17B making permanent bed - is there an easier way! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 17B / 2010 GMC Sierra
17B making permanent bed - is there an easier way!

We have a 17B with permanent twin bed. Does anyone have any tips on an easier way to make this bed up. We seem to struggle on this task!

Thank you.
lilkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have a 30 inch wide bed in the front of my 17A, which I believe is the same as what you're addressing. I altered a twin fitted sheet so it fits (easy sewing), covered the inflatable mattress with a flat mattress pad with elastic sewn in the corners so it stays put. I have a sleeping bag in a duvet cover on top...it's folded in half lengthwise during the day with a small quilt on top, and unfolded as a blanket at night. To make in the morning, fold duvet in half and cover.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 17B / 2010 GMC Sierra
My bad - the mattress is not a twin it is a full I believe it’s around 54”. It’s really tough to get the fitted sheets on the side near the back window. I’m sure someone has come up with a great way to fit the sheet properly.

Thank you.
lilkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:36 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With the queen bed in the E19 we bent the edges to install the fitted sheets.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Check out 3/4 size sheets.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 17B
My 17b doesn’t have the permanent bed but my friend’s 17 b does and she had a terrIble time with the fitted sheet. I tried to help and gave up. She finally opted to use a flat sheet instead and just tuck it in around the sides without worrying about getting it under the mattress. She says that the sheet stays put because the mattress is tight against the wall and holds it in place.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkuma View Post
My bad - the mattress is not a twin it is a full I believe it’s around 54”. It’s really tough to get the fitted sheets on the side near the back window. I’m sure someone has come up with a great way to fit the sheet properly.

Thank you.
Unless they changed the dinette space from what it was in my 2011 17B, the widest permanent bed that fits is 48" wide. 3/4 sheets are 48" X 75". I made a permanent bed and used these.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 E19
In my Hauley, I use a 2" memory foam topper on top of some other foam (total 6") in lieu of a regular mattress. So I put the fitted sheet on the 2" thick topper and that's it. It stays put just fine, although it fits a tad loosely of course. Very easy to move the topper around or bend it back on itself to attach the sheet & then flop it into place, and no need to crawl back on top of the bed for that sheet.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Re the Escape website, beds in current 17A and 17B

Front bed 52"X77" (Plan A)
Front bed / dinette 30"x77" (Plan B)
Rear bed / dinette 52" X 77"
Old 07-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkuma View Post
We have a 17B with permanent twin bed. Does anyone have any tips on an easier way to make this bed up. We seem to struggle on this task!

Thank you.
When using fitted sheets, start by climbing on the bed. First tuck the fitted sheet around the far corner, stretch sheet to put around other far corner. Climb of the bed and pull fitted sheet toward you. Fit sheet around hardest to reach (3th) corner. Final corner: lift up mattress a bit to get sheet around the last corner.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Are they putting a 52" mattress in that fits exactly, or a full size (54" that is squeezed in? And if the former, could you fit a soft 54" mattress into the space?
Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
We have a 17B with dinette front and back. Set up the back to a permanent bed and just use the front dinette. DW made a king size duvet which is perfect for the bed when folded in half. Instant top and bottom sheet. Just tuck it in at the foot to keep it in place and good to go.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
How do you maintain access to the storage and utilities areas with a permanent bed in the rear?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #14

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
For us it is not a problem. We use the standard cushions with a topper. They are easy to remove for access.

One bonus is that we can slide 4 milk crates under the table surface opening for extra storage.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:15 PM   #15

I"m trying to decide if there is an advantage to a permanent bed over just removing the cushions and putting a mattress in. Doors on the storage? They kind of look small. Are there any other differences?
Old 06-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We just use the cushions with a topper. Not as comfortable as a proper mattress I suspect. We have four collapsible containers that slide under the table part. If we had the same with doors for access, we would have to use smaller bins and access wouldn't be as easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage.jpg  
Old 06-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 19'
Bobbie, I have struggled with this too. Optimally one can sleep upfront but w a dog crowding a human it is too small. If the dog would sleep on the floor I could do it easily which then leaves the big table up for extra cooking prep space etc because that area is really large. But, for me, I bought a 3 “ memory foam from Walmart, placed on top of the big dinette cushions. This seems to work okay as the old thick geezer rei inflatable wasn’t cutting it anymore.

I would much prefer sleeping in the front & having the large rear dinette for whatever. Oh well! Also, you want easy access to your water heater, converter & water pump so I recommend no permanent bed. I find it’s relatively easy to fold up memory foam & take out driver side cushions for access.
FWIW

Ps take donna’s advice & get 4 cf frig. I didn’t. 😕
Old 06-02-2020, 08:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
Bobbie, I have struggled with this too. Optimally one can sleep upfront but w a dog crowding a human it is too small. If the dog would sleep on the floor I could do it easily which then leaves the big table up for extra cooking prep space etc because that area is really large. But, for me, I bought a 3 “ memory foam from Walmart, placed on top of the big dinette cushions. This seems to work okay as the old thick geezer rei inflatable wasn’t cutting it anymore.

I would much prefer sleeping in the front & having the large rear dinette for whatever. Oh well! Also, you want easy access to your water heater, converter & water pump so I recommend no permanent bed. I find it’s relatively easy to fold up memory foam & take out driver side cushions for access.
FWIW

Ps take donna’s advice & get 4 cf frig. I didn’t. 😕
Definitely 4 cf fridge.

I can't sleep on foam over the cushions so either way I'd put a mattress in. I did have a tri-fold memory foam mattress I used for awhile which gave easier access but it was not sufficiently comfortable. And my dogs will not sleep on the floor, either. But in case of thunder, fireworks, etc, someone always wants to go under the bed which is a good reason to have a dinette. The bad part is storing those cushions I'm not using.

I measured my mattress and it should fit the slightly smaller space in the 17b and it is squishy enough that in a pinch I can push it up and access the bench hatches. But I want outside access hatches so that is no longer an issue most of the time.

So still a little iffy. The dogs would like the under dinette space more than the cupboard under bed space- but I'd rather have a solid platform than have it rest on the table.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
We have the 17B with factory rear bed, inner spring mattress. We use a fitted bottom sheet for a double bed. It's very comfortable. Having slept on a dining table covered with foam cushions we decided a real mattress was what we wanted for extended trips. We slept on it for two months coming home last summer from the factory and were very appreciative of it. It's also suitable to lounge, read, watch the tv that's mounted at the foot of the bed.
The two factory cabinet doors allow access to two large storage bins we keep some of our clothes in.
We also have a factory installed access door on the outside we use to put our folding lawn chairs etc in there.
Further access can be gained by lifting up the mattress to open a large hinged door.
To service the hot water tank (like remove it) a few wood screws would need to be removed.
All the fuses, 12V power switch etc have all been repositioned by the factory under the passenger side front dinette seat.
We have only used the trailer for one season but so far very happy with our decision on the size and configuration of this trailer.
We have resvations for Algonquin Provincial 22 to 27 June. Looking forward to getting back into it.
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
For us it is not a problem. We use the standard cushions with a topper. They are easy to remove for access.

One bonus is that we can slide 4 milk crates under the table surface opening for extra storage.
Right, we do something similar. My question was about acessing storage and utilities with a perminant bed installation.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote