1 Up Bike Rack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
1 Up Bike Rack

Just a FYI. I just wanted to say that after several years of hemming and hawing over a bike rack I bit the bullet and bought a 1 Up bike rack. They are pricey but I am blown away at the design, construction and thought that has gone into this product. The design is simple, brilliant, easy to use and rock solid. I feel this will last the rest of my life. I am so happy with my purchase and feel it is worth every penny.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I just did the same thing, with the exact same thoughts. Love this rack.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 21- Escape
Good to hear! I have one still in the box for the 21’ I’m picking up in a week. Question: will it clear the spare tire, or do I need an extension for it?
firstpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Our bike pedal touched the cover of the tire. I felt after a short period of time it would make a hole. I simply remove the bike's pedal that faces the tire. It takes about a minute. The bike is old and cheap and even less desirable with only one pedal. LOL.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstpug View Post
Question: will it clear the spare tire, or do I need an extension for it?

It depends on how careful you are with bike orientation and pedal placement, as well as how deeply you insert the rack mount into the receiver (it’s adjustable).

I was not careful one time and ended up with a vibration/friction induced hole in our cover. I’m always careful now and never an issue again.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I’m happy with the rack, but it tends to rock the bikes a bit and it is annoying seeing that in the rear camera for an entire trip.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I’m happy with the rack, but it tends to rock the bikes a bit and it is annoying seeing that in the rear camera for an entire trip.
I now have had my 1-Up for over two years of rock solid performance.

One trick I did was used one of those foam faucet covers to prevent freezing between the bike frame and the spare. I used some cord tied to a large fender washer inside the faucet cover, then treaded through the hole in the top. I tied this to the bike frame at the point where it was even with the spare sidewall. I also ran a bungee cord from the seat post to the spare mounting post to secure everything. No swaying, rock solid over thousands of miles.

After two years it is time to replace the faucet cover.

You can see the white foam cover and the red bungee in the attached photo where the seat tube enters the frame of the bicycle.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_414f.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21'
Probably not an issue for the Escape, as it is a pretty heavy trailer, but we put a bike rack on our first trailer, an 18' Prowler that weighed maybe 2000 lbs. Back then (1988) they tended to put single axles in the middle of trailers, and there was not a lot of tongue weight on that Prowler to begin with. Adding the heavy steel bike rack and two bikes was enough to tip the scales and reduce the tongue weight to less than 15% of overall weight.

You can guess what happened next...

Consider weight and balance if you put something on the back of a trailer. Just saying!

Here is a posting I wrote for the Casitaclub forum on that topic:

We had a Prowler and put a bike rack on the back of it. How clever of me. Got it up to speed on I-95 and it started swaying like mad. Almost spun out and rolled over - went up on ONE WHEEL.

It can't be the bike rack, right? RIght?

We went to a truck stop to sort things out and as I was having lunch, an old man backed into the trailer and wrecked the bike rack (but not the bicycles). I took this as a sign from God. He sent the old man to smite the evil bike rack!

We put the remains of the rack in the truck and the bikes inside the trailer and - funny thing - no more sway.

Turns out, just the weight of two bikes, plus a heavy camping world rack (it was rather fancy) was enough to take weight off the tongue, making it less than 15% of trailer weight, causing the whole thing to become a sway nightmare.

I see people put stuff on the backs of trailers, particularly small trailers and see them white-knuckle driving while the bed of their truck is empty.

Those cargo rack do-hinkeys that attach to 2" receivers are the worst - they should be outlawed. We see folks on I-95 on their way to Disney with these things on the back of their SUVs or minivans, loaded with totes and junk, and the front wheels of the car so light that they are only contacting the pavement on every third revolution.

Talk about dramatic understeer!

Anyway, I learned my lesson. I've seen a few "cracked eggs" on ebay and Craigslist and wonder if the same thing happened to them.
Robert Platt Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Platt Bell View Post
Probably not an issue for the Escape, as it is a pretty heavy trailer, but we put a bike rack on our first trailer, an 18' Prowler that weighed maybe 2000 lbs. Back then (1988) they tended to put single axles in the middle of trailers, and there was not a lot of tongue weight on that Prowler to begin with. Adding the heavy steel bike rack and two bikes was enough to tip the scales and reduce the tongue weight to less than 15% of overall weight.

You can guess what happened next...

Consider weight and balance if you put something on the back of a trailer. Just saying!
.[/I]
You bring up a fair point. Sounds like it was a pretty scary experience.

The 1-UP is all aluminum so that is one of the things I like about it. The strength to weight ratio is outstanding! Regardless, on my 19’ I made a point of storing heavier stuff in the front and lighter stuff in the rear. This is something one needs to be particularly aware of with the 19’ because of the generous storage under the rear queen bed.

Now on my new 5.0 I’m not as worried since the 5th wheel by design has more weight forward. Also most of the exterior storage in the 5.0 is also forward of the axels.

Still one should always be mindful of proper load balancing.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 05-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
You bring up a fair point. Sounds like it was a pretty scary experience.

The 1-UP is all aluminum so that is one of the things I like about it. The strength to weight ratio is outstanding! Regardless, on my 19’ I made a point of storing heavier stuff in the front and lighter stuff in the rear. This is something one needs to be particularly aware of with the 19’ because of the generous storage under the rear queen bed.

Now on my new 5.0 I’m not as worried since the 5th wheel by design has more weight forward. Also most of the exterior storage in the 5.0 is also forward of the axels.

Still one should always be mindful of proper load balancing.
Like I said, it is probably not an issue for an Escape, because it is a heavier trailer and the axles are further back. For the 5th wheel probably not an issue at all.

We did re-use the rack on our next trailer, a Wilderness 27' 5th wheel, and it worked OK, except that they made the square tube bumper so flimsy, the rack kind of bent it (the previous trailer had a one-piece bumper, the Wilderness had one made of sheet metal, spot welded.

I met a camper once who told me he had the same problem - the bumper bent and the rack just folded down until the bicycle was scraping the road. People were honking and waving and he thought they were admiring his camper.

He got off the road eventually and found the bicycle had been dragging down the road - it looked like a cross-section of a bicycle - it had been ground down in half!

The Escape has a much better bumper and a load receiver, and the rack you have certainly looks sturdy! I doubt you would have have these probloems.

But now you know why I am buying an Escape. Those "stick built" campers can be a real nightmare!

Nevertheless, I am still gun-shy about hanging things off the back of a camper. So for the time being, we are putting the bikes on the truck.
Robert Platt Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Bike pedals that fold

Regarding the problem of bike pedals abrading the spare tire cover, the bikes we carry on a Kuat rack behind our Escape 21 are equipped with folding pedals that clear the spare nicely when retracted.

There are many brands on the market, and any decent bike shop should be able to acquire them. Here's one example that's available online:

https://www.amazon.ca/M-Wave-Alloy-N...gateway&sr=8-3
Attached Thumbnails
BikePedalFolding.jpg  
Old 05-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #12

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
I have had a 1up bike rack for 6 years and it is still as rock solid as the day I bought it. One thing I did on day one was replace the velcro strap that they provide with an NRS strap. Just occasionally remember to check all the nuts and bolts.
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Has anyone used a 1up Heavy Duty Double plus 3rd bike extender on an Escape 19 by chance? The weight comes in at 71.5 for the racks which would leave 78.5 lbs for bikes. Unfortunately all of 3 of our bikes weigh about 30 lbs which puts us 10 lbs over the rating. Is there any extra tolerance in the weight rating or would I be a fool to put 160 lbs of cargo on a 150 lb weight rated hitch? I realize the rear positioning of the extra weight could also be critical. I am not interested in adding a roof rack on the tow vehicle, but also don't want to compromise on safety.

I would appreciate any 3 bike success stories if they are out there, thanks!
Jstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstan View Post
Has anyone used a 1up Heavy Duty Double plus 3rd bike extender on an Escape 19 by chance? The weight comes in at 71.5 for the racks which would leave 78.5 lbs for bikes. Unfortunately all of 3 of our bikes weigh about 30 lbs which puts us 10 lbs over the rating. Is there any extra tolerance in the weight rating or would I be a fool to put 160 lbs of cargo on a 150 lb weight rated hitch? I realize the rear positioning of the extra weight could also be critical. I am not interested in adding a roof rack on the tow vehicle, but also don't want to compromise on safety.

I would appreciate any 3 bike success stories if they are out there, thanks!
My concern would be the overall trailer loading. The 19 is known to be a bit light on the tongue, and this heavy load might be cause for too light of a tongue weight and the potential for sway. Just make sure you check the over all and tongue load before progressing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstan View Post
Has anyone used a 1up Heavy Duty Double plus 3rd bike extender on an Escape 19 by chance?
We have tried this, and no, I would not recommend it. At all.

I didn’t notice any significant handling change in the tow vehicle. The issue is that it created way too much movement with the rack itself and the bikes. This resulted in contact between the handlebars and rear window of the trailer (no damage fortunately) as well as pedal-to-frame contact between the bikes (some damage to the bikes). On two occasions with this setup I also had the front wheel of a bike twist itself loose from the rack, something I didn’t think was physically possible until I saw it.

We made it only about 1/3 of the way back to CO with this setup on our pickup trip. Before we were through Montana I had the third bike on the roof rack and the third 1up tray removed and stowed in the back of the SUV.

Now we regularly travel with two bikes on the 1up on the trailer, and two bikes on the roof rack. Much better and no issues. The 1up is solid, but even in the two-bike configuration the bikes move around much more than when the rack is installed on the SUV.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:11 PM   #16

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Installed today after orientation. Worked great behind my truck so I expect the same with Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1416.jpg  
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:46 AM   #17

This is my latest setup with the 1-UP. I now have an electric assist Trek with fenders and rear rack. I purchased the “Fat Tire” kit from 1-UP and added it to the right side tray. This allows the arm to clear the fender and press against the bike rack stays. I used some 1” plastic tubing around the rack element that normally contacts the tire so the stays don’t get scratched. Works great!
Attached Thumbnails
03648654-F926-45EC-AB93-C0182FE12BE8a.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
Old 09-26-2019, 03:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
We have tried this, and no, I would not recommend it. At all. .

Now we regularly travel with two bikes on the 1up on the trailer, and two bikes on the roof rack. Much better and no issues. The 1up is solid, but even in the two-bike configuration the bikes move around much more than when the rack is installed on the SUV.
One suggestion to reduce movement is to secure the front wheel of the bike to the bike frame with a robust Velcro cinch strap. See the photo on my other post to see an example.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 09-26-2019, 06:09 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Our 1-Up came with two Velcro straps for strapping bike top tubes together so they don’t wiggle independently. They work well. We did buy this rack back when 1-Up was starting out some years back, so don’t know if they still supply the Velcro straps.

We’ve done the three bike setup on our 19, but we endeavor to avoid it because that third bike skews the tongue weight more than I like.

Our county landfill is on our way out of town, and they provide free use of their scales, so if we aren’t too rushed, I like to swing through there when we head out to check our numbers. If you don’t actually measure such things, then you have no idea what your trailer weighs, or how that weight is distributed. Guessing is foolish. Sort of a soapbox issue for me, sorry.

To get back to Ralph’s question, I wouldn’t have a problem putting 160# on our rack, from a purely structural standpoint. But I would absolutely make sure that fully loaded tongue weight was in spec.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post

Our county landfill is on our way out of town, and they provide free use of their scales, so if we aren’t too rushed, I like to swing through there when we head out to check our numbers. If you don’t actually measure such things, then you have no idea what your trailer weighs, or how that weight is distributed. Guessing is foolish. Sort of a soapbox issue for me, sorry.
Scott, does one need to be a county resident to use the scales? We were just camping at Pt Hudson last weekend for the PTFF. We are in P.T. two or three times a year for various events. It would be great to check our weight there.
- Bremerton, WA