the factory to have the issue resolved rather than being referred to the vendor"?

When you take delivery make sure all of your options are installed and are where you wanted them. For example when we took delivery of the 19, the exterior shower was installed on the passenger side, when I had asked for the driver side. We also did not want the counter extension, but one was put in anyway. I decided at the time that it was not worth fretting about, and with one exception (which we solved with a longer hose) we have been fine with the exterior shower where it is. I only mention this to show that they do make mistakes sometimes, and they push back on a lot of repairs lately (by them), so it is up to your comfort level as to whether or not you want to check it over pre-delivery.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's probably just a figure of speech. There's more than just a work shop area to see. When we bought our 19 Tammy took us into the whole shop area at lunch time when no one was working. Times change and few manufacturing businesses allow the public into active work areas. We have WorkSafe rules here in BC that have rules like, "Approved Steel Toe boots required."

Ron
Nope I asked Tammy and Linda when we picked ours up. They had to stop letting customers back in the production areas due to the insurance company citing liability issues. This was in 2018. Now the new owners may let you. I didn’t know hope they do let Jim go see the areas
Old 05-20-2022, 10:21 PM   #15

Trailer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Worth the stop to see the shop

We hope to stop in ETI on Monday before our Tuesday pick up, only to be nosey and look around. It is worth the "Stop to see the Shop"......
Be sure they are open on Monday...on the YouTube video about the two new inventory trailers and the drawing process, Harrison said Monday is a holiday in BC, thus the drawing is on Tuesday.
I'll be passing through Sumas on Tuesday to visit ETI and Linda! Maybe I'll see you.
DebbieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:05 AM   #16

I keep forgetting that Canadian and American calendars do not always "synch".....
Old 05-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #17

Yah, by the time you get your Thanksgiving we're already thinking that it's getting close to Christmas.

Ron
Old 05-21-2022, 12:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, we don't celebrate July 4.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, we don't celebrate July 4.
No Independence Day there, we’ve all noticed…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:14 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
No Independence Day there, we’ve all noticed…