17B vs 19 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #81

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome back, Nancy and Jack....glad you are feeling better and back in the saddle.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #82

We too have torn with the idea of a 17b as a way of getting it inside a 8' garage if we ever relocate. I wonder if Escape would ever consider the side a/c mount again to keep the roof clear?
Old 02-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #83

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My 21 old style awning came unfurled, even with straps on the arms. I was shocked.
Jim that was unfortunate what happened . My quess is the awning wasn't in it's final latched position and maybe the black knobs weren't tightened. We always give awning a tug after it's rolled up and make sure it's secure . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
what are you guys using for straps?

my 21's carefree came with some sort of 1" wide yellow plastic straps that get in the way after you unfasten them... they curl around the poles.
They sell straps or I have made my own from years of previous RV 's covers saved strap material . Make sure to heat ends of material if you do so it won't unravel . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0279.jpg  
Old 02-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #85
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jim that was unfortunate what happened . My quess is the awning wasn't in it's final latched position and maybe the black knobs weren't tightened. We always give awning a tug after it's rolled up and make sure it's secure . Pat
Arm latches locked, knobs tightened, and the lever in the retract position. 3 years and thousands of miles later, not a single issue with the awning, and we haven't used any additional straps. I guess we're living on the edge.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Arm latches locked, knobs tightened, and the lever in the retract position. 3 years and thousands of miles later, not a single issue with the awning, and we haven't used any additional straps. I guess we're living on the edge.
Yes that is all that is needed but just in case the straps are there . Pat
Old 02-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #87

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I suspect that if the strap that opens the awning is placed too close to the edge of the awning, that it can flap around while driving and potentially open the lever.
I now roll my strap up well away from the edge. And, I use straps made up from a roll of Velcro.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning strap 2.jpg  
Old 02-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #88

Here are some photos, you can see the straps were still attached...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2115.jpg   DSCN2117.jpg   DSCN2118.jpg   DSCN2120.jpg  
Old 02-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #89
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here are some photos, you can see the straps were still attached...
The lever looks like it's in the open position in the photos. That would allow the awning to loosen and unfurl when buffeted by the wind. In the close position it won't budge, because the spring force is making it wind the other way. Arm straps will not help in that situation.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #90

The lever was in the close position when I closed the awning, something moved that lever in transit. Plus with the straps holding the arms tight they did not move.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #91

I finally made a velcro strap that secured the lever in the close position, that is what was needed.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #92

Trailer: 2018 5TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
As some of you know I have a 19 on order. I starting to think 17B would meet my needs. I was thinking 19 for the bigger bed, but our casita had a 54" bed that was fine for us.so maybe if we could get by with a 52" in the 17. I really like the the advantages that the 17 has over the 19

1. cost
2.single axle (tolls and tires and cost of ownership)
3.weight and MPG 550lbs lighter
4.size outside as we use some remote campsite
5. Batteries on rear bumper( frees up the front storage box)

If i did switch to 17B i think i get the large fridge witch i believe takes some space out of the walk way

my tow rig is 2013 Tacoma witch should tow the 17 with ease

I thought i put it out there and see what members thought . I know some have had both.

I don't want to end up in a 17b and wishing I went 19.I guess thats my biggest fear I know that the natural progressing is to go larger .I believe when most people up grade they go larger. I am Not sure I need the extra room,but I don't want to be cramped. Really my only RV experience has been pop ups and casitas . we have enjoyed the casita . we love how it tows and the large bath . I guess the only bad thing is sometimes wish we had a little more room.

I working with ETI to find a local 17B 2nd generation to look at ,but it looks like it might be a few states away. I did look at a first generation one a few years back. we where not that serious then and I do remember walking away saying there smaller than I thought. We got into a 19 and liked the size inside,seemed nice. of course it was a referral so we did not feel comfortable lying in the bed.
We loved, our 2015 19' Escape. Never even felt like we were towing anything. The queen sized, permanent bed was the clincher. Spent over 15 months in it over 2 years. For those days when it's bad weather outside, it's nice to have some space. We've never had issues getting it into some tight camping spaces (no, not boasting, just trying to say that it's quite maneuverable). However, I would caution you to check your towing capacity of your Tacoma. Our first trailer (not an Escape) was 5500 lbs, dry, for our truck which had a 7500 lb towing capacity, and we ended up maxing our towing capacity. It made our cross Canada trip unpleasant, having the gas pedal floored for even moderate incline hills. Don't forget that you'll be adding hundreds of pounds (include the drivers weight) with a loaded truck and trailer!
ian&denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #93

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
dedicated bed and dinette. period.

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I suspect that if the strap that opens the awning is placed too close to the edge of the awning, that it can flap around while driving and potentially open the lever.
I now roll my strap up well away from the edge. And, I use straps made up from a roll of Velcro.
Never thought about the strap causing trouble. , we always have it in the middle when rolled up. We move it to the side and wrap a arm when awning is open only . Maybe that is another reason we never had a problem. Pat
Old 02-01-2018, 07:01 PM   #95
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Never thought about the strap causing trouble. , we always have it in the middle when rolled up. We move it to the side and wrap a arm when awning is open only . Maybe that is another reason we never had a problem. Pat
I also put the strap in the middle when I roll it up. It's easier to pull it down when you're working from the middle, and that's how it came so I never thought to change it. There's no way my strap can interfere with the latch because it's several feet away.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #96

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
We are in a similair position. Go with the 17B or the 19. My wife prefers the 17B. She likes the smallness. She doesn't like the idea of towing a house behind us. We are coming from camping, back packing etc, so even a 17B is something very luxurious. Our intention is to have a nice bed to sleep in, and the rest of the time be outside, but if the weather is really crappy, then we have refuge inside to cook and eat.
I like the idea of a permanent bed, so I would have the 17B optioned with the permanent bed. The 2 person dinnette would be big enough for 2 of us, and possibly grand children. Bottom line is both trailers are super nice, but I think the 17B would suit us the best.
I would also caution you about not only the towing capacity of your Tacoma, but also the payload capacity and the combined vehicle weight. The Tacoma doesn't have a huge payload, so when you put the tongue weight, two people, possibly canopy, trailer hitch and whatever else you put in the back of the truck, you will quickly run out of payload. The 17B gives you a bit more room in that department. Good luck with your decision, I suspect you will be happy with whatever you choose
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #97

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian&denis View Post
However, I would caution you to check your towing capacity of your Tacoma.
There are many, many forum members using 2nd and 3rd generation Tacoma's to pull their 19' and 21' Escapes without issue. The key factor is that they need to be 4X4 models with the tow package and the 6,400 lbs tow capacity. The 2X4 models only have a 3,000 lbs capacity. I currently have a 2016 TRD Sport pulling a 2013 19' Escape. Prior to that I had a 2014 SR5 with tow package that also was quite capable. Remember that an new (2nd gen) Escape GVW is 5,000 lbs. 1st gen 19 foot Escapes have a GVW of 4,000 lbs. Much less than the dry weight of 5500 lbs of your first trailer.

The tow package includes a tranny cooler, anti-sway bars on the rear, larger alternator and battery, and factory wiring for a brake controller to the 7-pin plug.

That said, I agree that one should be mindful of payload and towing capacities. Factor in passenger weight, cargo weight, etc and ensure that one distributes the load appropriately within the trailer and between the trailer and the tow.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #98

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
There are many, many forum members using 2nd and 3rd generation Tacoma's to pull their 19' and 21' Escapes without issue. The key factor is that they need to be 4X4 models with the tow package and the 6,400 lbs tow capacity. The 2X4 models only have a 3,000 lbs capacity. I currently have a 2016 TRD Sport pulling a 2013 19' Escape. Prior to that I had a 2014 SR5 with tow package that also was quite capable.

The tow package includes a tranny cooler, anti-sway bars on the rear, larger alternator and battery, and factory wiring for a brake controller to the 7-pin plug.

That said, I agree that one should be mindful of payload and towing capacities. Factor in passenger weight, cargo weight, etc and ensure that one distributes the load appropriately within the trailer and between the trailer and the tow.

Prerunners also are rated to tow 6400 Lbs and have all the same features.
And are 2x4.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #99

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When reading these threads, one needs to double check with the dealer because what is included in a package may not be included in another country. My Canadian RAV4 had a bunch of goodies that weren't included in the U.S. version.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #100

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Just did a quick run of some numbers. A 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport has a towing capacity of 6400 lbs and a payload of 1155lbs.
The 19 is 2950 lbs dry before options. If you assume 1000 lbs of propane, water, gear, bicycles etc, you are at 3950 lbs. If you assume a 12% tongue weight you have 480 lbs, plus 2 people at 150 lbs each, that is another 300 lbs, a hitch weighs 50 - 100 lbs, so lets assume 50 lbs, a canopy if you have one weighs 200 lbs. Totals up to 1080 lbs leaving you 125 lbs to put other things like a dog, gear etc in your truck. With the 17B's lower weight your tongue ends up at 410 lbs using the same 12% tongue weight and the same 1000 lbs of gear in the trailer, so you gain an extra 70 lbs available to put in your truck.
You can always really minimize the gear and water you put in the trailer to reduce the overall weight and hence the tongue weight, but at the end of the day, the Tacoma is getting tight on payload. Just make sure you don't eat the extra donut at the coffee shop.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote