17 Build-one year later - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I'm thinking of the 12 volt outside plug. My 12 v cooler also runs w a 120 plug. Is it better to use one than the other when on shore power? same question, i guess, re charging phone/ipad with a usb plug into 120, or into the 12v. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:23 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I'm thinking of the 12 volt outside plug. My 12 v cooler also runs w a 120 plug. Is it better to use one than the other when on shore power? same question, i guess, re charging phone/ipad with a usb plug into 120, or into the 12v. Thanks in advance for the help.
Since most electronic items us DC current, it is more efficient to charge direct for 12v whereas using 120v AC means it eventually converts it back to DC, so some efficiency is lost. Also 120v requires hookups, whereas DC uses your solar and battery.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:15 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
17 Build-one year later

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Shelves added in wardrobe: On each side is some 5mm Lauan plywood, with metal shelf standards bolted with flathead bolts from the back. The shelves provide a press-fit on each side of the wardrobe, so nothing moves, but nothing is actually bolted to the trailer.

Thanks Don! You have given me a great idea for our optional full height cabinet on our 21’.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #24

Trailer: 19/July-18
"-2-way hot water tank –No, we found out from ETI that this is really two purchases (at least for A models), that has to include the hot water tank itself, which is part of the exterior shower option. We don't miss it. We heat water on the stove or outside camp stove as needed for washing, cooking, etc."

What exactly does 2-way hot water tank mean? I am assuming in my build that a one-way HW tank would be propane and 2-way means propane + 120v operation? Is the non-upgraded HW tank actually propane + 120v and the term 2-way mean something else?
dashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashford View Post
"-2-way hot water tank –No, we found out from ETI that this is really two purchases (at least for A models), that has to include the hot water tank itself, which is part of the exterior shower option. We don't miss it. We heat water on the stove or outside camp stove as needed for washing, cooking, etc."

What exactly does 2-way hot water tank mean? I am assuming in my build that a one-way HW tank would be propane and 2-way means propane + 120v operation? Is the non-upgraded HW tank actually propane + 120v and the term 2-way mean something else?
2-way means propane + 120v operation. The dual mode model used is the Suburban SW6DE. The propane only would be the SW6D.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17
Quote:
17A model porta-potty provisions and grey water connections:
The portapotty is on a converted kitchen cutting board, with furniture glides underneath.
The under sink photo shows the entire drain plumbing, running to the hose connection on the exterior, then to the bucket. We use a screen, so no food scraps go down the drain.
I'd love to know exactly what porta-potty you use (assuming you really love this particular model) and what measurements you gave to ETI to allow for such a sweet setup! We are in the middle of compiling our build sheet specs.

And thanks for your detailed review! My husband is especially appreciating your thoughts.

Thanks
AwakenArtemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:39 PM   #27

Trailer: Hopefull future Escapee 5.0
Thanks!

I really appreciate this breakdown. As someone who is looking into a build for an Escape, it is very helpful to see your evolving thought process on what you liked and what you could do without. The photos were great and it was much appreciated.
Sabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwakenArtemis View Post
I'd love to know exactly what porta-potty you use (assuming you really love this particular model) and what measurements you gave to ETI to allow for such a sweet setup! We are in the middle of compiling our build sheet specs. And thanks for your detailed review! My husband is especially appreciating your thoughts.
Thanks

Ronna,
I'm glad you found the review of value.

We have an old (20+ yrs.) Thetford porta-potty, and it appears that all the newer ones are somewhat taller. But, I am sure that ETI has solutions for A model users with porta-potties. (otherwise, an A model makes much less sense.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres View Post
I really appreciate this breakdown.....

Michael,
Glad to help. Now you've got me thinking about a 3 years later review; hmmmm....
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #29

Quote:
..... Now you've got me thinking about a 3 years later review; hmmmm....

Well, I just went and reviewed my one year evaluation, and here, 2 years after that, I think everything we decided is working as intended. I did add a shelf over the bed, with 12V and a set of USB outlets for charging phones, etc. The blue thing is a WiFi booster from Jefatech, which works very well. (It's obsolete now, there are newer, latest & greatest, better things on the market).
Edit:

Also, if you are jigsaw puzzle fans, as we and our camping buddies have become, the LED captains reading lights in the corners light up the table bright enough to even solve those 1000 piece buggers.
Attached Thumbnails
JefaTech wifi amp and USBs.jpg  
Old 11-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I don't know if my Jefatech would now be considered obsolete but it sure met or exceeded my expectations.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0001_resize.JPG   IMGP0005_resize.JPG   IMGP0008_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:56 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Yeah, I wish I'd gotten the exterior 12V for all the reasons you've mentioned. We like our exterior propane hookup, though. A little Weber grill ribs nice off it to cook outside when it's hot.
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:51 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I don't know if my Jefatech would now be considered obsolete but it sure met or exceeded my expectations.

Ron

Ron, We have the booster with coax to the antenna. Jefatech now has a Cat5 unit with active antenna. Ours works fine, though. All of Jefatech's stuff is.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Yeah, I wish I'd gotten the exterior 12V for all the reasons you've mentioned. We like our exterior propane hookup, though. A little Weber grill ribs nice off it to cook outside when it's hot.
I wonder if you can tap off 12V DC under the dinette seat, then to an added exterior outlet. The body shell is easy to drill. The hard part is overcoming the disdain of daring to put a hole in the Escape body.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:26 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Yeah, I wish I'd gotten the exterior 12V for all the reasons you've mentioned
Quote:
I wonder if you can tap off 12V DC under the dinette seat, then to an added exterior outlet. The body shell is easy to drill. The hard part is overcoming the disdain of daring to put a hole in the Escape body.
Not hard to add. I suggest trying to get to a dedicated circuit to the converter 12V board with proper fuse.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...let-12379.html
Old 11-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Ron, We have the booster with coax to the antenna. Jefatech now has a Cat5 unit with active antenna. Ours works fine, though. All of Jefatech's stuff is.
Interesting, mine, the little module on the left with 2 green lights, came with a coax on one end and a Cat5 on the other. They told me that I didn't need to use the Cat5 with the type of antenna that I ordered. Mine might be a transition unit.

At any rate it does work really well and even though I never thought that I'd want my own trailer network, it's proven to be surprising handy.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:19 AM   #36

Trailer: Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not hard to add. I suggest trying to get to a dedicated circuit to the converter 12V board with proper fuse.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...let-12379.html
What kind of fuse do you suggest, Rubicon?
Kinoshita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:40 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinoshita View Post
What kind of fuse do you suggest, Rubicon?
The Furrion 12V plug is rated at 15 amps and my wiring is oversized because that is what I had on hand (can handle much more). I simply wired it up to an empty slot on the WFCO power center DC board and added a 15 amp ATO/ATC style fuse just like the stock ones.
Attached Thumbnails
D96C58D6-1337-485B-8B09-26925B694397.jpg  
Old 11-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #38

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
Thanks for posting, very helpful as we have to finalize the build sheet for next month for our new 17B. We are still trying to make a decision on the windows. Which type do you have, the sliding ones or the ones that open out at the bottom, thanks.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That would be the frameless awning windows versus the framed sliding windows.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #40

Trailer: 2019 17A
Thank you for the information. I will put a deposit for the 17A tomorrow. I like your set up and will use it guide me.
rangerpo is offline   Reply With Quote