17B vs 19 - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #141

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Good to know...thanks Hugh and happy trails!
JimHol58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #142

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
FJ owners

Sounds like there are enough FJ Cruiser owners towing Escapes out there to set up a group?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #143

Trailer: 2016 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
Sounds like there are enough FJ Cruiser owners towing Escapes out there to set up a group?
I agree. We need suggestions on additional gas. I average about 12mpg. With the 18 gal tank, you get to these remote areas, you have to stop and top off whenever you can.
gelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #144

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
FJ owners

I set up a group under communities, title will be obvious. My first post will be on mileage.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #145

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelayne View Post
It's a 4 seat dinette that I have decided to turn into a permanent bed. Currently, I have a custom 5.5" Elation Gel from MattressInsider.com. The problem is, with the 17B, the counter extension table that flips down only allows for about a 5 in mattress. Also, the deeper the mattress, the higher your head and feet are...Issues with windows (emergency exit hardware and shades).
Yes I can see that would limit your mattress depth. If you order the permanent option on the 17B from the factory, they can move the converter to the front, enclose under the bed and add access doors similair to the 19, and replace the 4" cushions with a 8" coil mattress. They charge $500 for this option
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #146

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If you buy a 19 today you can get it July 19 that is 53 days before you can get a 17. That is a lot of good summer camping time this year and you can make it to the Boler 50th event!

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #147
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
If you buy a 19 today you can get it July 19 that is 53 days before you can get a 17. That is a lot of good summer camping time this year and you can make it to the Boler 50th event!
Yes, but production dates aside, the best thing about it is, you'll have a 19.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #148

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, but production dates aside, the best thing about it is, you'll have a 19.
Well I could go on and on how good the layout and bed size of a 19 is going to be for us...but for many years we had a Boler, camping with our young daughter and dog. It was great at the time as we did everything but sleep outside. A quick squeegee and wipe of the inside when we got up and outside we went for the day. Just the pilot light of the furnace kept us all warm at night and best of all it had a propane fridge! We would take our new full size bbq that had a side burner (state of the art for the day). Just roll it in with the kids bike and roll it out when we got there.
I can see the appeal of both 17 models as l have no problem with portapoties. If it had the same size mattress in the back as the 19 it would have been a contender.
Attached Thumbnails
F821FA98-2317-4436-AE40-6224E4D27499.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:25 PM   #149

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
They are indeed very different. When I first saw the 17, then looked at the 19, in my mind the 19 was the way to go. I thought my wife would agree, but she was exactly the opposite. For me I can see advantages to both, but in my wife's mind the 17 is the best, because of size. She thinks the 19 is to big.

As they say happy wife happy life.
I'm in the middle of the 17B vs 19 decision now myself. It sounds like you had decided on the 17B but your signature shows a 19? What changed your mind, and is the wife happy?
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #150
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I'm in the middle of the 17B vs 19 decision now myself. It sounds like you had decided on the 17B but your signature shows a 19? What changed your mind, and is the wife happy?
Greetings John, from a fellow former USAF Air Traffic Controller. Radar as well!

We debated between the 17 and the 19 back in 2014. We even put a deposit down on a 17. A wise fellow who owns a 19 here in the area asked me to stop by and take a look. While I was there, he convinced me to go with the 19. Best decision we made. Of course everyone is different, but if you haven't seen them in person, I suggest you get in touch with a local owner. Escape can refer you.

Salutations from a fellow scope dope.....

Romeo Kilo
Old 06-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #151

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Not the person you were asking, but we've had both and of the two, the 19 is the best. Loved our 17B but the queen bed and larger dinette of the 19 has been a huge upgrade for us.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #152
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
we looked at 17's and 19s, and chose the 21 so we don't have to climb over each other to get out of bed, and we prefer the front bed rear dinette layout as most of the places we camp, the view out the back is more scenic.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #153

Quote:
We ended up with the 19 and are happy we made that choice. After thinking about it and spending a bit of time in one at the Escape showroom, my wife agreed the 19 was the better size. With the permanent queen bed, and a 4 person dinette, that was the clincher for both of us. The 17B you could make the 4 person dinette into a permanent bed, or simply leave the dinette set up as a bed, but we felt the 2 person dinette was a bit snug (we are both fairly small people). We didn't want to continually turn the 4 person dinette into a bed and back again.

We too are coming from tenting to a trailer, so everything is just very luxurious and comfortable. Having never towed before, I am finding it surprisingly easy. Backing up the 19 is very forgiving with the dual axles. We tow with a V-6 Gas GMC Canyon and find the truck very adequate. We have towed the Coquihalla Highway and maintained a steady 95 - 100 kmh (I don't like going above 100Kmh very often when towing). Also crossed the Sierra Nevada's in California. Some of those hills were steeper and longer than the Coquihalla but was still able to maintain 80 -90 kmh. When not towing the GMC Canyon is more suitable for us in Vancouver streets and parking lots vs a full size truck.

We have found the 19 has plenty of space and we have yet to fill all the cupboards and shelves. Having a pick up vs a SUV is also handy for us. We like to carry a very small portable BBQ with its own propane tank, and having that in the pick up bed works great. We also carry our lawn chairs, outdoor mat etc in the bed of the truck. For all the kind of dirty stuff a pick up bed is great.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
We ended up with the 19 and are happy we made that choice. After thinking about it and spending a bit of time in one at the Escape showroom, my wife agreed the 19 was the better size. With the permanent queen bed, and a 4 person dinette, that was the clincher for both of us. The 17B you could make the 4 person dinette into a permanent bed, or simply leave the dinette set up as a bed, but we felt the 2 person dinette was a bit snug (we are both fairly small people). We didn't want to continually turn the 4 person dinette into a bed and back again.
Well, the last 4 comments make me feel good about deciding today to get the 19. I really wanted the 17B to work, and kept thinking of different ways we could invite another couple in if it's raining out, but after considering all the scenarios and with the deciding factor that we wanted a real mattress, we called and ordered a 19 today, since that already has the mattress and 4 person dinette without any need to jump through any hoops.
Thanks for all the advice and comments!
Old 06-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Greetings John, from a fellow former USAF Air Traffic Controller. Radar as well!

We debated between the 17 and the 19 back in 2014. We even put a deposit down on a 17. A wise fellow who owns a 19 here in the area asked me to stop by and take a look. While I was there, he convinced me to go with the 19. Best decision we made. Of course everyone is different, but if you haven't seen them in person, I suggest you get in touch with a local owner. Escape can refer you.

Salutations from a fellow scope dope.....

Romeo Kilo
Robert, Radar contact!
I'm sure we have met at Bluebonnet, we will have to go over our past careers next time we're there. I remember seeing "Past Tents" before and pointing it out to Marilyn.
I guess our next Bluebonnet will be in a 19' Escape instead of our 16' Scamp.

Hotel Yankee
Old 06-30-2020, 11:52 PM   #156
Site Team

Quote:
I remember seeing "Past Tents" before and pointing it out to Marilyn.
Probably so John, I have a terrible memory - well about meeting people that is. Hopefully by the time Bluebonnet rolls around again this whole COVID thing will have run its course.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:59 PM   #157

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
I guess our next Bluebonnet will be in a 19' Escape instead of our 16' Scamp.
Congratulations!!!

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:54 AM   #158

Quote:
Well, the last 4 comments make me feel good about deciding today to get the 19. I really wanted the 17B to work, and kept thinking of different ways we could invite another couple in if it's raining out, but after considering all the scenarios and with the deciding factor that we wanted a real mattress, we called and ordered a 19 today, since that already has the mattress and 4 person dinette without any need to jump through any hoops.
Congratulations. I am sure you will be very happy with your choice.
Welcome to the Escape Family!!
This forum has been a wealth of knowledge for me. There are a lot of people on this forum that have forgotten more than I will ever know. It is a great resource for modifications, problem solving and just over all good camping choices.
Enjoy!!
Old 07-01-2020, 01:29 AM   #159

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
To confirm your choice of a 19' with a four-person dinette, I offer . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Charly.jpg  
Old 07-01-2020, 07:16 AM   #160

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Great choice. Best of luck with the 19.