12 Volt Televisions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2024, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
12 Volt Televisions

We are not "TV" watchers per se. But we do like to watch the occasional movie at bedtime.

Currently, we do this by using my 13.3" Apple MacBook Pro on top of the 21C drawer stack, an external hard drive loaded with 500+ movies and our little Bose Mini Soundlink speaker. This works well but we would like to have a bigger screen.

This week's 8 day trip with a couple of rainy early evenings brought us to the thought of wall mounting a larger 12 Volt television.

Any thoughts on The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, The Size and The Brands of 12 Volt TVs?

Thank you in advance!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 04:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 E19 "Escape Haven"
We wanted something versatile and compact for occasional use.

We wall mounted a 14” TV... rechargeable Lithium battery, 2 antenna, HDMI, USB, RCA, FM radio, digital tuner, AV inputs, AC/DC, TV stand and remote control.

Have only used it a handful times in 3 years, but it's been good on those occasions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
OneCentHillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
I had asked a similar question, have not bought a tv yet but there was some good info and responses.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ion-25515.html
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We like to watch movies on dark and stormy nights as well as news when it's available. We used to depend on the OTA signal which works well but in some areas the channels we received weren't for us.

That's really changed now. This last weekend we watched the Miami GP live at a remote mountain lake with zero TV signal and a very weak cell signal. The WeBoost did it's job and we hot spotted it to the laptop and then into the TV. Well, we really like watching races live.

The TV is an old 22" Insignia. The advantage is that they have an inline transformer that can be discarded and they operate just fine on the trailer nominal 12V. Even though the transformer says the output is 17V.

Bought two of them used for less than a hundred bucks. Always good to have spares.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
27-12-2019 5-04-55 PM_0005_resize.jpg   27-12-2019 5-06-27 PM_0006_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Supersonic TV and Mounting Dream

See my post here:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post426741

for the 12v Supersonic TV/DVD I bought, and the mount I also bought and installed above the 21c drawer stack. I recommend both.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
We are not "TV" watchers per se. But we do like to watch the occasional movie at bedtime.

Currently, we do this by using my 13.3" Apple MacBook Pro on top of the 21C drawer stack, an external hard drive loaded with 500+ movies and our little Bose Mini Soundlink speaker.

This week's 8 day trip with a couple of rainy early evenings brought us to the thought of wall mounting a larger 12 Volt television.

Any thoughts on The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, The Size and The Brands of 12 Volt TVs?

Thank you in advance!
I’ve been working on our multi media setup this year. My advice:
  1. Think in terms of a multi media system within the trailer
  2. Get a MiFi unit with an unlimited data plan
  3. think about placement
  4. Get a Roku Streambar
  5. Buy 22"-24" set for video

I have a built-in 12V AM FM stereo system, which I prefer when boondocking. It has Bluetooth, so I can play my digital library as well as listen to radio. I can also stream radio & podcasts using our MiFi unit.

We have an AT&T Nighthawk MIFI unit with an unlimited data plan. This gives us total access to the internet, and also allows us to stream content. I wouldn’t go anywhere without a MiFi hotspot.

As you have a Bose mini Bluetooth speaker you can use a MiFi to stream music, podcasts, and internet radio. You may want something larger for better audio.

A 24” TV came with our trailer. I personally would not get anything smaller than 22-24”. It’s just a good size for watching videos.

Our TV is mounted on a wall at the foot of our bed & swivels 180 degrees to face the dinette - exactly like Ron in BC’s photos. This setup works very well, offering maximum flexibility for viewing within the cabin.

Although we have a good rooftop antenna, we do camp in remote areas limiting the number of TV channels we can access. Also, the TV’s speakers are in the back of the set compromising audio quality.

Last summer, we began to stream TV content using our notebook computer attached to the TV via an HDMI Cable. This setup was superior to commercial TV, but was a bit of a hassle. Prior to our winter camping season, I installed a Roku Streambar. The streambar is a combination soundbar (perfect for small trailer cabin) & Roku’s streaming service. This did solved our problems: it provided truly amazing audio. And it was much easier & cleaner to stream content with the Roku streaming player.

The Streambar has a USB port which would allow you to play movies off your external hard disk. This gives you many options. So, I highly recommend that you get a Roku Streambar for you new TV. You can also stream audio content. One problem is that the streambar is not 12v. I assume you have solar. If so, you would need an inverter.

Regarding that TV: I don’t have a recommendation for a specific brand. “RV 12V TVs” are theoretically designed to withstand vibrations when under tow. But they cost more, and there aren’t many manufacturers that produce RV TVs. Audio on these TV are terrible. (Get a Streambar!)
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 02:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:

Currently, we do this by using my 13.3" Apple MacBook Pro on top of the 21C drawer stack, an external hard drive loaded with 500+ movies and our little Bose Mini Soundlink speaker. This works well but we would like to have a bigger screen.

Thank you in advance!
I at first looked into a 12 volt television, but then I just bought a cheap Walmart tv set and use my inverter.
If you don't have an inverter then 12 volt it is.
My only requirement was to have as someone has already suggested, to have it come with built in Roku.
As long as I have cell service it works great with my T mobile hotspot.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 03:11 PM   #8

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
As much as we love how easy it is to search information on the internet, we are doing our best to disconnect. Mother Nature has some pretty interesting content to spend time browsing.

We've gone so far as to cut cable tv, streaming services, etc.... For us, a cheap HD antenna for local channels to catch to weather and sports is good enough. We simply could no longer bear hearing the same stories debated and ground into every single moment of the day just to fill time while purposefully angering and brainwashing their viewers to sell advertising. It's become sickening.

So no Hotspots, Cell Boosters, Satellite Phones, Neuralinks or other fancy gadgetry. Our "smart" phones are more than enough.

I will admit to missing Live Formula One racing.

Thanks for all of the input. It looks like the 12 volt choices are limited but will work for our basic needs
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 03:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 E19 "Escape Haven"
Quote:
...We simply could no longer bear hearing the same stories debated and ground into every single moment of the day just to fill time while purposefully angering and brainwashing their viewers to sell advertising.

Yep! The more we wandered in our Escape, the easier it became to cancel subscriptions and disconnect from media when we returned home.
OneCentHillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Past: 2010 Casita SD(SOLD) Current: 2018 21' Escape(FOR SALE SOON) BUILDING: 2024 Escape 23
HI, We use this one in our 21 c Does AC or DC includes both adapters...hubbie hung it over the corner of the U-shaped dinette. Th nice thing is DVD player right in it. We play dvds at night no internet or wifi needed. https://www.walmart.com/ip/JENSEN-19...hoCafsQAvD_BwE

AND pretty good price!
thanks, Suzanne
SuezqsZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:52 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17b
This is a great site for purchasing a 12 volt TV. These units are carefully chosen and the customer support is excellent (we bought a Skyworth from them for our Escape):
https://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-...olt-tv-dvd.htm
MimStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 21
We also purchased a skyworth combo tv /dvd tv. Love it but unfortunately they haven’t been available since the pandemic.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21
Looked up SuezqsZoo‘s link & found this AC/DC 24” TV. It looks pretty good. Think I’ll research it for myself.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Supersonic...=7&athena=true

It’s 24”, has an HDML Arc port; and is AC/DC. Worth investing in a little research.

You don’t have to go online with a Streambar. The speaker will provide great enhanced audio for your movies. You can link to your external hard movie disk to the Roku Streambar’s USB port.

You won’t need a hotspot if you’re not using the Roku streaming function.

FYI, the ROKU Streambar is on sale for $99 at Best Buy - about $30 savings. This is what I paid on Cyber Monday.

I understand your interest in tuning out the internet when camping.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:38 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 21NE (due 4/20/21)
I bought this one; it is a combination TV/DVD player. I mounted it on the wall. It mounting kit came with two wall mounts so I can move it to each end of the trailer as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
cedar688 is offline   Reply With Quote