19 or 21??? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
19 or 21???

We have no issues making the bed in our 19. The mattress isn't wedged in tight as some have mentioned. No condensation issues either, but the insulation and thermal window package, and the fact that we leave the Maxx Fan running on low exhaust during the night may be why.

Go with the layout you like. Both have their pluses and minuses.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
19 or 21???

In our previous trailer we had to climb over sideways to get out of bed for middle of the night bathroom trips. We vowed NEVER AGAIN. The Escape 21's bed is at least as big as that trailer's bed and the walls prevent you falling off, so you can lean against them a bit. It makes the bed seem bigger. Having the dinette at the rear with views on 3 sides is priceless. Meals, reading and just sitting enjoying the lake and wildlife from the comfort of this area are awesome. The 21's bed works for us. Try laying on it before assuming you need a queen. It might work for you too.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We finally chose the 19 because of two issues: the larger bed, and because the 21 absolutely pushes the envelope for turning/backing/parking in my back yard.

Had to have the queen size bed because we are both really extra-large. The middle of the night climbing-over issue is a true great inconvenience to our creaky old bones but we have come to accept that, even if Ben the wonder dog has not.

No perceptible condensation issues noticed around the bed. Tucking in sheets is hard work. Love my tan blinds. Hate their back-digging spool mechanism. I do keep buffered with a couple nice pillows. I would dearly love to have the extra head room of a 5.0 but that and us passing each other in the aisle’s my only space issue. We have never yet filled up the storage spaces.

The 19’s length has been a very pleasant, issue-free towing and parking size, where ever we have gone.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
What absolutely wonderful feedback for Reace and Tammy.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We have no issues making the bed in our 19. The mattress isn't wedged in tight as some have mentioned. No condensation issues either.
Yes, I think that issue is overstated. I have room for my flip up counter extension to fit between the end of the mattress and the wall. So the mattress is hardly wedged in there.

One of the things that works really well for our use is that I can enter, sit or lounge on "my side" and then exit without any disturbance to my wife in the kitchen etc. The "traffic pattern" works for us.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
19-09-2014 12-04-36 PM5_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I agree about the traffic pattern. That is huge for me and since Terry almost exclusively uses the table to hang out (as opposed to me who uses the bed) he can come and go when I'm working in the kitchen area and most of his important stuff is right near the table. Also, there really is room to pass each other in the 19 (probably the 21 also). The guy who showed us his trailer way back before we bought ours pointed that out and he was right.

I love that the 19 is small enough to fit into some really tight spaces -- and also that Terry can maneuver it amazingly well -- he can back it up without me (although it makes me nervous) if we're in a tight spot in a gas station or a parking lot where going forward isn't such a good idea.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
One of the things that works really well for our use is that I can enter, sit or lounge on "my side" and then exit without any disturbance to my wife in the kitchen etc. The "traffic pattern" works for us.
This is a good way of looking at it. All the trailers basically have 3 areas, the bed, the kitchen, and the dinette. With the 19, during the day the bed is right out of the picture, and the kitchen and dinette are easily assessable from the doorway without interference to either area.

This is one thing that will be a compromise even with the 5.0, is that even though the bed is right out of the way, we will have to go through the kitchen to access the dinette. Not ideal, but methinks there is no ideal in any of the models.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I wonder if ETI didn't start having their mattresses made just a little smaller. In our 21, we have it down a couple of inches from the front wall and it just covers the platform at the end. And shoved tight against the bathroom wall, it allows a couple of inches to the exterior wall. This really solves the problem of the condensation issues.

As for choosing the correct size trailer, it is an entirely different situation for every buyer. Only the buyers can make that choice and the best way to do this is figure out their wants and needs and compare the trailers side by side. And living in Chilliwack is an advantage over most of us. But I really do wonder what ETI's best selling trailer is. Anyone know? Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I wonder if ETI didn't start having their mattresses made just a little smaller.
I think I had heard something about this too, Loren.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yes, Loren, there is plenty of room around our bed and I can guess that there now is more room around the 19' beds also.

Ruthe, I meant the sun can wake someone who is not up when the door is opened. The 21' curtain keeps out the sun. Once up, sun is good!

A queen is 60" X 80" which is what the 19' has. There are people such as Myron who need more room in the bed and the 21' bed will just not work. There are some who have medical problems where they do not want a climb-over. (I know there are people buying a 21' because they do not want to do steps to the bathroom in the middle of the night or steps at all, which may also be a medical issue for some, so they are getting a 21' rather than a 5.0.) We did the climb-over in the 19' but glad to get up now without it in the 21' and no disturbing the other person.

One of the advantages of the 19' is that under-dinette storage can be accessed from the door. That is the reason we added another exterior hatch to the 21'.

When the 21' was being designed, there were those who insisted that the dinette should be at the back because most parking spots have the best views out of the back, not looking at the tow vehicle out of the front. True. Then those people bought 5.0s! Well, they get the view out of the back, too!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 21 ft. with 2013 F150 Tug
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the difference in bathroom size as a reason for one over the other. That was the deciding factor for us, that and with the 21 you don't have to crawl over the other person to heed the call of nature
grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by grump View Post
and with the 21 you don't have to crawl over the other person to heed the call of nature
I'm always somewhat surprised by this comment because it hasn't been our experience. We've had similar beds to the 21, like this one, in RV's. Just the act of moving covers aside and scrambling down to the foot of the bed is enough to make us aware that the other is getting up. Usually prompting a "me too"

The only mobile bed that we've ever had that let one person get out of bed without disturbing the other was an island queen in our aft stateroom.

So the bed situation in the 21 wouldn't ever be a deal maker for us.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
PB190224_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #33

Quote:
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the difference in bathroom size as a reason for one over the other. That was the deciding factor for us, that and with the 21 you don't have to crawl over the other person to heed the call of nature
I have mentioned the bigger bath and so have others in other threads and, yes, that is definitely nice. I would not pick it as the main reason to switch but you do. The main difference to most is still probably the bed and then there is the counter space.

If you are a boondocker, the extra bath space is worth much more and I am just guessing that 21' owners probably do not have as many boondockers among them as for the smaller models. The bigger the trailer gets, the more features and appliances it tends to have and the owners want those items plugged in many times. And then they have campground showers and the rest.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the difference in bathroom size as a reason for one over the other.
I'm actually quite surprised and pleased with the bath size in the 19. The 17 we had was tight in the bath, but the 19 bath is good and I can even stand up to shower.
Now the bath in the Bigfoot 21 had a separate full shower stall or tub/shower and that would make a big difference in a bath to consider. Never have looked at this closely but I've often wondered how Bigfoot got such a nice bath in their 21 with seemingly the same bed next to it as the Escape.
For us personally, the bath difference isn't enough between the 19 and 21 and wouldn't be a factor, but for someone needing any additional room in the bath, it could be a factor.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Having someone crawl or climb over me and maybe even step on me, is a lot more awakening than the covers moving and some motion nearby. Either of us can scoot off the end of the bed of our 21 with less of a commotion than our previous trailer. But that's just us. Maybe some people are better climbers than scooters. ; ~ )

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #36

Yes, big difference. We can scoot better than climb.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I'm actually quite surprised and pleased with the bath size in the 19. The 17 we had was tight in the bath, but the 19 bath is good and I can even stand up to shower.
Now the bath in the Bigfoot 21 had a separate full shower stall or tub/shower and that would make a big difference in a bath to consider. Never have looked at this closely but I've often wondered how Bigfoot got such a nice bath in their 21 with seemingly the same bed next to it as the Escape.
For us personally, the bath difference isn't enough between the 19 and 21 and wouldn't be a factor, but for someone needing any additional room in the bath, it could be a factor.
Yes, that's the deal. Everything is relative to what you used to have.

Bigfoots are wider trailers and that costs a lot in mpgs.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #38

Quote:
I am in the camp of having the bath as small as possible, yet still be able to use when needed. I would MUCH rather have the space for use elsewhere in the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Having someone crawl or climb over me and maybe even step on me, is a lot more awakening than the covers moving and some motion nearby. Either of us can scoot off the end of the bed of our 21 with less of a commotion than our previous trailer. But that's just us. Maybe some people are better climbers than scooters. ; ~ )

Bob K
In the 19 whoever was on the backside of the bed would just stand up and step over the other person. Very easy to do, with little disruption. Not saying at all it is perfect, but for us a reasonable compromise for the preferred layout. Though for us, this issue will become moot when we get the 5.0, getting a full queen, and easier access to the bed. Still gotta climb though, but over stairs, not each other.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:20 AM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Now the bath in the Bigfoot 21 had a separate full shower stall or tub/shower and that would make a big difference in a bath to consider.
I'm not at all convinced that a tiny shower and tiny toilet area are better than one larger dual-purpose area, but to many people the separate shower is an important feature... which no Escape has.

Quote:
Never have looked at this closely but I've often wondered how Bigfoot got such a nice bath in their 21 with seemingly the same bed next to it as the Escape.
Bigfoot went wide long ago. Although the 21'/5.0TA has the widest Escape body, it is still 8" or 20 cm narrower than a Bigfoot, and that pays off in space for the Bigfoot bathroom.

The comparison here - for those not familiar with the Bigfoot line - is to the 25B21RB (which means 2500-series, moulded fiberglass Bigfoot trailer, 21' overall length, rear bedroom floorplan), which is much like an Escape 21' reversed end-to-end.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:21 AM   #40

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
When I ordered the 5.0 I thought it would come with the 21's wider bath, guess that's what you get when you order before one's been built. I bang my elbows a lot in the smaller one, other then that it works. I also see how the wider one would intrude too far into the aisle.