17B vs 19 - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #101

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Prerunners also are rated to tow 6400 Lbs and have all the same features.
And are 2x4.

Oops! Quite right. I stand corrected. Thanks!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #102

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Just did a quick run of some numbers. A 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport has a towing capacity of 6400 lbs and a payload of 1155lbs.
The 19 is 2950 lbs dry before options. If you assume 1000 lbs of propane, water, gear, bicycles etc, you are at 3950 lbs. If you assume a 12% tongue weight you have 480 lbs, plus 2 people at 150 lbs each, that is another 300 lbs, a hitch weighs 50 - 100 lbs, so lets assume 50 lbs, a canopy if you have one weighs 200 lbs. Totals up to 1080 lbs leaving you 125 lbs to put other things like a dog, gear etc in your truck. With the 17B's lower weight your tongue ends up at 410 lbs using the same 12% tongue weight and the same 1000 lbs of gear in the trailer, so you gain an extra 70 lbs available to put in your truck.
You can always really minimize the gear and water you put in the trailer to reduce the overall weight and hence the tongue weight, but at the end of the day, the Tacoma is getting tight on payload. Just make sure you don't eat the extra donut at the coffee shop.
Perhaps some carry more gear than I. The few times I have weighed my trailer loaded I have never had a tongue weight more than 350 lbs. I also do not have a canopy. I do have a 50 lb tonneau cover. So that gives me an extra 140 lbs of donuts! Bottom line, my real world experience has been a positive experience.

There are those on the forum that choose an Highlander instead of the Tacoma for the increased cargo capacity (200+ lbs or more depending on model) and the better ride.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #103

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Perhaps some carry more gear than I. The few times I have weighed my trailer loaded I have never had a tongue weight more than 350 lbs. I also do not have a canopy. I do have a 50 lb tonneau cover. So that gives me an extra 140 lbs of donuts! Bottom line, my real world experience has been a positive experience.

There are those on the forum that choose an Highlander instead of the Tacoma for the increased cargo capacity (200+ lbs or more depending on model) and the better ride.
The older Gen 2 DBLCab Prerunner short bed has a payload of 1450 Lbs and the 6 foot bed has a payload of 1395 Lbs so we have a little more breathing room.
Since I never was LEO I never really got into donuts ( ducking )
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:01 PM   #104

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
320 - 340 lb. tongue weight on my 2009 17B, and I stack six cases of beer under the front dinette to get to that weight.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #105

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jim that was unfortunate what happened . My quess is the awning wasn't in it's final latched position and maybe the black knobs weren't tightened. We always give awning a tug after it's rolled up and make sure it's secure . Pat
Yesterday when I was washing and drying off our 21, the towel wrapped around the awning lever and opened it. I quickly closed the lever, and gave a tug to the strap to make sure it was still engaged. If I hadn’t done it immediately, I would have forgotten.......

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #106

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
It is great to hear the real world tongue weights for both the 19 and 17B that is being experienced is lower than my estimates. Will of course depend on how much beer I put in the trailer. It makes it much more manageable when it comes to the payload numbers. Thanks for everyone's feedback. This forum is amazing for the amount of information that is available. Really helps in narrowing down my options.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #107

Trailer: 2023 21
I chose the 17B based on my needs now (not retired), knowing that I will graduate to a larger model when I start spending two to three month's in it.
Attached Thumbnails
20171111_151010.jpg  
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #108

Your rig looks nicely set up, at least in my inexperienced eyes. Doesn't look like you have a WD hitch. Do you find it doesn't need one?
Old 02-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #109

Any issues with sway?
Old 02-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #110

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
17B vs 19 towing

I towed my 17B with the FJ Cruiser (5000 lb tow capacity) no WDH, no issues with sway ever. I tow my 19 with the same vehicle same 5000 lb capacity, Pro Series WDH, no sway control, no issues with sway ever. Just my experience but driving all over Alberta, BC and Montana. I think the FJ is basically a short wheelbase Tacoma with a different body, so the Tacoma should handle the 19 no problem.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #111

Trailer: 2016 Escape 17B
The only problem I have with the 17B is the bed. I can't seem to find a mattress I'm happy with. You are limited to about a 5" deep mattress and I'm having a tough time with one that doesn't cause a little discomfort during a nights sleep.
gelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #112

