17B vs 19 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #61

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Wunfiddy just needs to be placed in a permeant time out corner
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:49 AM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I welcome any constructive criticism. That goes for the trailer or those who own it. I don't want anyone put in a corner, but also won't stand idly by when the forum is mischaracterized.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #63

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i was worried about the awning but i have had no issues. i listened and learned from others on the forum so i do not fully deploy my awning when its raining hard- would rather be able to fully deploy but not a big issue for me. What i like is that i can easily close it or adjust it and then reopen it. For a gathering in the rain i think bringing a clam shell would work but i rarely travel with a group so i have not needed to do that. I think its OK not to like this feature or not to want an Escape or to criticize Escapes but calling people names (fan boys) for liking these trailers is when we all get a little defensive.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:27 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I'm very happy with my 2nd Gen Escape 19, but if there was one thing I could change, it would be to have the manual awning that was used on the previous generation Escapes. I had a similar awning on my previous RV, a Winnebago class A and loved it, even though yes, there are a few steps to go through to deploy and retract it. Never had rain shedding issues with it in any position and I felt like it was a lot more sturdy than these power awnings, due to the bracing arms that connect to the lower part of the camper. I keep wondering why they discontinued that awning. If it were the need for reinforcement in the new molds, why not add them?

I find with the power awning that I wish it could tilt downward like the manual awnings. This would help keep the sun off the passenger side of the camper when the sun is low in that direction and no doubt, there would be less of a concern about water shedding and wind gusts, provided used sensibly. Extending and retracting with "a remote" is nice, but certainly introduces additional things that could go wrong in the future. I have found that because of these reasons, I don't use my awning nearly as much as I did on the previous RV, and I miss that.

I tried to compensate for the situation by purchasing the standard size Clam, but I find myself debating on whether or not to take it on each trip, as it's 6' long collapsed and about 34 pounds. Also had it to do over again on the Clam, I think I would opt for the smaller one.

Again, I think the Escape 19 is a winner, love it and would buy it again. Just not in love with the power awning and puzzled as to it's demise on current production units.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #65

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Progress, most new campers have power awnings, embrace it like we did with power windows and brakes in our cars.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Progress, most new campers have power awnings, embrace it like we did with power windows and brakes in our cars.
Sure, as long as it works properly and isn't a step backward in capability. Not being able to deploy it in rain isn't progress. It's kinda the main reason we use our awning in the first place.

I think the Carefree awning is aptly named.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #67

Trailer: None now
Quote:

Not being safe to use in the rain without constant monitoring is like being told your new Ford has power brakes. Then after you buy it you discover a notice in the vehicle manual it is not to be driven it in rain because they will lock up at the slightest touch.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:57 PM   #68

With every camper's awning I have owned, Carefree or otherwise is a disclaimer, this product is for shade only and should be monitored with windy and rain situations. Sorry, I never expected the awning to be a raincoat and approach it's use that way. If you want a rain protector you may be disappointed. If you accept this premise you will be happier. That's my story and I'm sticking to it....
Old 01-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
With every camper's awning I have owned, Carefree or otherwise is a disclaimer, this product is for shade only and should be monitored with windy and rain situations. Sorry, I never expected the awning to be a raincoat and approach it's use that way. If you want a rain protector you may be disappointed. If you accept this premise you will be happier. That my story and I'm sticking to it....
Love the one you're with. I hear ya. [emoji23]
Old 01-31-2018, 04:01 PM   #70

Here is their warning:
Awnings are designed to provide shade and protection from
the sun. The effects of wind and rain on an awning are unpredictable and can cause severe damage to the awning and/or the vehicle. If wind or extended periods of rain are expected, roll up the awning.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
Here is their warning:
the sun. The effects of wind and rain on an awning are unpredictable and can cause severe damage to the awning and/or the vehicle. If wind or extended periods of rain are expected, roll up the awning.
I know full well what it says Jim, but you and I also know what it does. Provided there aren't heavy winds, you've sloped the awning, and it's tight, you can leave the Carefree deployed in the rain without issue, as hundreds of us here on the forum have done. That's just different from the power one.

Is it enough of an irritant for me to not get a new Escape if I were considering one? No, but it is an irritant.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:10 PM   #72

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Here is their warning:
But their ad says.
  • Power awning's wind sensor automatically retracts awning in strong winds for maximum protection
  • Automatic Rain Shed makes it easy to drain away accumulated water
Both of which they refuse to honor if you were to rely on the feature.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:27 PM   #73

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
To state the obvious, ETI isn't an awning manufacturer. The only thing they can do is select an awning from the list of available awnings on the market. In my opinion, the Dometic 9500E is one of the best available awnings currently. Yes, it does have drawbacks and tradeoffs. If you want a different set of tradeoffs, then ETI offers a manual Carefree option as an option. I don't think there is anything else that ETI could do beyond this, so count me in as one of the fanboi.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #74

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
We thank our lucky stars we have the awning we have . Actually experience with a third in over 30 plus years . When we arrive at a camp the awning comes out and unless wind got really , really extreme it stays that way until we leave . We use the clamps and it is tilted . I can set it up by myself , in minutes in or out . Love our awning and the only other 2 nd best for us would be a Fiamma . The push button motor doesn't do it for us. Not putting anyone down with what they have , but so glad we have the old tried and true . Never had one unravel either . We have just in case straps on when it is rolled up . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:11 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We thank our lucky stars we have the awning we have . Actually experience with a third in over 30 plus years . When we arrive at a camp the awning comes out and unless wind got really , really extreme it stays that way until we leave . We use the clamps and it is tilted . I can set it up by myself , in minutes in or out . Love our awning and the only other 2 nd best for us would be a Fiamma . The push button motor doesn't do it for us. Not putting anyone down with what they have , but so glad we have the old tried and true . Never had one unravel either . We have just in case straps on when it is rolled up . Pat
Don't know anything about the Fiamma but other that you took the words right out of my mouth. Including the use of straps
Old 01-31-2018, 11:13 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Got my 17B last March...almost a year old now. Love the fact it's small and maneuverable. Totally comfortable for myself and the dog. And I went with the manual awning option. Works great and yes I roll it up when it's windy or raining. I'd much rather be out enjoying my RV than take a risk with the awing and spend the rest of my vacation looking for a repair shop. Life is short...
Old 02-01-2018, 01:17 AM   #77

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Don't know anything about the Fiamma but other that you took the words right out of my mouth. Including the use of straps
Yup Sunrisetrucker those straps are important ,just in case . Also the clamps we have always used . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:57 AM   #78
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Yup Sunrisetrucker those straps are important ,just in case . Also the clamps we have always used . Pat
what are you guys using for straps?

my 21's carefree came with some sort of 1" wide yellow plastic straps that get in the way after you unfasten them... they curl around the poles.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:15 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
what are you guys using for straps?

my 21's carefree came with some sort of 1" wide yellow plastic straps that get in the way after you unfasten them... they curl around the poles.
My 21 old style awning came unfurled, even with straps on the arms. I was shocked.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:16 AM   #80

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
many trailers, up in size, now down in size

In 40 years we have gone from 13' to17' to 19' and 21'. That's with 3 different glass
trailers plus many other RV's. We sold our 21 last year but we now miss it, except for
it's large (?) size so we just sent in the check for a 17. The B has what we need, a bath, permanent double bed, 2 place dinette and all other Escape features including a kitchen window, and I hope to be able to pull it forward down my drive, turn it around and park it. We plan on going to Quartzite to visit and we may even see a 17B.
Jack and Nancy
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote