17 vs 19 and boondocking - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19'
17 vs 19 and boondocking

I'm curious as to what peoples' experience has been getting their trailer into campsites at Natl Forests, State Parks, and off-the-grid sites. Those in 19s, how often have you wished your rig was just a little bit shorter (like 22"!)/smaller to fit into that perfect site? Trying to decide between a 17 or 19, leaning strongly towards 19, since I'll be full timing it in whatever I get. Just hoping to get as much input as I can before I put down a deposit in a couple of days.
curru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curru View Post
I'm curious as to what peoples' experience has been getting their trailer into campsites at Natl Forests, State Parks, and off-the-grid sites. Those in 19s, how often have you wished your rig was just a little bit shorter (like 22"!)/smaller to fit into that perfect site? Trying to decide between a 17 or 19, leaning strongly towards 19, since I'll be full timing it in whatever I get. Just hoping to get as much input as I can before I put down a deposit in a couple of days.
In my experiences, I don't think the length differences between the 17 and the 19 will effect fitting into sites. I'd go with whichever of the 2 most meets your other wants, needs,etc..

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Trust your instincts. We had a 17 now a 21, and we still get into tent sites in many National, State and County parks.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We have been able to fit our Escape 21 into sites designated for 18 ft or less trailers at Yellowstone and Deception Pass parks. I think you would have no trouble with a 19 as the campgrounds we have encountered are generally over cautious when stating RV length.

Bob K

SSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I recall only one site that might have been undoable in a 19 (and our newer TV) -
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01471.jpg  
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
You may have to pass up a campsite or two with the 19, but if you are planning to full time in it, you will really appreciate the extra room. Have you seen and been in the 17, 19 and 21? Cathy and I went to Chilliwack pretty much set on the 19, but in comparing the 19 and 21, the decision for the 21 was made in minutes. Also when trailers start to get bigger, the tow vehicle becomes a major factor. But remember, it's what works for you. Good luck on a tough decision. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by curru View Post
I
Those in 19s, how often have you wished your rig was just a little bit shorter (like 22"!)/smaller to fit into that perfect site?
Never, never, never That would mean we wouldn't have all the features that made us choose the 19 over the 17. Despite an extensive range of travel I don't recall any site that I couldn't get into with the 19 but could have with a 17.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
There was a campsite in the North Dakota Badlands where we had to park the car along side the Escape 19 instead of staying hitched up -- we wanted to find a better site the next day -- We wouldn't trade in the Escape -- BUT if we didn't care about the bed size, we would have considered the 17. We have fit into some amazingly tight places with the 19.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
We wavered between the two and decided to get the "twofootitis" out of the way up front.

I look at every spot with "can I get the trailer in there" in mind. I don't think the length has ever been an issue; but if it has, it's the cost of having a little more space.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
17 vs 19 and boondocking

I agree with those who've said you can get the 19 into some pretty small campsites. The extra two feet in length (and minimal extra width) don't really pose a problem. And the extra interior space and queen bed are just great. Go with the size that suits your camping style and your need for comfort. Campsite size really isn't a factor, at least for us. Oh, and did I mention how nice a tandem axle tows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 19'
Thank you all for the input. It confirms what I had almost decided already, to go for the 19. I originally wanted a 17B, and looked at one, liked it, but the bathroom was really cramped. And my thought of using the front dinette for a permanent bed started to feel cramped too. Then looked at a 19 and liked it even better, roomier all around, and I can get an oven in it, whereas this wouldn't be possible in the 17. Plus some other options and things that are standard in the 19, but would be extra in the 17.
Now for the heart stopping call to ETI! Very exited, it will be hard to wait for it for a whole year.
curru is offline   Reply With Quote