Trailer: 2023 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Your rig looks nicely set up, at least in my inexperienced eyes. Doesn't look like you have a WD hitch. Do you find it doesn't need one?
I do have a WDH, it's just not on in this picture. It does make a difference. If you look closely you can see some squat, with thr WDH, there is none.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #113

Trailer: None yet
I'm in kind of the same situation; pondering the difference between a 17b and a 19. I feel like it comes down to this:

The 19 is:
~$5,000 more
~1,000 lbs more (therefore More fuel burn and vehicle capability)
1 extra axle. Good for safety, bad for turning radius, tolls, tires, and fuel burn.
~ 6" wider bed
Deeper mattress allowance (I just learned this. Thanks Gelaine for making things even MORE complicated )
wider aisle
Bigger bathroom

Each of these things matter to people in different ways. How to decide

The $5k is significant, but if you end up suffering from 2 foot-itis, the resulting sell/buy will easily cost that much.

We really need to go visit ETI.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #114
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachr0n View Post
The best approach is always to see them in person. The 17 and 19 feel very different inside. Spend some time in each.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #115

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The best approach is always to see them in person. The 17 and 19 feel very different inside. Spend some time in each.
Yipper!
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelayne View Post
The only problem I have with the 17B is the bed. I can't seem to find a mattress I'm happy with. You are limited to about a 5" deep mattress and I'm having a tough time with one that doesn't cause a little discomfort during a nights sleep.
Do you have the permanent bed option in your 17B, or are you putting a mattress on top of the seat cushions? I would have thought, but could be wrong, if you go with the permanent bed option then the mattress would be similair to the 19.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
They are indeed very different. When I first saw the 17, then looked at the 19, in my mind the 19 was the way to go. I thought my wife would agree, but she was exactly the opposite. For me I can see advantages to both, but in my wife's mind the 17 is the best, because of size. She thinks the 19 is to big.

As they say happy wife happy life.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #118

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yes the 19 is more money right now but when you sell it you will get more money for it. If it is $5,000 more than the 17B you may get $3,000 more in resale. So in the long run it only cost you $2,000 to have a bigger trailer. Adjust the numbers as you see fit.
One thing that would be interested to know from ETI is how many more 19s do they sell than the 17Bs. It’s it 2 to 1? If so, it might make for an easier and faster resale.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #119

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
17B vs 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachr0n View Post
I'm in kind of the same situation; pondering the difference between a 17b and a 19. I feel like it comes down to this:

The 19 is:

~$5,000 more

~1,000 lbs more (therefore More fuel burn and vehicle capability)

1 extra axle. Good for safety, bad for turning radius, tolls, tires, and fuel burn.

~ 6" wider bed

Deeper mattress allowance (I just learned this. Thanks Gelaine for making things even MORE complicated )

wider aisle

Bigger bathroom

Each of these things matter to people in different ways. How to decide

The $5k is significant, but if you end up suffering from 2 foot-itis, the resulting sell/buy will easily cost that much.

We moved up from a 17B to a 19 for the following, and in the following order of importance to us:

1. Permanent queen bed, no longer have to choose between sleep and eat mode, and sized much better for the two adults plus inevitable one kiddo who always sneaks in during the night [emoji1413]. In the 17B it was like sardines in a can.

2. Oven (not available in 17B)

3. Slightly bigger bath (can gather up pants from ankles in 19 without grinding face against wall, like in 17B ((I’m 5’11”))).

4. Nicely and slightly bigger everything else, while still not too big. Trailer still small enough that it fits almost anywhere, unlike bigger rigs.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:48 AM   #120

Trailer: None yet
Thanks for your feedback everyone, and for starting off this thread @Newyorkhillbilly. Since posting my list of differentiators I've thought of the foul weather factor, If we were only summer camping and spending the days under the awning, the smaller nighttime accommodation wouldn't be such a burden. If we were still out there in October, November in the rains, the 'tin can' factor may come into play. Especially if we have a ~40lb dog. Still going to go to ETI for a walkthrough. Nothing beats hands on experience.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote